Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Worth staying in Osaka for 2 nights?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2018, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Worth staying in Osaka for 2 nights?

As part of my 2 week itinerary, I was going to stay in Kyoto for 3 nights and then go to Osaka for 2 nights.

However I am thinking about changing to staying in Kyoto for 5 nights, and then just do 2 day trips to Osaka. Is this a good idea or no? I will have JR Pass.
Old May 27, 2018, 3:53 am

Programs: Delta
Positive and minus points to both ideas. Changing hotels takes time. On the other hand, Osaka is more lively at night, so nice to end the day in a lively part of town for dinner and not have to commute back to Kyoto. The train is only about 30 minutes between Kyoto and Osaka. But add in the time required to get to JR Osaka station from wherever you are and then to get to your hotel from JR Kyoto station and you've got about an hour commute.
Old May 28, 2018, 12:52 pm

There is a lot to do in Osaka, although some of it might not fall under the "Highlights of Japan" category. Having lived in Osaka for a year, there were always fun things to do, such as Namba, Denkitown, Umeda Sky Building etc. Personally I'd find five nights a bit much in Kyoto unless you really want to drill down on temple hopping. I'd highly recommend making time to go to Nara as a day trip. That can be pretty much as easily accomplished by train from Kyoto as from Osaka, so maybe you could do two nights in Osaka but spend one of those days going to Nara? I might decide in part based on the hotel rates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.