Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated “Reiwa” discussion (was: May 1, 2019 will be a holiday, Coronation Day)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated “Reiwa” discussion (was: May 1, 2019 will be a holiday, Coronation Day)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Another thought - People in countries where trust in the local currency is low often hold cash in US dollars, Euros, etc. as a hedge against inflation or financial collapse. My guess is that the Japanese Yen is probably used in this way in some parts of Asia today. I guess that this phenomenon probably has a deflationary effect in the country that issues the currency, since it takes some money out of circulation there. But cash is only a fraction of money supply - even in supposedly cash-oriented Japan.
LapLap likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by evergrn
Debido Arudo

I'm sure that would go over well over at the 宮内庁.
evergrn likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Japanese TV channels are in overdrive churning out mega end of era round ups and summaries. It’s like end of year TV, but a year that lasted nearly 30.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
10 days holiday is will start tomorrow (Saturday, it is Friday morning here at Japan) in Japan. Yes, media will make a big deal. TV stations will have 2 - 3 hours long special programs next week.

As for low life commoners like me... Seems like many don't care that much about the coronation of emperor, and seems to be honest feeling is that most do not have money to be on a vacation for 10 days long, what to do during 10 days holiday? Many business were saying they cannot close their office for 10 days long. Other business which will open during this "Once in a Life Time Mega Golden Week" such as restaurants, hotels, people maintaining ATMs, etc employers have to pay holiday overtime. Some are honestly saying that "Am I going to be stuck with my family for 10 consecutive days from morning to night!?"

Travel agencies are saying that hotel occupancies through out Japan is showing strong booking during first half of this 10 days holyday, second half is showing hotel booking not that strong as fist half. Indicating many are planning few days vacation trip but many are not planning to be away for entire 10 days during this Mega Golden Weeks.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Happy Reiwa「令和」!
Old Apr 30, 2019, 3:24 pm

Happy New Era!
Old Apr 30, 2019, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Happy Reiwa also!

Regards

TBS
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:48 pm

Old May 1, 2019, 3:10 pm
mhy

Programs: JGC
End of an era indeed. I was born a few weeks after the death of Emperor Hirohito so I barely didn't straddle the Showa era. I will be in Japan in a few weeks so it will be interesting to feel the atmosphere.
Old May 1, 2019, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by muji
His head looks Photoshopped.
mhy likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by evergrn
His head looks Photoshopped.
Perhaps because of osteoporosis in his spine and neck. Loss of bone density was raised as a concern some years ago, following his treatment for prostate cancer.
https://www.reuters.com/article/idIN...36838820081203
Old May 2, 2019, 5:40 pm

Programs: NH Dia/SFlyer, JL Crystal/JGC, MB Plat, WoHyatt Glob, IHG Dia Amb, HHonors Dia
Originally Posted by mhy
(...) I will be in Japan in a few weeks so it will be interesting to feel the atmosphere.
Same as always.
Old May 2, 2019, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by jib71
Perhaps because of osteoporosis in his spine and neck. Loss of bone density was raised as a concern some years ago, following his treatment for prostate cancer.
https://www.reuters.com/article/idIN...36838820081203
I see, that might explain it.
Old May 3, 2019, 1:33 am

Japan’s new era is called "Reiwa" and it started two days ago.

Emperor Akihito handed the throne to his son due to his old age which marked the end of the Heisei era. He was the first Japanese emperor to abdicate in over two centuries. Normally successions only take place after the death of an emperor.

The new era's name is a combination of the two characters Rei and Wa. Rei means "commands", "order", "auspicious" and "good". Wa means "harmony" and "peace". The start of the Reiwa era marks a huge moment for Japan both historically and symbolically. There have only been four eras in Japan’s modern history (since the Meiji restoration in 1868).

Last edited by armagebedar; May 3, 2019 at 8:22 am Reason: removed self-link
Old May 3, 2019, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
10 days holiday is will start tomorrow (Saturday, it is Friday morning here at Japan) in Japan. Yes, media will make a big deal. TV stations will have 2 - 3 hours long special programs next week.

As for low life commoners like me... Seems like many don't care that much about the coronation of emperor, and seems to be honest feeling is that most do not have money to be on a vacation for 10 days long, what to do during 10 days holiday? Many business were saying they cannot close their office for 10 days long. Other business which will open during this "Once in a Life Time Mega Golden Week" such as restaurants, hotels, people maintaining ATMs, etc employers have to pay holiday overtime. Some are honestly saying that "Am I going to be stuck with my family for 10 consecutive days from morning to night!?"
If you can't find a way enjoy a ten day holiday, or the extra overtime pay that goes along with working during a ten day holiday, then I don't think that you are trying very hard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.