Wiki Posts
Search

Quick Japan trip

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
Quick Japan trip

Hi, We are thinking about a quick trip to Japan in January to visit Kyoto and maybe Osaka. I realize some of these topics may have been covered in other threads. I've only had layovers at NRT and HND (visited Narita town for a few hours) and my wife has been in Tokyo for work. Part of my rationale is to make United MM on this trip and the rest of my ear is already filled up with other obligations.

Current flight options are:

Flight Option 1 is arrive NRT around 1600 on a Wednesday and depart NRT Monday at 1855 (4 nights total)
Flight Option 2 is arrive KIX around 1600 on a Wednesday and depart NRT Monday at 1855 (4 nights total)

Any thoughts on:

- spending a night in Osaka?
- spending a night in Tokyo on arrival then head to Kyoto?
- how many days are good in Kyoto?

Thanks!
Old Dec 12, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: Delta
I'd recommend option 2. Spend the whole time in Kyoto and take the 30-minute train ride to Osaka at least once, such as to visit Nanba/Dotonbori area. Plenty of other things to see and do in Kansai area. You can get to Narita from Kyoto by train in about 4 hours or so on day of departure.

This website has lot's of good information.
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2158.html
ksandness likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
+1 on the above.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by ordogg
Any thoughts on:

- spending a night in Osaka?
- spending a night in Tokyo on arrival then head to Kyoto?
- how many days are good in Kyoto?
Like the others say, fly in through KIX and stay in Kyoto until Monday morning. You could also stay in Osaka's Namba/Dotonburi area for the better nightlife and affordable hotel options. but Kyoto's the better bet for a first-time visit.

If you plan to move between cities everyday, get one of the JR Kansai Area Passes, which allow up to five days' use of the airport train Haruka and most other regional trains.These plus taxis will get you from KIX to around Kyoto with no hassle, as well as to JR Osaka Station via Tennoji or Shin-Osaka (which are major station hubs in their own right). The fancier Wide Area Pass will let you ride a mix of the nicer limited express and Shinkansen trains from Kyoto to Himeji and Kobe and beyond, which are worth a day's trip on their own.

If you will be spending your days mostly between Kyoto and Nara, the JR regional passes won't be as necessary..Save your next trip for doing Tokyo properly, if you can. Otherwise, Sunday night in a hotel around Tokyo station would be fine.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:17 pm
tt7

Fly in to KIX. Consider spending Wednesday night in Osaka so you can visit Dotonbori (restaurants/nightlife). Go to Kyoto on Thursday and stay there until Monday lunchtime, then take the Shinkansen/NEX to Narita.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:30 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
If you do the above, keep in mind that eating a bento lunch on the shinkansen is a quintessential Japan experience. For the best choice, pick up a lunch box at one of the kiosks inside Kyoto Station and carry it on board. If it is lunchtime, most of the other passengers will be eating at their seats as well. I usually pick up a bottled green tea to go with it but a beer also goes well with an eki-ben.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:38 am

With about 5 days(?), I would just stick with either Tokyo or the Kyoto/Osaka area and do day trips.

There are plenty to see and do in either of those areas in one week.
ksandness likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: UA, NW
I love Tokyo, but staying in the Kansai area will give you a taste of both urban Japan (Osaka) and more traditional Japan (Kyoto and Nara) in a small area. There is more than enough to see in four or five days.

Kyoto is a good central location for a trip of this nature, with JR and private rail lines headed out in all directions. Distances are short, so you don't need to change hotels.

Then, on your next trip, fly into Tokyo and visit traditional Japan in the form of Kamakura and Nikko.
LapLap, evergrn and jib71 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.