Cheap restaurant / eat-in fastfood chain - rating/opinion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheap restaurant / eat-in fastfood chain - rating/opinion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2020, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by LapLap
Was looking up Ringer Hut Premiums for an acquaintance who will spend a month travelling through Japan on a limited budget. I get what that does to your digestive system, so knowing where to get half a kilogram of vegetables and roughage affordably will be invaluable.
I bought a few "green drink" which was basically pre-mixed aojiru in water from various supermarkets. It comes in a green tinted square-ish PET bottle priced around 100 yen and it didn't sink the the bottom like self mixed vegetable dietary powders. Kind of a funny thing to put in the fastfood chain thread but is kind of a useful thing to know in this context, too.
LapLap likes this.

Last edited by freecia; Jan 10, 2020 at 2:19 am Reason: spelling
Old Jan 10, 2020, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, people. Who is ready for Mister Donut x Pierre Hermé?

https://www.misterdonut.jp/m_menu/new/200110_001/

Disclaimer; I have not yet ever eaten anything from Mister Donut. But I do have a dreadful weakness for the Ispahan combination of rose, raspberry and lychee, so if this promotion still lasts until Easter I’m snared.

ETA - and the Mogador flavours have been included too

Promotion is from now until mid February. May possibly get one flown back to London in February as a Birthday request.
If anyone tries these and thinks they’re foul, please do put me off the idea! (Another option might be keeping it frozen for 6 weeks until I arrive)
MattEvan likes this.

Last edited by LapLap; Jan 10, 2020 at 2:37 pm
Old Jan 20, 2020, 7:17 pm

Programs: Global Entry · WN, UA, AS, DL, NH; IHG, Wyndham, Hilton, Best Value Inn, Marriott, Starwood, Ramada
Post A food blogger.

In the span since my last reply in this thread, this is an English-language weblog by another Steve D. who visits any number of restaurants in Tokyo, not just ramen shacks, mostly on the west side. ^
Old Jan 20, 2020, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pudgym29
A food blogger.
Thanks for playing, but [klaxon noise] rules are
Originally Posted by evergrn
I guess what we’re discussing here is a recognizable budget dining brand that would have maybe have 50+ locations.
With over 160,000 restaurants in Tokyo, one thread cannot rule them all, or find them, let alone bring them all or bind them.
Pureboy likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 4:22 am
Original Poster

I just found out Cafe du Monde disappeared from Jpn a year ago.
This is kind of sad.
I told someone recently there're more Cafe du Monde in Jpn now than New Orleans. I can't remember whom I said that to, and now that person's spreading false info to the rest of the world.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 8:25 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only genuine Hawaiian malasadas (which are quite different from the Portugese ones) outside of Hawaii are available at the Leonard's branch in the World Porters building, Minatomirai, Yokohama. This is across the street from the Cup Noodles museum.

I never expected to see a Leonard's there, just stumbled across it by coincidence.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
The only genuine Hawaiian malasadas (which are quite different from the Portugese ones) outside of Hawaii are available at the Leonard's branch in the World Porters building, Minatomirai, Yokohama. This is across the street from the Cup Noodles museum.

I never expected to see a Leonard's there, just stumbled across it by coincidence.
I've been to that one, although did not order anything (got something next door, though).
They also have L&L in the underground shopping center in Kawasaki.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 5:56 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
This is kind of sad.
I told someone recently there're more Cafe du Monde in Jpn now than New Orleans. I can't remember whom I said that to, and now that person's spreading false info to the rest of the world.
According to Wikipedia, the franchisee shut them down in March 2018 after ending the contract, yet one of the local New Orleans papers had an article dated last year on the Japanese operations. I wouldn't feel too bad about missing that then!
evergrn likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 9:35 pm

I've been to that one, although did not order anything (got something next door, though).
They also have L&L in the underground shopping center in Kawasaki.
Good to know, I miss having luncheon meat musubi and cola for my salty/rice fix..
Old Apr 28, 2020, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
This is kind of sad.
Well, good riddance. Did you know that the Cafe du Monde in Kyoto Station (the only one I was familiar with), did not sell beignets? What was the point, then?
Old Apr 28, 2020, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pickles
Well, good riddance. Did you know that the Cafe du Monde in Kyoto Station (the only one I was familiar with), did not sell beignets? What was the point, then?
That’s weird that they didn’t have beignet. I have been to that one in Kyoto Station, in addition to Ikebukuro. Can’t remember what I ordered in Kyoto. Hopefully they at least had chickory coffee.
Cafe du Monde is nothing extraordinary and not something I’d go out of my way for, but it was just cool that they existed in Jpn.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 10:16 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
This article says that they served a range of beignets. Perhaps you needed to master the correct katakana pronunciation. Always tricky to guess which way these things will go: ベンイエ or ベンヱー or ベイニェット or .... I feel sorry Viennese students of Japanese, who must learn to pronounce their city neither by the Katakana approximation of its German name nor by the Katakana approximation of its English name, but by the Katakana approximation of an English mispronunciation of its German name.
https://untappedcities.com/2012/01/0...ts-in-japan-2/
Old Apr 28, 2020, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by jib71
This article says that they served a range of beignets. Perhaps you needed to master the correct katakana pronunciation. Always tricky to guess which way these things will go: ベンイエ or ベンヱー or ベイニェット or .... I feel sorry Viennese students of Japanese, who must learn to pronounce their city neither by the Katakana approximation of its German name nor by the Katakana approximation of its English name, but by the Katakana approximation of an English mispronunciation of its German name.
https://untappedcities.com/2012/01/0...ts-in-japan-2/
Served in the past tense:

Originally Posted by untappedcities.com/2012/01/05/cafe-du-monde-abroad-beignets-in-japan-2/
Unfortunately, the Kyoto Station branch stopped serving beignets several years ago. In late-2003 they offered perfectly shaped, sushi-size beignets served in paper boxes.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 11:27 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Served in the past tense:
Right you are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.