Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kyoto (27-30 March) - Itinerary Help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2015, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Kyoto (27-30 March) - Itinerary Help

Hi Guys, need help with my itinerary in Kyoto (27-30 March). It think the sequences might be in a mess. Would appreciate if you guys can advise. Any places I should include or exclude? Thanks!

Will be arriving in Osaka on the 27 Mar at 1550, and travel directly to Kyoto.

27 March
(not decided)
- Accomodation (should be able to get settled by 1800?)
- Dinner
- Maruyama Park

28 March
- Fushimi Inari-Taisya shrine (better to go in the morning?)
- Tofukuji temple
- Philosoper's walk
- Kiyomizu Temple
- Higashiyama Streets
- Yasaka Shrine
- Gion district

29 March
- Arashiyama Bamboo Grove
- Togetsu-Kyo Bridge
- Cherry blossom viewing along the river of Togetsu-Kyo Bridge
- Osaka castle or Nara's Deer park?

30 March
- go to place that we missed out
- leave for Mt. Fuji
Old Mar 11, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: AA PLT
For some recommended sequences, take a look at japan-guide:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3950.html
Old Mar 11, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I don't have time right now to dissect this in detail but it needs a lot of help.

Some general thoughts:

You are trying to do too many widely separated areas in too short time frames during a very short visit. Much of what you have planned is outside of Kyoto and you seem to be skipping many of the best sites. I'd suggest trimming at least one or the other of Fushimi or Arashiyama and adding some of the better sites like Ginkaku-ji, Nijo Castle, Heian Jingu and others that are closer together in the city. Tofuku-ji seems an odd choice as your only major temple. It isn't really one of the more popular ones and isn't particularly convenient.

I am not enamored by the Philosopher's Path. It really is a time waster for little to see. It just connects Ginkaku-ji with the other higashi-area temples down toward Nazen-ji and Kiyomizu-dera.

I'd suggest skipping Osaka Castle, which is a modern reconstruction. Osaka is just more of Tokyo on a visit this short. Spend at least a half-day or more in Nara.

Understand that March 27-29 might be too early in the year for "cherry blossom viewing." If they come early, that will be great but most years they arrive in the Kyoto area in the first week of April.

More later.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 11:27 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Understand that March 27-29 might be too early in the year for "cherry blossom viewing." If they come early, that will be great but most years they arrive in the Kyoto area in the first week of April.
Since I will be in Japan around the same time, I have been following this year's cherry blossom forecast, which OP might find helpful:

http://www.jnto.go.jp/sakura/eng/index.php
Old Mar 11, 2015, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by linglingfool
... this year's cherry blossom forecast ...
Looks like they are predicting a quite early open this year. That would be good for several folks who have posted here about trips in March.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 1:36 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Full bloom is most likely a week later than the predicted first bloom.....

I find this to be an easier read: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2011.html
Old Mar 11, 2015, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA, NW
If you want to see Fushimi-Inari Taisha, do so on the way to Nara, and skip the Philosopher's Walk unless you really like to walk (I do) and want to see a lot of temples whose differences are meaningful only if you know a lot about Buddhism or medieval Japanese art.

Do you have a map of Kyoto? It's always a good idea to group sights that are near one another.

I agree with the suggestion to skip Osaka Castle and Tofukuji and add in, at the very minimum, Kinkakuji (the Golden Pavilion) and Nijo Castle. Ginkakuji (the Silver Pavilion, although it's not really silver)is at the north end of the Philosopher's Walk, and if decide to take the Walk after all, that would be your starting point. Heian Jingu is not real ancient, but it's good for people watching. If you like markets, Nishiki-koji is just north of Shijo-dori (streets in Kyoto actually have names).

It's easy to get "templed out" in Kyoto, especially if you don't know much about Buddhism.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 5:35 pm

Great plan!

- Fushimi Inari-Taisya shrine (better to go in the morning?)
My thoughts: Yes. But it should be pleasant in the Spring. Remember to bring a small bottle of water in. I also packed snacks.

- Gion district
My thoughts: Yes. Make sure to go after dark when there's much more going on.

- Osaka castle or Nara's Deer park?
My thoughts: Nara, unless you see deer every day (in that case, Osaka castle). Both requires a bit of walking.

- leave for Mt. Fuji
Good luck on Mt. Fuji.

Have you considered Kinkaku-ji 金閣寺 if your schedule can accomadate?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkaku-ji
Time for visit is important for Kinkaku-ji if you prefer a certain lighting.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Bluebirdie Lan
Great plan!

- Gion district
My thoughts: Yes. Make sure to go after dark when there's much more going on.

- leave for Mt. Fuji
Good luck on Mt. Fuji.
=
The real heart of the geisha scene in Kyoto is an area called Ponto-cho, across the river from the Gion district. You're going to just miss the Miyako Odori, which is a program put on by the geisha of Kyoto doing traditional dances in amazing costumes.

I'll give you one of my standard pieces of advice: Don't bother actually going to Mt. Fuji unless you plan to climb it. It's either visible for miles or not visible at all, and the closer you are to summer, the less likely you are to see it, even if you're within a couple of miles. If it is visible, you will see it on the way to Tokyo from the left side of the train somewhere between Shizuoka and Odawara and from tall buildings in Tokyo as well.

Now Hakone National Park, near Odawara, is scenic and fun, because there's a special tourist circuit that involves riding a train, a bus, a funicular, an aerial tramway, and a fake pirate ship. If Fuji is visible, you will be able to see it from Hakone.

If it's castles you want, skip the reconstructed building with elevators that is Osaka Castle and take a train trip to Hikone (not Hakone, Hikone) on Lake Biwa. That is an authentic castle, and you have to climb ladder-like stairs to reach the top.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 11:32 pm

Nara Park is a lot more than a "deer park." IMHO, the deer are just a nuisance, kind of like a lot of large squirrels begging for handouts, in a specific area near the snack and souvenir stands. Go to Nara Park for Todai-ji (the giant Buddha), Kasuga Taishi Grand Shrine, the treasure storehouse and any number of other impressive sights. Feeding the deer will take 5 minutes, leaving several hours for the rest of the park. The neighborhoods around the park will be awash in plum and cherry blossoms in late March.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 7:05 am
Original Poster

thanks so much for your advise, i will take them into consideration.

I would like to visit the bamboo grove, Fushimi Inari Shrine, Kiyomizu Temple and the Philosopher's walk. These are the must go for me, the rest are pretty negotiable. I cant really differential the temple and shrines, thus, I might just walk into any when I see one. Not sure which are the ones that are worth making a trip too.

As what you guys had mentioned, I might have to go look into Kinkakuji temple and the Nijo castle for my itinerary. and unfortunately, cherry blossoms might not be in full bloom and I wouldnt be catching most of it?
Old Mar 12, 2015, 9:54 am

Programs: UA MP
I definitely agree with visiting Kinkakuji and Ginkakuji.

I've honestly always thought Kiyomizu was a waste of time - it's usually completely packed with tourists (compared to other places that aren't). The last time I went there (in August last year) parts of it were closed or renovations. I also wasn't really impressed by Nijo Castle either.

There are tons of really nice places in Kyoto that aren't crowded at all. I've been to Kodaiji and Shorenin and I appreciated them a lot more than the usual tourist sites (Shugakuin, and the Imperial Villas are also really nice but quite difficult to get a reservation for).

One more question - where is your hotel in Kyoto?
Old Mar 12, 2015, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by acregal
I definitely agree with visiting Kinkakuji and Ginkakuji.

I've honestly always thought Kiyomizu was a waste of time - it's usually completely packed with tourists (compared to other places that aren't). The last time I went there (in August last year) parts of it were closed or renovations. I also wasn't really impressed by Nijo Castle either.

One more question - where is your hotel in Kyoto?
I've always liked Kiyomizu for two reasons: the view of the city and the walk up past all the funky little souvenir shops.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by ksandness
I'll give you one of my standard pieces of advice: Don't bother actually going to Mt. Fuji unless you plan to climb it. It's either visible for miles or not visible at all, and the closer you are to summer, the less likely you are to see it, even if you're within a couple of miles...
I agree with ksandness. But if OP still wants to climb Mt Fuji, make sure to plan well. There are buses going halfway up, which run only Intermittently. It takes time and energy to schedule a climb to the top, and lots of luck for visibility.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by ksandness
I've always liked Kiyomizu for two reasons: the view of the city and the walk up past all the funky little souvenir shops.
Especially nowadays with the huge numbers of Chinese tourists the main routes through Higashiyama are simply packed, making it hard to enjoy either the view or the souvenir shops. Some of the shops (such as the place where you can make your own pottery or nicer tea places) didn't really seem to try to get foreigners to come in

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.