Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ryokan stay advice for one or two nights

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2016, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Ryokan stay advice for one or two nights

I would like to experience one or two nights in a Ryokan during our upcoming Japan trip.

So far I have booked a two week trip for me and two school-aged kids. I have tentatively booked hotels in Tokyo-Kyoto-Hiroshima-Tokyo, with a plan to do day trips out of each city. The hotel reservations are cancellable and the itinerary is subject to change.

I don't mind which city the Ryokan stay is in, out of the above cities, or in one of the day-trip destinations near each of these cities, which I could turn into an overnight trip including a Ryokan stay.

So far the hotels I have booked vary from (taxes included) 18,000 yen in Hiroshima to to 37000 Yen in Tokyo so that is my price range, although I would prefer to keep it in the low to mid part of that price range if possible. I am interested in a more traditional Ryokan experience rather than a modern-looking building.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have done some internet searching and found nothing to appealing in my price range.
Old May 27, 2016, 6:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Many ryokan would prefer not to have foreign guests. Others do not accept children. This effectively limits your options to some of the ones that welcome foreigners and are likely to have some English speaking staff.
Old May 27, 2016, 6:13 pm

I really love Shiraume in Kyoto. It does cost a bit more but includes breakfast and dinner.
Old May 27, 2016, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beardedmeerkat
I really love Shiraume in Kyoto. It does cost a bit more but includes breakfast and dinner.
It is booked up, or at least they said they were booked up, when I enquired about a room for me and my kids.
Old May 28, 2016, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
A good place for a ryokan stay would be Miyajima (Hiroshima). If it were me I'd axe Hiroshima and go to a nice Onsen town like Kinosaki to experience a ryokan/hot spring.
Old May 29, 2016, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by schriste
If it were me I'd axe Hiroshima and go to a nice Onsen town like Kinosaki to experience a ryokan/hot spring.
This looks quite appealing but taking one boy and one girl with me, the separate gender baths would not work out, as my daughter would be on her own. Next time though.
Old May 29, 2016, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap
It is booked up, or at least they said they were booked up, when I enquired about a room for me and my kids.

most of the popular ryokans are fully booked in advance. plus I think Shiraume only has 7 rooms. I didn't see when you said your trip is. it will be easier to get a room during the week than the weekend. that applies to all ryokans.
Old May 30, 2016, 8:20 am

I just want to share my 2 cents as I recently booked 1 night at a ryokan in a hotspring (onsen).

Make sure you select the room and services that you want! There are several choices: Twin Room, Japanese room with Western-style beds, Traditional Japanese rooms, no meals included, breakfast included, breakfast and dinner included (half-board) etc. The options can be confusing and overwhelming! I found JapanIcan gives the best prices for ryokan.

I believe many of the rooms accommodate smokers although some don't so make sure you look into that if you (or your kids) are allergic to smoke.

Happy travels!
Old May 30, 2016, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap
This looks quite appealing but taking one boy and one girl with me, the separate gender baths would not work out, as my daughter would be on her own. Next time though.
Separate gender baths don't have to be separate for a child not old enough to look after herself for an hour.
If she's that young, she can accompany you both.
My own kid is 6, never been an issue for us, she decides who she'll bathe with - Mum (me), or Dad, or Granddad.
Resort places (like those in the Hoshinoya or Century Hotel chains) will usually have a children's area close to the restaurant and onsen. She goes there if she wants a shorter dining or bathing experience.
Old May 30, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by LapLap
Separate gender baths don't have to be separate for a child not old enough to look after herself for an hour.
If she's that young, she can accompany you both.
My own kid is 6, never been an issue for us, she decides who she'll bathe with - Mum (me), or Dad, or Granddad.
Resort places (like those in the Hoshinoya or Century Hotel chains) will usually have a children's area close to the restaurant and onsen. She goes there if she wants a shorter dining or bathing experience.
When I lived in Japan, I went to the public bath, and although there were separate men's and women's sections, there was a door about a meter high between the two sections, and both little boys and little girls used it to move freely between the sections. There was a sign on the wall that said that children over the age of 8 were forbidden in the area assigned to the opposite sex.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.