Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cruising Japan

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2016, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Cruising Japan

We contemplating a cruise that goes around Japan. We usually travel overland but getting older and think this cruise will show a lot. We can always book a guide to meet is at the port. We plan to spend 3 days in Tokyo first what can we travel to by high speed train and return same evening to Tokyo.
The cruise itinerary stops at Kushiro, crossing by sea theShiretoko peninsula , Korsakov (we know it's Russia), Otaru,Hakadote, Amori, and return to Tokyo..
Please let us know your thoughts on this itinerary. Thank you in advance.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ejmmjm
We contemplating a cruise that goes around Japan. We usually travel overland but getting older and think this cruise will show a lot. We can always book a guide to meet is at the port. We plan to spend 3 days in Tokyo first what can we travel to by high speed train and return same evening to Tokyo.
The cruise itinerary stops at Kushiro, crossing by sea theShiretoko peninsula , Korsakov (we know it's Russia), Otaru,Hakadote, Amori, and return to Tokyo..
Please let us know your thoughts on this itinerary. Thank you in advance.
Sounds like a nice itinerary, enjoy !
Old Jun 1, 2016, 9:55 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Sounds like you are looking at 8 Days Circle Hokkaido cruise by Princess Cruise. I never took a cruise so I cannot comment on that part.

It is a cruise to go around Hokkaido, it is a beautiful place, and you will add Russia to that. During WWII that Korsakov was occupied by Japan, considered part of Japan back then. You will hit key port cities of Hokkaido. It is northern Japan, cruise is scheduled during October which Hokkaido during that time is getting little chilly, especially with ocean breeze on a cruise. It will be not like sunny warm cruise of Caribbean.

During your three days stay at Tokyo you can tour around Tokyo, do not have to take high speed train out of Tokyo.

Enjoy the cruise if you decide to take the cruise. Cruise experts may able to chime in regarding specific of ship itself and cruise.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 12:21 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
The Shiretoko Peninsula is among the most beautiful areas I have seen. Of course, I didn't see it from a cruise ship but the views should still be stunning. Likewise, Hakodate is a great place to visit with much of historical interest and a nice little morning market right at the harbor.

This cruise sounds like a nice way to see some of the less commonly visited areas of northern Japan. The Sea of Okhotsk freezes over later in the year but in October it will just be chilly. Take warm clothes and enjoy your trip.

Hakodate harbor from hilltop viewpoint near historic British Embassy building.

Old Jun 1, 2016, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Easy daytrips from Tokyo include Kamakura and Nikko. Though it is easy to fill 3 days in Tokyo!
Old Jun 1, 2016, 1:15 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you need a visa to get off the ship in Korsakov? For US citizens, Russian visas are a pain to get.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 12:25 pm

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Do you need a visa to get off the ship in Korsakov? For US citizens, Russian visas are a pain to get.
If it is like when I stopped in St. Petersburg a few years back, they didn't require a visa for stays under 72 hours with an approved tour guide. They do want to encourage those cruise ships filled with dollar-spending tourists to dock at their country for a day or two.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.