Computers at NRT Customs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Computers at NRT Customs

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Computers at NRT Customs

Coming through NRT last month, I noticed something new at the Customs checkpoints: computers. They now scan your passport before sizing you up and asking any questions or doing an inspection. I wonder what the computer tells them? I would guess that any history of previous Customs violations would be one thing.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Every country I remember visiting scans passports on a computer
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Steve M
Coming through NRT last month, I noticed something new at the Customs checkpoints: computers. They now scan your passport before sizing you up and asking any questions or doing an inspection. I wonder what the computer tells them? I would guess that any history of previous Customs violations would be one thing.
Automated border control systems (ABC) or eGates are becoming more common.
As a guess the screen would show your Japanese immigration/emigration history. And maybe more.

Flying between NZ & Australia frequently I have not talked to an immigration agent for years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automa...control_system
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Every country I remember visiting scans passports on a computer
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Automated border control systems (ABC) or eGates are becoming more common.

Flying between NZ & Australia frequently I have not talked to an immigration agent for years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automa...control_system
You both are referring to Immigration checkpoints. And yes, most countries use computers at them (either with an officer or an eGate).

But that's not what I'm talking about. What I'm talking about is at Customs - that is, after you claim your bags and as you go through the Green Channel / Red Channel exit. Until this most recent experience at NRT, I've not seen them scan passports at Customs as a routine matter, either in Japan or any other country.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
You both are referring to Immigration checkpoints. And yes, most countries use computers at them (either with an officer or an eGate).

But that's not what I'm talking about. What I'm talking about is at Customs - that is, after you claim your bags and as you go through the Green Channel / Red Channel exit. Until this most recent experience at NRT, I've not seen them scan passports at Customs as a routine matter, either in Japan or any other country.
Quite right, virtually everyone says customs when they mean immigration, I just assumed (subconciously, didn't even notice it, though it's something that usually bothers me). Yes not seen that before, either.

Could be all or some of:

- your country, is it on a higher alert list
- are you personally flagged
- which flight were you on, is that origin on a high alert list
Old Feb 25, 2019, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
- which flight were you on, is that origin on a high alert list
It would not surprise me if this is part of the streamlining effort they're undergoing in the run-up to the 2020 Olympics. They've already added those machines to do the fingerprinting and photo before you get to the Immigration officer. At first I though the passport scan at Customs was going to slow things down, but perhaps its there to speed things up: the officer has to ask fewer questions as the computer can advise on things like travel history, time out of the country (for residents), and country of origin for the inbound trip. Those used to be done by flipping through the passport pages and asking questions.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 5:40 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
They've already added those machines to do the fingerprinting and photo before you get to the Immigration officer.
I flew into NRT on 25-Jan and noticed these new machines. Not sure if it actually helps with efficiency though. Strangely enough even though it's just a month ago, I have no recollection of whether my passports were scanned at customs. I vaguely recall handing my passports and customs declaration form to the customs officer but then nothing after that.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:05 pm

hmm... I entered Jpn 2x in the past 2 months (hnd, cts). I remember the passport scan kiosks at passport controls, but don't remember it at customs. Will need to pay closer attention next time.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by evergrn
hmm... I entered Jpn 2x in the past 2 months (hnd, cts). I remember the passport scan kiosks at passport controls, but don't remember it at customs.
At NRT, there are not kiosks at Customs, but rather a scanner/computer that the officer uses. I don't know if they are at any other airports.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:03 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
the computer in customs after baggage reclaimed has always been there. only if they decide to bug you...

that said, recently they just scanned my passport which has monthly entry histories (pretty much) and not ask if have gold, gun, or cannibis.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
I remember customs desk having computer screen at Japanese airports as long as I can remember, but as Steve M said officers rarely made use out of those computer screen. Could be new procedural thing, and as Steve M suggests that it is possible that has something to do with 2020 Olympics. Authorities are open about more and more security procedures will be implemented as get closer to 2020 Olympics.
kaka likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: A3*G, DL Platinum
HND has been doing this for many months now -- did notice the practice has now spread to NRT. It does seem to reduce the number of questions that are asked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.