Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated “Reiwa” discussion (was: May 1, 2019 will be a holiday, Coronation Day)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated “Reiwa” discussion (was: May 1, 2019 will be a holiday, Coronation Day)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus

The current Emperor of Japan will step aside from his throne next year and the current Prince will become the Emperor next year. Japanese Government Cabinet Office has announced that next year, 2019, May 1 will be a national holiday to celebrate the coronation of the prince.

Next year’s Golden Week is Monday, April 29 is Showa Day. Friday, May 3 is Constitution Day. Saturday, May 4 is Green Day. Sunday May 5 is Children’s Day, where Monday, May 6 will be a holiday due to Children’s Day being on Sunday.

Now Wednesday, May 1 will be a holiday for coronation of the prince (2019 only). Japanese government will encourage employers to make Tuesday, April 30 and Thursday May 2 to be day off also.

So what is the big deal? Calendar publishers! They have already started to print 2019 calendars, then now the government is telling them “By the way, May 1 will be a holiday, also.” What are they supposed to do with already printed calendars? If you already bought 2019 calendar in Japan then...

P.S. Heisei will end on April 30, 2019.
Taiwaned likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Surely that is way less of a headache for calendar makers than not knowing what the new post Heisei era will even be called.
ksandness, angra, muji and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 7:32 pm

I can never remember the different periods and when they start/end (so much mental calculations). Now another one to remember :P
Old Oct 13, 2018, 3:22 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by LCUF
I can never remember the different periods and when they start/end (so much mental calculations). Now another one to remember :P
It's tricky at first, but if you keep the traditional zodiac in mind, it gives you a nice visual image to jog your memory:
Taisho era started in a Water Rat year (1912); Showa in the year of the Fire Tiger (1926); Heisei in the year of the Earth Snake (1989);
We already know that the new era will start in the year of the Earth Boar, so once the name is announced we can tack it onto this handy mnemonic.

Admittedly, my system's usefulness is limited to the more recent era names - Meiji started in an Earth Dragon year (1868), but in addition to the animal and the element, you also need to recall that it was around the middle of the 19th century to avoid going for the wrong Earth Dragon.
LapLap and LCUF like this.

Last edited by jib71; Oct 13, 2018 at 3:30 am
Old Oct 13, 2018, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Uuuff, that’s even more to remember.

Taisho to me coincides broadly with the flapper era. The fashions from the West and Japan heavily influenced each other during this time.

I came of age (18) when the Heisei period began. Mr LapLap was 10.

My daughter will be 10 next year, another easy year to remember.

Everything in between is Showa, and although this era began with WWII, the dominant personality that floats up through the lake of nostalgia is the “economical miracle” 1950s.

Feels very strange that our next trip will be our last visit to Heisei Japan. I have a lot of admiration for Empress Michiko and will really miss her. The first time I went to Japan a man with a notable entourage came and stood a few feet away from me. I asked the person next to me who he was and showed myself up as a complete idiot. I have no doubt I will never get that close again to the new Emperor.
RichardInSF likes this.

Last edited by LapLap; Oct 13, 2018 at 9:58 am Reason: Erase error.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by LapLap
Surely that is way less of a headache for calendar makers than not knowing what the new post Heisei era will even be called.
Yes, I remember seeing the last era change on TV. The reporters were gathered, and someone (I forget who), unveiled a sign that said 平成 (Heisei), which could just as well been pronounced Hyosho or Hiranari... In fact, I recall that there was a bit of discussion about how it would be pronounced.
LapLap likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ksandness
Yes, I remember seeing the last era change on TV. The reporters were gathered, and someone (I forget who), unveiled a sign that said 平成 (Heisei), which could just as well been pronounced Hyosho or Hiranari... In fact, I recall that there was a bit of discussion about how it would be pronounced.
That was the future PM Obuchi! Doomed to be forever known as Heisei ojisan...
LapLap and muji like this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 6:16 pm

Programs: ANA SFC (*G)
10 day golden week... of course plane tickets are triple the normal price...so I am staying in Tokyo...
Old Oct 29, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: A3*G, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
The current Emperor of Japan will step aside from his throne next year and the current Prince will become the Emperor next year. Japanese
Now Wednesday, May 1 will be a holiday for coronation of the prince (2019 only). Japanese government will encourage employers to make Tuesday, April 30 and Thursday May 2 to be day off also.
Not just encourage, these extra days become official holidays per the law (a day between two holidays becomes a bonus holiday).
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by hamburgler
Not just encourage, these extra days become official holidays per the law (a day between two holidays becomes a bonus holiday).
At this moment technically faith of Tuesday April 30, 2019 and Thursday May 2, 2019 are not decided yet.

Yes, Japan has a law that if there is one day between two holidays (regular weekends, non-holiday Saturday and Sunday do not count) then a day between two holidays will also become official a day off. This is called “the Holiday Law” (祝日法) in Japan.

The case of Wednesday May 1, 2019 is one time exception and May 1 will not become permanent holiday in Japan. The Cabinet Office has submitted the proposal for May 1, 2019, and has to pass Japanese parliament for the approval, where Autumn session of the parliament has just started on Oct. 26 and will be decided during this Autumn session which can last anywhere form 40 – 50 days.

It is pretty much accepted that the parliament will pass the proposal because it is a coronation of the prince. However, the key part will be if the parliament will decide Wednesday May 1, 2019 as one time exception of legal holiday or one time exception of day off. If the parliament declare May 1, 2019 as once time exception of legal holiday, then “the Holiday Law” will apply and Tuesday April 30, 2019 and Thursday May 2, 2019 will also become day off. If the parliament declare May 1, 2019 as one time exception of a day off (not legal holiday) for Japanese citizens due to the coronation of the prince, then Tuesday April 30, 2019 and Thursday May 2, 2019 will not become day off.

Stay tuned.

P.S.
Examples from four previous palace related events, Japanese parliament has declared as a day off for Japanese citizens (not a legal holiday) in those cases. Precedents indicate as such, if this will be any reference to the faith of Tuesday April 30, 2019 and Thursday May 2, 2019.
muji likes this.

Last edited by AlwaysAisle; Oct 30, 2018 at 9:04 am
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Calcifer
the future PM Obuchi...known as Heisei ojisan...
kaka likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Now only six months left till end of Heisei. Heisei started on Jan. 8, 1989 during the middle of Bubble Era of Japanese economy. Juliana’s Tokyo was one of memorable early Heisei thing. How Heisei is going to end? Least businesses are getting on a bandwagon and one of common theme of next six months will be “Good Bye Heisei.”

Usually the era ends by death of the emperor, something really cannot predict and something should not be joyfully celebrated publicly. However, for end of Heisei the emperor is stepping aside so we know exactly when will happen and can actually celebrate openly because the emperor is not dying. Businesses will take full advantage to cash in during next six months.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:39 pm

Programs: ANA SFC (*G)
Every single day TV is going to be "the last XX of the heisei era".

Last edited by armagebedar; Nov 1, 2018 at 2:00 am Reason: Removed part of comment with profanity
Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:58 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by sodaisei
Every single day TV is going to be "the last XX of the heisei era".
Looking on the bright side, it's nice to be able to end an era without having to mourn a death. At the time when the last emperor was dying, people told me that it put a real damper on the mood in Japan - Even when there was something to celebrate, many people didn't want to be seen to be celebrating, and some people made an ostentatious display of their sober mood.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 8:29 pm

Programs: Delta Gold 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium
It's official - Japan will have a 10-day weekend from April 27 to May 6, 2019.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...l-clears-diet/
LCUF likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.