Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kyoto to Yokohama Port Rail Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2019, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Kyoto to Yokohama Port Rail Itinerary

We will be spending a week in Japan before boarding a ship at the Osanbashi ship terminal in Yokohama, bound for, among other destinations, Okinawa and Taiwan.
After studying the matter, I think the best approach is to take the Tokyo-bound Shinkansen from Kyoto to Shin-Yokohama, change there for the JR Yokohama line, and ride one stop to Kikuna station, where a transfer is made to the Tokyu Toyoko/Minatomirai line that will then go directly to Nihon-odori station adjacent to the Osanbashi ship terminal.

The other alternative would be to disembark at Shin-Yokohama as described above,and then to take the JR Yokohama line to Yokohama central station, where a connection would be made to the Minatomirai line.

I'm thinking that avoiding a transfer at a busy station like Yokohama central is a good idea.

We are not traveling with heavy luggage.

Thoughts, anyone?

Last edited by Reindeerflame; Feb 3, 2019 at 10:48 am
Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:53 pm
tt7

Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
We will be spending a week in Japan before boarding a ship at the Osanbashi ship terminal ... I think the best approach is to take the Tokyo-bound Shinkansen from Kyoto to Shin-Yokohama, change there for the JR Yokohama line, and ride one stop to Kikuna station... The other alternative would be to take the JR Yokohama line to Yokohama central station... I'm thinking that avoiding a transfer at a busy station like Yokohama central is a good idea.
Probably six of one, half a dozen of the other. To get to Nihon-odori from Shin-Yokohama, you either change at Kikuna or at Yokohama. You may well be right that changing at Kikuna may be easier. I'd look at what time the Shinkansen arrives at Shin-Yokohama and, based on that, see what the options are .... bearing in mind that the Shinkansen usually has separate gates (so you have to exit the Shinkansen gates and then re-enter the JR gates) and what the connection times are at Kikuna and Yokohama (they seem to be about 4 - 10 minutes).
Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:58 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Kikuna would be a more manageable station than Yokohama, but I expect you'll be accustomed to Japanese stations by the time you get there.

The fastest way would be to exit the JR station at Shin-Yokohama and take the subway to Kannai. From Kannai, it's about a mile to Osanbashi pier - A nice walk if you're not weighed down with luggage. Or a cheap cab ride.

Cheaper would be to take JR Yokohama Line to Sakuragicho (fare included in your Shinkansen ticket). Then cab.
Kannai likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jib71
Kikuna would be a more manageable station than Yokohama, but I expect you'll be accustomed to Japanese stations by the time you get there.

The fastest way would be to exit the JR station at Shin-Yokohama and take the subway to Kannai. From Kannai, it's about a mile to Osanbashi pier - A nice walk if you're not weighed down with luggage. Or a cheap cab ride.

Cheaper would be to take JR Yokohama Line to Sakuragicho (fare included in your Shinkansen ticket). Then cab.
We used the connection via Kikuna, which was very easy and pleasant...escalators at all locations. We used our JR Pass on the Yokohama line from Shin Yokohama to Kikuna, and then used our Suica cards for the Tokoyo/Minatomirai line to Nihon-Odori, fpr an easy walk to the pier, following some Japanese passengers also obviously bound for the Diamond Princess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.