Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel for family of 4 Tokyo 3 nights

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2018, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Hotel for family of 4 Tokyo 3 nights

I read through some of the threads and it sounds like some of the Starwood properties no longer follow the family plan. I would really appreciate some suggestions of areas to stay with good access and on the high end hotels (western ) where we could stay all 4 in one room. Two rooms would be really expensive... thank you
Old Oct 4, 2018, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by laurava
I read through some of the threads and it sounds like some of the Starwood properties no longer follow the family plan. I would really appreciate some suggestions of areas to stay with good access and on the high end hotels (western ) where we could stay all 4 in one room. Two rooms would be really expensive... thank you
How old are your kids, and do you have elite status with any chains?

There's plenty of Japanese hotels with room types that can accommodate 2+2. But you insist on high-end Western chains.
My kids are 9 and 8. Over the last 4-5 years, we've stayed in many high-end Western places (Hyatt Regency, Hilton Shinjuku, IC Tokyo Bay, Conrad, etc). I generally will book it as 2 adults and 1 child, and then I contact the hotel to ask if it's okay that there's actually 1 more child. It's not been a problem at any of the aforementioned hotels, although I think I've only stayed at IC Tokyo Bay and Conrad since my younger one started elementary school. That's because those are the only chains I have any status of significance at. Depending on the hotel, Japanese hotels have different policies regarding kids being allowed to stay free and share bedding. The age cutoff for that in Tokyo hotels is generally going to be either 6 (or 1st grade) or 12 (or junior high). Rarely you'll find hotels like Conrad Tokyo and Vessel Campana that actually will define free kids as up through 17.

We're pretty slim and our kids are still relatively small, so we can share 120cm wide beds. Twin beds in most upscale Tokyo hotels we stay in are 120cm wide. If you think that may be difficult, well the alternative would be: a).king bed + rollaway for a free; b).ask hotel to stick the twin beds together ("Hollywood twin") as 4 sharing a 240cm bed is far easier than 2 sharing 120cm bed. However, many hotels cannot accommodate (b). I know IC Tokyo Bay can.
FlitBen, LapLap and WAStraveller like this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Sheraton Miyako isn’t what I call high end, but It’s decent enough.
My understanding is that they have rooms with two single beds and one double sofa bed.

Just did a dummy booking for 4 and it said kids under 17* are allowed to share the room. No specifics about what kind of bedding they’d get but the SPG website does allow a room for two adults and two children.

* so that’s another one for your list evergrn.
WAStraveller and evergrn like this.

Last edited by LapLap; Oct 5, 2018 at 6:24 am
Old Oct 5, 2018, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by evergrn
How old are your kids, and do you have elite status with any chains?

There's plenty of Japanese hotels with room types that can accommodate 2+2. But you insist on high-end Western chains.
My kids are 9 and 8. Over the last 4-5 years, we've stayed in many high-end Western places (Hyatt Regency, Hilton Shinjuku, IC Tokyo Bay, Conrad, etc). I generally will book it as 2 adults and 1 child, and then I contact the hotel to ask if it's okay that there's actually 1 more child. It's not been a problem at any of the aforementioned hotels, although I think I've only stayed at IC Tokyo Bay and Conrad since my younger one started elementary school. That's because those are the only chains I have any status of significance at. Depending on the hotel, Japanese hotels have different policies regarding kids being allowed to stay free and share bedding. The age cutoff for that in Tokyo hotels is generally going to be either 6 (or 1st grade) or 12 (or junior high). Rarely you'll find hotels like Conrad Tokyo and Vessel Campana that actually will define free kids as up through 17.

We're pretty slim and our kids are still relatively small, so we can share 120cm wide beds. Twin beds in most upscale Tokyo hotels we stay in are 120cm wide. If you think that may be difficult, well the alternative would be: a).king bed + rollaway for a free; b).ask hotel to stick the twin beds together ("Hollywood twin") as 4 sharing a 240cm bed is far easier than 2 sharing 120cm bed. However, many hotels cannot accommodate (b). I know IC Tokyo Bay can.
Our kids are 10 and 12 - we are all slim and my 12 year old looks younger than my 10 (short). I am Marriott/SPG Gold Elite - Hilton Silver (which is basically nothing). For the Japanese ones- which ones could accommodate us? Are they in good locations? Thank you.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LapLap
The Sheraton Miyako isn’t what I call high end, but It’s decent enough.
My understanding is that they have rooms with two single beds and one double sofa bed.

Just did a dummy booking for 4 and it said kids under 17* are allowed to share the room. No specifics about what kind of bedding they’d get but the SPG website does allow a room for two adults and two children.

* so that’s another one for your list evergrn.
Is the Sheraton Mikayo in a good location / easy access to get around? I am digging in to Tokyo now (as well as Vietnam since we are just staying here 3 nights before staying in Vietnam for two weeks). Thank you!
Old Oct 5, 2018, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is the Sheraton Mikayo in a good location / easy access to get around? I am digging in to Tokyo now (as well as Vietnam since we are just staying here 3 nights before staying in Vietnam for two weeks). Thank you!
It’s 10 minutes walk to Shirokane Takanawa Station on the Mita lines and the Namboku lines.
Alternatively, every 15 minutes there is a complimentary shuttle service to Meguro Station on the JR Yamamoto line - arguably the most useful rail line in Tokyo. Shuttle takes about 7 minutes.

The location works well for some visitors (myself included) but it isn’t the best location for many others. But there is a lot to be said for a shuttle service from the door of a major station to the hotel itself when you have two kids with you.

You also have the 87 Toei bus which can take you directly to Ebisu and Shibuya or Tamachi Station (Yamanote) in the East. The 87 bus goes from East to West close to Shirokane Takanawa Station.
Please click on 87 here to see the route. https://tobus.jp/sp/blsys/route?trn=...op&ln=en#modal

As a location I prefer it to the Tokyo IC (evergrn mentioned above). I also found it more convenient than the ANA IC Roppongi. But this is my perception. YMMV.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:32 pm

Our kids are 10 and 12 - we are all slim and my 12 year old looks younger than my 10 (short). I am Marriott/SPG Gold Elite - Hilton Silver (which is basically nothing). For the Japanese ones- which ones could accommodate us? Are they in good locations? Thank you.
For sure Conrad can accommodate, but you will probably be uncomfortable to have 4 of you sharing 2 twin beds which cannot be stuck together there. There’s a number of ways to go about this, though, and I will direct you to the Conrad Tokyo thread where I’ve discussed this issue at length.

IC Tokyo bay should work for you as per my prior suggestion, but it may help to spend $50 to attain Plat status via credit card if you’re US based.

Otherwise, since you have status with SPG, I’d try booking a room with 2 adults/ 1 kid then contact the hotel to see what they can do.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:43 pm

Location wise, I’m actually not a huge fan of Miyako, IC Tokyo bay, Miyako or Conrad. If you’re SPG, check and see if Sakura Towers in shinagawa could work out for you. Shinagawa is not very interesting but very convenient transportwise.
LapLap likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by evergrn
If you’re SPG, check and see if Sakura Towers in shinagawa could work out for you. Shinagawa is not very interesting but very convenient transportwise.
I second this. I find the location of the Marriott Autograph Sakura Tower extremely convenient. Easy and quick to get almost everywhere from Shinagawa Station. And it’s just a 7 minute walk from the hotel.
I also like the gardens as the Sakura Tower grounds are right next to the delightful grounds of the Grand Prince Takanawa and the New Grand Prince Takanawa hotels (which happen to be two of my favourite value for money hotel choices in Tokyo)
Old Oct 5, 2018, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by LapLap
I second this. I find the location of the Marriott Autograph Sakura Tower extremely convenient. Easy and quick to get almost everywhere from Shinagawa Station. And it’s just a 7 minute walk from the hotel.
I also like the gardens as the Sakura Tower grounds are right next to the delightful grounds of the Grand Prince Takanawa and the New Grand Prince Takanawa hotels (which happen to be two of my favourite value for money hotel choices in Tokyo)
totally!
i love that complex/garden, esp Sakura towers.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 5:15 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
For what it's worth, we're a family of 4 staying in Tokyo over Thanksgiving week. I had a hard time finding a room I thought would be big enough without breaking the bank, so we decided to forego status, FHR benefits, points etc. and booked an apartment type of hotel:

https://mimaruhotels.com/en-us/suitengumae/

Site unseen, it looks clean and the reviews on TripAdvisor look good (#1 in Chuo). We'll see...
LapLap and WAStraveller like this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by work2fly
For what it's worth, we're a family of 4 staying in Tokyo over Thanksgiving week. I had a hard time finding a room I thought would be big enough without breaking the bank, so we decided to forego status, FHR benefits, points etc. and booked an apartment type of hotel:

https://mimaruhotels.com/en-us/suitengumae/

Site unseen, it looks clean and the reviews on TripAdvisor look good (#1 in Chuo). We'll see...
Hadn’t come across this apartment hotel chain. They are brand new.

The suitengumae example looks very nice. I do hope you can make the location work for you.

Looking at the other examples, the one in Ueno North does offer a more convenient location and also has rooms for 4 (and 6)
https://mimaruhotels.com/en-us/ueno-north/?scrl=access
https://mimaruhotels.com/en-us/ueno-north/rooms/
WAStraveller and freecia like this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Decided to use points (Marriott/SPG) - posting at that forum. Thank you!
kaka likes this.

Last edited by WAStraveller; Oct 7, 2018 at 9:10 am Reason: didn't want to cross-post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.