Attracting More Tourists

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Attracting More Tourists

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2016, 10:57 pm

Programs: Delta
Rural Japan is dying quickly. If tourists could find their way to rural sites more easily, maybe it would help. In the States, it seems that Bed & Breakfast places have provided a reason for people to visit small scenic towns. However, I think that it's very difficult for a tourist in Japan to figure out how to get to a small town, as well as find a place to stay there and something to see/do. Rural Japan is not an unfriendly place, but difficult to access for a visiting foreigner I think.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 11:22 pm

Honestly, asking Softbank to promote this a little better would help: http://shop.sprint.com/global/pdf/sh...ing_add_on.pdf

Sprint is wholly owned by Softbank, I am a Sprint customer and I travel to Japan quite a bit and I only knew about this after Googling right now before posting this.

Cell phone service and roaming issues are such a hassle and expense when going to Japan, I think it would actually help a lot if people thought it was easier and cheaper. I had high hopes when Softbank bought Sprint, but you'd think they'd actually tell people who they *know* have roamed in Japan that they now have a $5 voice/text/data add-on.

It's also probably too much to ask for every company to do this, but honestly, I feel like they've got to do something so people don't need to rent either a pocket wifi or a sim card as soon as they land in the country.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 1:31 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by angra
trash cans
I laughed out loud reading this!

I went to Tokyo for the first time earlier this month, and I was a bit confused by the lack of trash cans!!! I investigated it more online and came to understand that they are not everywhere.

Nonetheless, this was so funny.

ERQ
Old Jul 22, 2016, 8:30 am

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by nishimark
Rural Japan is dying quickly. If tourists could find their way to rural sites more easily, maybe it would help. In the States, it seems that Bed & Breakfast places have provided a reason for people to visit small scenic towns. However, I think that it's very difficult for a tourist in Japan to figure out how to get to a small town, as well as find a place to stay there and something to see/do. Rural Japan is not an unfriendly place, but difficult to access for a visiting foreigner I think.
Do most travelers even know about minshuku? They would be a real draw for tourists who want to enjoy traditional rural Japan.

Do the ryokan booking services in train stations have English-speaking personnel?

On the other hand, I've had no problem booking traditional accommodations on booking.com, so the information isn't exactly hidden. For example, on my 2014 trip, I easily booked a minshuku in Tsuwano that was run by an elderly couple.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 9:11 am
Suspended

1. Speak English more widely
  2. Be more welcoming to foreigners (stop the racism)
Old Jul 22, 2016, 10:00 am

Who do the Japanese want to visit the country? North Americans/Western Europeans? Seems like different draws vs Chinese, etc.

- play up the unique culture and history. Outsiders love this. The ryokans, the onsens, the different festivals, the food, sumo, etc.

- make wifi like South Korea... all over the place, free, no need to sign up. This is such an incredibly helpful feature.

- hire people who understand UX from other perspectives. the Japanese UX seems at odds with... the rest of the world. even the most global 'brands' sites are difficult to follow if you need to book something or find info online.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 1:36 pm

Programs: FT
don't assume because a person has a tattoo of tweety bird on their boobs they are part of the yakuza...or don't use this as an excuse to deny services at onsens to gaijins...
Old Jul 22, 2016, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
See that this is fast turning into “What is wrong with Japanese?” post.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 2:39 pm

Anecdotal, but I've never seen anyone with 'tattoos' be rejected from onsens... I've also never had a problem with traveling with medicine... perhaps not with a prescription
Old Jul 22, 2016, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
See that this is fast turning into “What is wrong with Japanese?” post.
But you assume that the same is not the basis for an impediment to increased tourism. Which frankly, it is.

So if the government truly gives a crap about the same, then they need to criticize many for burying their heads in the same.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by mkjr
But you assume that the same is not the basis for an impediment to increased tourism. Which frankly, it is.

So if the government truly gives a crap about the same, then they need to criticize many for burying their heads in the same.
No, I do not see that way. It all sounds like implying that Japanese have to be like you if Japanese want to be liked by you and for you to Japan.

Because of difference in culture, difference in reference point, difference in point of view, difference in ethics, etc. something which is considered good customer service is not considered good customer service in Japan. Something which considered inappropriate in your country can considered not inappropriate in Japan. A lot of reverse can be said.

Many posts are implying that Japanese have to adopt view point of your home country, then I do not think that is tourism. It more sounds like what many European counties have done colonizing countries and adopting European view point to colonies.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
No, I do not see that way. It all sounds like implying that Japanese have to be like you if Japanese want to be liked by you and for you to Japan.
I don't see it that way at all. It's just business. If you want to sell a product, you need to offer something the customers like.

Same way hotels in Hawaii offer package tours, Japanese breakfasts, free bus rides to the duty free stores, etc

Japan can do anything it wants, but if it wants more tourists, it needs to make some changes.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Because of difference in culture, difference in reference point, difference in point of view, difference in ethics, etc. something which is considered good customer service is not considered good customer service in Japan. Something which considered inappropriate in your country can considered not inappropriate in Japan. A lot of reverse can be said.
Also, I'm not sure this is a cultural thing. Japanese who have traveled abroad to nice hotels and resorts have the same complaints about the inflexibility of service at resorts in Japan. If Japanese hotels/resorts/ryokans fixed these problems not only would they get more tourists from overseas, they'd get millions of extra Japanese customers who would make trips in Japan instead of traveling overseas.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 6:05 pm

Many posts are implying that Japanese have to adopt view point of your home country, then I do not think that is tourism. It more sounds like what many European counties have done colonizing countries and adopting European view point to colonies.
Hey. I'm a Canadian. When it comes to tourism. I don't care about my views. You visit...enjoy. You want to behave like you do in Japan in yyz. Welcome. Spend your money. Enjoy. I'm good. Spend more money buying stuff. Hey, do what ever you want.

Bullocks to hide behind an isolation attitude to tourism.

And I pitty the old schoolers in Japan when they wake up and realize they have to suck up significant increases in immigrants to prop up the fictitious pensions.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by 5khours

Japan can do anything it wants, but if it wants more tourists, it needs to make some changes.
Some. How about a massive cultural shift from the traditional isolationist ideology.

Or they can continue and expect the world to read a five page doc on how to behave in Japan. Ummmm no. This is IF they want 40M tourists.

If they are content with what they have, fine. Bu I agree. They are not getting 40million without giving up a good chunk of their ideals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.