Wiki Posts
Search

Transit FUK airport - nearby things to do

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold; IHG Platinum; Insomnia Cookies
Question Transit FUK airport - nearby things to do

Awesome Flyertalkers, my wife and I will be transiting Fukuoka airport on a Saturday afternoon in January. We'll arrive from Seoul on Korean Air around 12:30pm, and have separate tickets departing on Delta to Honolulu around 7:30pm. That seems like enough time to visit one or two places in the city. We're looking for a few ideas. Neither of us speak Japanese - just English and Korean.

1) There appear to be storage lockers in the international terminal. Are they frequently full, or easy to use?

2) For sushi or seafood (yes, I've read about ramen, but we prefer sushi or sashimi), are there any recommendations open for late lunch about 2pm?

3) What are the best indoor activities? Many temples appear lovely, but January can be uncomfortably cold. There's always Canal City or the JR Hakata mall, but there are malls everywhere. A nice art museum would be great.

Thanks!
Old Dec 17, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by ramolnar
A nice art museum would be great.
Fukuoka Asian Art Museum
Old Dec 17, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Take bus (260yen one way) or taxi (under 2000) to Hakata Station . Station complex has over 100 restaurants and you can have whatever you want. The ones on the top floors are of better quality, and priced accordingly but still very reasonable.

Outside the Chikushi Gate exit next to Starbucks there is one upscale sushi place in the basement. I doubt that they are open at 2 pm though.
Underneath Mos Burger is a small sushi place called Kaji - used to be family run but not sure now as they started accepting credit cards and introduced multi-lingual manuals but food still ok. 1F HAKATA DEITOS Restaurant & Cafe | JR HAKATA CITY / AMU PLAZA HAKATA official site
One sushi place on the south side inside the station was cheap and terrible.
Those on the north side in the basement equally inexpensive but better quality. B1F HAKATA Rrestaurant | JR HAKATA CITY / AMU PLAZA HAKATA official site
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold; IHG Platinum; Insomnia Cookies
Thank you for the suggestions!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.