Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Best Onsens

Best Onsens

Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:29 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Best Onsens

What are your favorite onsen locations in Japan? Hakone?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA JAL
I been to Nagano, Hakone, and Hokkaido for onsen and each of them have their charms. What I'm about to say is purely personal opinion:

1. Nagano itself doesn't have much to see, I strictly went there to enjoy the ryokan experience and look at some snow monkeys. It's relatively easy to get there from NRT by bullet train and I rented a car from Nagano to reach the mountain area where the onsen are.
2. Hakone has a good amount of stuff to see but the cable cars can be packed! From Hakone, you can drive to Mt Fuji using car rental in Hakone. I should of get at least 1 or 2 nights in the Mt Fuji area so I can explore the area a bit more.
3. Hokkaido, specifically, Toya and Noboribetsu, are nice but would be better if you have access to a car. Last time I only used rail and couldn't check out the surrounding area because I have no idea about how to use the bus.

My sister went to Fukuoka and seem to like it but it's one of those $500 USD per person per night ryokan. I'm basically going through the list on Japan Guide and see which one peaks my interest.
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2292.html
kapooncha likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some interesting suggestions here:
Any other onsen towns like Kurokawa Onsen?

Personally I like Tokyo itself for onsen.
Tokyo Onsen
Many are completely unique and I do my very best to experience them as much as I can. They provide a tangible link to the city’s past (hard to imagine a more authentic connection with the Edo period) and yet they are fast disappearing from modern society. Whilst still seemingly plentiful, they are disappearing at a dizzying rate (some of my very favourites from my first visits to Tokyo are already long gone), only a fraction are left, and out of those that have survived some of those are changing into something rather different (super sento).
kapooncha and tinkerbell78 like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:31 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I can definitely hit one when in Tokyo. I've also got 2 extra nights, I could go to either Beppu or Takayama.

Last edited by kapooncha; Jan 30, 2019 at 11:52 am
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:46 am

You might consider one in Nagano, Gunma, or Fukushima if you'd like to do an overnight. Compare it to the cherry blossom map and pick an area a little colder or warmer than Tokyo and Osaka to hedge your blossom bets.

My general feeling about Hakone https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30287104-post3.html

Beppu... Beppu itself is like older Reno while Kurokawa is upscale carefully curated Colorado high end ski resort. They're not that far apart and Yufuin is also between them which is a cuter town with some shopping and sightseeing. I finally visited Beppu (an onsen mecca) and stayed in JR Kyushu Blossom Oita on top of the train station which was a great choice for me as I had a few other small onsen ryokan stays planned in the Aso region.
kapooncha and evergrn like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:10 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freecia
You might consider one in Nagano, Gunma, or Fukushima if you'd like to do an overnight. Compare it to the cherry blossom map and pick an area a little colder or warmer than Tokyo and Osaka to hedge your blossom bets.

My general feeling about Hakone https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30287104-post3.html

Beppu... Beppu itself is like older Reno while Kurokawa is upscale carefully curated Colorado high end ski resort. They're not that far apart and Yufuin is also between them which is a cuter town with some shopping and sightseeing. I finally visited Beppu (an onsen mecca) and stayed in JR Kyushu Blossom Oita on top of the train station which was a great choice for me as I had a few other small onsen ryokan stays planned in the Aso region.
Where did you stay in Kurokawa? Looks nice for a night but the ryokans there are quite expensive. I was maybe thinking Ryokan Wakaba as I found a good rate on Japanican.com.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:29 pm

Kurokawa's popularity has been increasing so prices have shot up especially in the luxury segment and English speakers. There are a few onsen towns near Kurokawa which are less expensive and still mostly domestic travelers. There's a good kurokawa onsen hopping blog by a English teacher who teaches ryokan staff https://kurokawa-onsen.com/category/onsen-hops/ Onsen hopping with an onsen pass is one of the selling points in Kurokawa. I stayed at two high end ryokans around Kurokawa last fall, one a repeat, as part of a special occasion trip. Kurokawa is a few hours from Oita or Kumamoto by car or bus so while you could make it for a 2 night stay from ITM/KIX or HND, you might lose a few hours of onsen time to transit.

The Kurokawa thread also mentions a few other towns (a map feature would be helpful) I'd probably head for Hirayu or Fukushima if the weather lines up rather than Northern Kyushu for 2 days. I'd allocate more than 2 nights for Kyushu or Hokkaido onsens since there is a lot of quality water.

You might also find this thread useful Hot springs along the new Hokuriku Shinkansen route to Kanazawa?
tinkerbell78 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:32 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I won't be driving so I'll have to see what I can do and what I can't.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:46 pm

Many ryokan onsen will pick you up from a nearby train station with advance reservation First trip to Japan - suggestion for hot spring vacation ?

A few of the onsen ryokans in Kusatsu run complimentary or inexpensive buses to Karuizawa ~ 1.1 hr by shinkansen from Tokyo station. Ryokan shuttles are usually timed for afternoon arrival at the ryokan and morning departure. There's also public buses from Karuizawa or Tokyo if you'd like to extend your time there. You can send your luggage between the cities via takkyubin while you visit an onsen en-route.
LapLap likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:20 pm

You will get different advice from different people regarding which onsen areas are the best.

Also depends on what type of accommodation you're looking for (ex: Yugawara Onsen is good but lacks the variety of quality lodging that Kawaguchiko has), whether you're only interested in your hotel onsen or if you're looking for that quintessential onsen town feel (Kusatsu, Kinosaki, etc, would be good), your budget, accessibility, how much you value views, whether you want to stay on or get away from beaten path, whether you want modern or old-school, etc, etc.

However, most onsen aficionados will agree on the following as far as standards for a preferred onsen destination:
- Onsen town/area has healthy onsen output volume.
- Onsen town/area has gensen (the source hot spring water) that's of a respectable natural temperature (this is arbitrary, but you'd want at least >40C).
- Hotel/ryokan itself has its own gensen (jikagensen) with healthy output volume.

But it's also true that you can't just look at stats. For example, Kinugawa Onsen looks good on paper, but I'm not impressed by the quality of their onsen. In Hakone, the quality of onsen water varies from property to property, even if you're comparing two places that both advertise as having jikagensen with kakenagashi (= "free flowing", but this can be misleading, so I no longer put much stock in it) onsen. Ultimately you have to (or I do at least) look at the stats to narrow down the choices, then read reviews before choosing a place.

My favorite places, all things considered:
Kusatsu, Hakone (Miyanoshita, Gora, Sengahara area), Northern Alps area (Oku-Hotaka, Hirayu, etc), Noboribetsu.

I haven't been to many places in Kyushu... not a fan of Beppu (freecia's description is just about right), but Yufuin is good. Have always wanted to visit Kirishima Onsen, but it is not easy to get to. Bunch of great places in Nagano. Manza, Shirahone, Yudanaka, the list goes on. Some good places in Yamanashi also.
freecia likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by evergrn
You will get different advice from different people regarding which onsen areas are the best.

Also depends on what type of accommodation you're looking for (ex: Yugawara Onsen is good but lacks the variety of quality lodging that Kawaguchiko has), whether you're only interested in your hotel onsen or if you're looking for that quintessential onsen town feel (Kusatsu, Kinosaki, etc, would be good), your budget, accessibility, how much you value views, whether you want to stay on or get away from beaten path, whether you want modern or old-school, etc, etc.

However, most onsen aficionados will agree on the following as far as standards for a preferred onsen destination:
- Onsen town/area has healthy onsen output volume.
- Onsen town/area has gensen (the source hot spring water) that's of a respectable natural temperature (this is arbitrary, but you'd want at least >40C).
- Hotel/ryokan itself has its own gensen (jikagensen) with healthy output volume.

But it's also true that you can't just look at stats. For example, Kinugawa Onsen looks good on paper, but I'm not impressed by the quality of their onsen. In Hakone, the quality of onsen water varies from property to property, even if you're comparing two places that both advertise as having jikagensen with kakenagashi (= "free flowing", but this can be misleading, so I no longer put much stock in it) onsen. Ultimately you have to (or I do at least) look at the stats to narrow down the choices, then read reviews before choosing a place.

My favorite places, all things considered:
Kusatsu, Hakone (Miyanoshita, Gora, Sengahara area), Northern Alps area (Oku-Hotaka, Hirayu, etc), Noboribetsu.

I haven't been to many places in Kyushu... not a fan of Beppu (freecia's description is just about right), but Yufuin is good. Have always wanted to visit Kirishima Onsen, but it is not easy to get to. Bunch of great places in Nagano. Manza, Shirahone, Yudanaka, the list goes on. Some good places in Yamanashi also.
Have you tried the Hyatt Hakone? It's in Gora.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: RFC
Aoni Onsen, in Aomori. Best done in winter for the full experience.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by kapooncha
Have you tried the Hyatt Hakone? It's in Gora.
Yes, but I'm not the right person to provide feedback as it's been ~10yrs since I last stayed there.
You're best off asking in the Hyatt forum... I'm sure the hotel has a thread going.
I think it was a very nice place, although it's good for what it is... a chic property that's perfect for r&r and obviously more incentive if you're a Hyatt person.
On the other hand, if the onsen is your priority or you want a quintessential ryokan type experience, it's probably not the place to go.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by evergrn
Yes, but I'm not the right person to provide feedback as it's been ~10yrs since I last stayed there.
You're best off asking in the Hyatt forum... I'm sure the hotel has a thread going.
I think it was a very nice place, although it's good for what it is... a chic property that's perfect for r&r and obviously more incentive if you're a Hyatt person.
On the other hand, if the onsen is your priority or you want a quintessential ryokan type experience, it's probably not the place to go.
Alternatively, kapooncha can stay there and go visit a decent onsen independently in the Hakone area.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LapLap
Alternatively, kapooncha can stay there and go visit a decent onsen independently in the Hakone area.
That's an option, but if Hyatt's onsen isn't that great, not sure it makes sense to redeem 25k Hyatt points.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.