Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cherry Blossom 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2019, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Won't be getting to Kyoto until mid April 915 to be precise). Guess the blossom period will be almost all if not totally over?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 4:36 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
That late, you are almost certainly right. Cherry blossoms will likely be done unless the weather turns cold. If it stays warm, you will likely be able to enjoy the wisteria, which is all over Kyoto.
LapLap likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, with the horrendously powerful typhoons that dumped unprecedented amounts of salt water all over Western Japan (affecting many trees in such a way that there were reports of cherry blossom in October) there’s some expectation that this year’s Sakura season will be skewed towards an early start.

https://livejapan.com/en/article-a0001033/

The first proper forecasts should start being released towards the end of January (typically around the 25th).

I concur with abmj-jr, look for opportunities to enjoy the wisteria (which I personally love). I’ll be in Tokyo when you arrive and leave Japan. At that time I’ll be planning a visit to the Suigo Sawara Aquatic Botanical Gardens, in surrounding Chiba. Although we won’t be there for the peak of the season, am hoping that we can still enjoy some of the earlier flowering iris varieties. Another flower of which I am extremely fond.
freecia likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:36 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LapLap
Also, with the horrendously powerful typhoons that dumped unprecedented amounts of salt water all over Western Japan (affecting many trees in such a way that there were reports of cherry blossom in October) there’s some expectation that this year’s Sakura season will be skewed towards an early start.

https://livejapan.com/en/article-a0001033/

The first proper forecasts should start being released towards the end of January (typically around the 25th).

I concur with abmj-jr, look for opportunities to enjoy the wisteria (which I personally love). I’ll be in Tokyo when you arrive and leave Japan. At that time I’ll be planning a visit to the Suigo Sawara Aquatic Botanical Gardens, in surrounding Chiba. Although we won’t be there for the peak of the season, am hoping that we can still enjoy some of the earlier flowering iris varieties. Another flower of which I am extremely fond.
I thought so too although it was easier for me to book hotel reservations late March than it was early April. So while I tend to agree with an earlier expectation, it seems others don't. Although my hotel "evidence" is certainly anecdotal.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kapooncha
I thought so too although it was easier for me to book hotel reservations late March than it was early April. So while I tend to agree with an earlier expectation, it seems others don't. Although my hotel "evidence" is certainly anecdotal.
The “Japan is incredibly expensive” fact of the 80s continued (continues?) as a myth for decades.
That early April is the best time for cherry blossom was also true not so long ago helps keeps this rule of thumb advice going too (helped by the fact that, on the odd, rare occasion, early April still is the best time).
This second one is a persistent myth that will suit hoteliers in destinations popular with National tourism, as the end of March coincides with the school holidays. To then expect in April a swathe of foreign guests following the advice of their guide books must be very profitable.

Nevertheless, touristic Kyoto HAS reached saturation point when it comes to guests. February (date varies) brings an influx of Chinese tourists on their New Year Holidays. In March, the Japanese kids are off school. April brings beautiful weather, perfect for touring temples and gardens. April also coincides (most years) with Easter holidays which enables another swathe of foreign visitors to visit.
By May, the temperature starts to get muggier and touring becomes progressively more exhausting for older visitors. Makes sense that the April Is the Sakura Season mantra persists, it’s convenient for everybody.

In London, we still get overseas visitors who schedule in visits to Carnaby Street. The idea that it is in any way “happening” hasn’t been true since the 70s and yet the myth that it is a worthwhile destination still lingers and persists.
kapooncha likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:34 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Haha I do think Japan is very expensive. Not San Francisco expensive but it's up there.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Haha I do think Japan is very expensive. Not San Francisco expensive but it's up there.
No it’s not.

What comparisons are you making? Because I don’t know many places in the world where I can feel safe and secure as a female and yet stay, eat well and even travel around on a less than US$50/¥5k a day budget.
Unless you are living in Spain and have your own kitchen and making things from scratch, Japan is a cheaper country to visit. It’s a heck of a lot cheaper than London, that’s for sure.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Since '70s and '80s I have been telling people Japan is expensive if you want to vacation like you vacation back home. Western style hotels and Western meals (including eggs and coffee for breakfast). If you live like local Japanese during your stay at Japan then will not be that expensive as you think. However, lodging will bot be to your standard. Even in upper scale Japanese Ryokans futon mattress for sleeping will be much thinner than you are used to in back home, pillows will be far smaller (less than half the size) and very firm like sleeping on a wood pillow. Meals will be nothing like Sushi, tempura, and teriyaki you see at back home. But if you live like locals in Japan then it will be surprisingly not too expensive.

Typical Japanese tourists visiting Kyoto do not stay at Westin nor Sheraton.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:56 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

No it’s not.

What comparisons are you making? Because I don’t know many places in the world where I can feel safe and secure as a female and yet stay, eat well and even travel around on a less than US$50/¥5k a day budget.
Unless you are living in Spain and have your own kitchen and making things from scratch, Japan is a cheaper country to visit. It’s a heck of a lot cheaper than London, that’s for sure.
$50 a day? Where are you staying in Kyoto late March that is under $50?

I agree London is astronomical. But Tokyo can be expensive while San Fran and London are astronomical.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 5:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Since '70s and '80s I have been telling people Japan is expensive if you want to vacation like you vacation back home. Western style hotels and Western meals (including eggs and coffee for breakfast). If you live like local Japanese during your stay at Japan then will not be that expensive as you think. However, lodging will bot be to your standard. Even in upper scale Japanese Ryokans futon mattress for sleeping will be much thinner than you are used to in back home, pillows will be far smaller (less than half the size) and very firm like sleeping on a wood pillow. Meals will be nothing like Sushi, tempura, and teriyaki you see at back home. But if you live like locals in Japan then it will be surprisingly not too expensive.

Typical Japanese tourists visiting Kyoto do not stay at Westin nor Sheraton.
Even the ramen that I had on my last trip was normally $15 to $20. Add in a couple Sapporo beers and I'm getting closer to $25. And ramen is one of the more inexpensive meals you can find.

JR rail pass is very expensive and it's pretty much a bargain for someone who is going to make a lot of day trips.

The ryokans that I have looked up are very expensive, even more expensive than the western hotels.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Even in upper scale Japanese Ryokans futon mattress for sleeping will be much thinner than you are used to in back home.
Not if you’re used to sleeping in French and Italian hotel beds.
Tatami floors are more yielding than “conventional” floors, they have a spring in them, so those admittedly thin futons don’t feel much different to a firm bed in a traditional non chain hotel in much of Continental Europe. Also, in any but the most lowly Ryokan, you can just request to use an extra futon layer (hint - there’s often a spare or two stored away in the oshiire/cupboard). Can’t do that at a Novotel.

AlwaysAisle, I’m genuinely puzzled, do you not come to Europe very much?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even the ramen that I had on my last trip was normally $15 to $20. Add in a couple Sapporo beers and I'm getting closer to $25. And ramen is one of the more inexpensive meals you can find.

JR rail pass is very expensive and it's pretty much a bargain for someone who is going to make a lot of day trips.

The ryokans that I have looked up are very expensive, even more expensive than the western hotels.
When circumstances change for you and getting better value for money becomes important, come back and myself and others will be happy to advise you.
At the moment, it’s obviously not a priority.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 5:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

When circumstances change for you and getting better value for money becomes important, come back and myself and others will be happy to advise you.
At the moment, it’s obviously not a priority.
I'm always happy to save money when and where it makes sense.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm always happy to save money when and where it makes sense.
You’ve been paying the same for ramen as I have been for multi course lunches at high end (some Michelin starred) restaurants.

Or for a similar price I have taken a one day Misaki Maguro Pass - travel to and from the beautiful Miura peninsula and Jogashima, a delicious fresh tuna sushi or sashimi lunch, local bus rides and an underwater trip.
https://wow-j.com/en/Allguides/kanag...eing/01023_en/

I’ve bought a full Japan Rail Pass just once in my life. Plenty of other cheaper options to travel within Japan. Even so, it compares very well with the interrail train passes for individual countries as well as those that traverse Europe.

I don’t stay in Ryokan within cities as they demand a huge premium. I have had beautiful and unforgettable experiences in less densely populated areas. My budget has been between 7,000 and 11,000yen per person including meals.

I was put off travelling to Japan for many years due to how expensive I’d been hearing it was. First went there in 2002. Have been going back nearly every year since because it isn’t. I tend to hold off taking my kid to places like aquariums, zoos, theme parks, boat excursions and decent restaurants until we’re in Japan because these things are so much cheaper to do there than in Europe.
kapooncha likes this.

Last edited by LapLap; Jan 5, 2019 at 6:00 pm
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I have never paid more than 1,000 jpy for a bowl of ramen. More often it is 700-900.

The trick to avoiding higher costs is to avoid tourist hotels and restaurants. I stay in business hotels and eat at little mom-and-pop diners in the side alleys. The food is often very good and a lot cheaper.
LapLap, angra and IndyHoosier like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.