Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Visiting Japan with a criminal record (was: Visited Japan with Expunged Drug Charge)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Visiting Japan with a criminal record (was: Visited Japan with Expunged Drug Charge)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2017, 8:32 pm

OP: Talking to the right attorney is the best step. If you don't want to spend that money, then consult again with the consulate specifically about your remote marijuana conviction while trying to be anonymous. I do feel for you. A somewhat backward rule is preventing you from your desired vacation. But the worst thing you can do is take a chance and lie to the officials in Japan.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 9:48 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by evergrn
OP: Talking to the right attorney is the best step. If you don't want to spend that money, then consult again with the consulate specifically about your remote marijuana conviction while trying to be anonymous. I do feel for you. A somewhat backward rule is preventing you from your desired vacation. But the worst thing you can do is take a chance and lie to the officials in Japan.
people self insure all the time.

you could ask and be told we are not sure and then be out legal costs.

do you think a Japanese lawyer will give you a clean opinion on a no names call to a Japanese regulatory authority or consulate?

i got to suspect the conservative answer will come back if you disclose, you will be denied.

or prepare and plan for not being able to enter.

book hotels that you can cancel etc and be possibly prepared to be deported.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by bigcurl254
That is very much true in the United States. However, you are unable to remove your arrest from the FBI database so if a potential employer looks it up, it won't be on there but if the government does it still remains.
Where did you get this information regarding being unable to remove info from the FBI database? Which FBI database are you referring to specifically? I disagree with your statement. Look up Maryland's expungement handbook. When a record is expunged in Maryland, there is a waiting period of 90 plus days for a record to be removed from Maryland's database. Once complete, the record is then removed from the FBI database within about 90 days... After 3 years all paper copies of the case are then "shredded" Maybe you are referring to some other secret database? And I'm sure they exist, but I doubt they would let the public know by allowing other countries access to it for other countries to tell you it exists while trying to travel. Thats not to say other countries don't pull data from the FBI database periodically and back up their own copies for later use even if expunged
Old Sep 29, 2020, 8:53 pm

Hello, I'm going to chime in here as I'm not seeing a lot of accurate information online. I am considering going back to Japan sometime in the future.
I visited, about 10 years ago, and I have multiple felonies and misdemeanors. I had a felony burglary charge (sealed over 25 years ago), a DWI misd
and a felony possession of controlled substance sealed several years prior to flying to Japan. Now, this was before the sharing of the FBI fingerprint database,
however, when I received that pre-landing paper checklist... I marked "No" on the charges. Legally, I can do so in the US because that's what the law says.
My records have been sealed. I have purchased multiple firearms with zero issues via FBI background check. So my understanding is this. If you have a sealed
record or a motion for non-disclosure filed.. that's exactly that. I was allowed entry into Japan no problem. Unless things have changed, I anticipate going
back and checking the same boxes in the future. That's why I had the records sealed.

Last edited by Egreen; Sep 29, 2020 at 8:54 pm Reason: typos
Old Sep 30, 2020, 6:09 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Egreen
Hello, I'm going to chime in here as I'm not seeing a lot of accurate information online. I am considering going back to Japan sometime in the future.
I visited, about 10 years ago, and I have multiple felonies and misdemeanors. I had a felony burglary charge (sealed over 25 years ago), a DWI misd
and a felony possession of controlled substance sealed several years prior to flying to Japan. Now, this was before the sharing of the FBI fingerprint database,
however, when I received that pre-landing paper checklist... I marked "No" on the charges. Legally, I can do so in the US because that's what the law says.
My records have been sealed. I have purchased multiple firearms with zero issues via FBI background check. So my understanding is this. If you have a sealed
record or a motion for non-disclosure filed.. that's exactly that. I was allowed entry into Japan no problem. Unless things have changed, I anticipate going
back and checking the same boxes in the future. That's why I had the records sealed.
Thanks for sharing, that’s pretty interesting. Was it difficult to get them to seal the records? If not, why wouldn’t everyone do it immediately after being convicted of a crime? Does it have to do with the time since the conviction?
Old Sep 30, 2020, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by ainternational
Thanks for sharing, that’s pretty interesting. Was it difficult to get them to seal the records? If not, why wouldn’t everyone do it immediately after being convicted of a crime? Does it have to do with the time since the conviction?
I think it varies by state. In Massachusetts for misdemeanor request for sealing record can be made after 3 years, for felony 7 years. What percentage of petition for request to seal the record is granted and what percentage is denied, I do not know.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 3:50 pm

Sure thing. It varies by state. It was so long ago on the first one but I think it was a few years after finishing a deferred sentence in California. Plus, it was my juvenile record thus somewhat easier and no lawyer needed. The second time was in Texas and I had to wait 5 years after finishing the deferred adjudication. I had to hire a lawyer and I think it costs around $1k.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 12:20 am

Programs: Student
Here's a question I have on this matter. I have a Misdemeanor on my record, but not for drugs or anything like that. I got caught taking my friend to the ER. I did not know it, because I had recently moved, but my license was suspended, so the cop hit me with a misdemeanor for it. I went to court, paid the fines, and that was that. I was out the door, license restored and have been good ever since. That was in 2009. I want to get it expunged, frankly I didn't even know it was on my record until I recently checked out of curiosity. Like i said, no drugs or going to jail, hell the judge just looked at me, asked me if I wanted an attorney, I said yes... got one, and he handled everything. I never had to step into a court room after that. 600.00 later, I was back on the straight and narrow driving.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.