Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sending luggage forward from TYO

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2016, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Sending luggage forward from TYO

Apologies if this isn't the right forum for this, wasn't sure where to ask.

I'll be traveling from Tokyo first to Germany where I'll stay around a week and then onwards to the US. FWIW my Tokyo-Germany and Germany-US legs will most likely be on separate tickets and separate airlines.

There will be 1 or 2 suitcases that I need to take with me but won't need in Germany. I'm wondering if there is a way to send this luggage forward to my final destination, so I can pick it up at the airport when I get there? Is there a takkyubin style service available that can handle this? If anyone has experience with this kind of thing would really appreciate the help.
Old May 28, 2016, 6:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Air freight or some other freight channel. But, if you are talking about standard passenger checked luggage, I do not know of any carrier which will either send international luggage separately from the passenger in voluntary situations or which will check across even connections, let alone separate tickets of more than a few hours let alone a week.

Air freight can get quite expensive and can also involve a lot of paperwork. Consider the hassle factor vs. the hassle of an extra bag.

If you post the carriers, the exact routing and so forth, you can obtain more accurate information here.
Old May 28, 2016, 6:16 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
I know Yamato, FedEx, OCS, etc. do such service. However, I do not think you will able to pick up at the airport. I am guessing that you are looking for picking up at the arrival area of the airport as you arrive at the U.S. airport. FedEx usually does have airport location but it is typically not located at passenger terminal. Have to get out of the terminal and drive around the airport to get to a cargo area. U.S. airports are not passenger friendly environment like Japanese airport…

If you do not have delivery address in the U.S. then I think situation will be picking up at a carrier’s office in the U.S. I do not know your budget but I am not sure if a cost is worth it or not. 2 suite cases mean you will not exceed airline’s checked baggage allowance. I know it is for convenience, but is there some specific reason you do not want to take it to Germany with you?

If you are hoping that an airline can check baggage all the way to the U.S. at Tokyo and never see your baggage at Germany, then I do not think that is possible. Your situation at Germany is stop over, not transit, so airlines will not through check baggage to the U.S.

If your baggage does not travel on the same flight as you travel Japan-Germany-the U.S. then that will be classified as air freight, not checked baggage, which is not included in the ticket you have purchased.

Last edited by AlwaysAisle; May 28, 2016 at 6:35 am
Old May 29, 2016, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Air freight or some other freight channel. But, if you are talking about standard passenger checked luggage, I do not know of any carrier which will either send international luggage separately from the passenger in voluntary situations or which will check across even connections, let alone separate tickets of more than a few hours let alone a week.

Air freight can get quite expensive and can also involve a lot of paperwork. Consider the hassle factor vs. the hassle of an extra bag.

If you post the carriers, the exact routing and so forth, you can obtain more accurate information here.
Thank you for the reply. Don't have a confirmed itinerary at the moment but most likely it will be Tokyo-Dusseldorf and then from there to Detroit. Saw options on Aeroflot and Etihad to get to DUS, and then a bunch of different ways to get to DTW.
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
I know Yamato, FedEx, OCS, etc. do such service. However, I do not think you will able to pick up at the airport. I am guessing that you are looking for picking up at the arrival area of the airport as you arrive at the U.S. airport. FedEx usually does have airport location but it is typically not located at passenger terminal. Have to get out of the terminal and drive around the airport to get to a cargo area. U.S. airports are not passenger friendly environment like Japanese airport

If you do not have delivery address in the U.S. then I think situation will be picking up at a carriers office in the U.S. I do not know your budget but I am not sure if a cost is worth it or not. 2 suite cases mean you will not exceed airlines checked baggage allowance. I know it is for convenience, but is there some specific reason you do not want to take it to Germany with you?

If you are hoping that an airline can check baggage all the way to the U.S. at Tokyo and never see your baggage at Germany, then I do not think that is possible. Your situation at Germany is stop over, not transit, so airlines will not through check baggage to the U.S.

If your baggage does not travel on the same flight as you travel Japan-Germany-the U.S. then that will be classified as air freight, not checked baggage, which is not included in the ticket you have purchased.
Thanks for the detailed response. Yes I was envisioning something like they have in Japan where I would simply collect my bags from the airport.

As to why I want to avoid taking bags to Germany, partly just for convenience and also because I'll be staying with relatives there, don't want to trouble them with having to transport and store all this luggage, especially when I won't need all of it. It'll be myself and my wife so a total of 4 suitcases.

Maybe an easier option might be to check the bags to Germany and store them at the airport. Then I can do my thing there and just re-check once leaving for the US. The rates at DUS seem quite reasonable.
https://www.dus.com/en/services/gepaeck/left-luggage

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.