Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Avoiding Getting Lost in Tokyo

Avoiding Getting Lost in Tokyo

Old Jan 10, 2015, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by joer1212
Actually, the hardest part of navigating Tokyo is going to be when I exit a metro station, and there is no point of reference to know where I am because the streets have no name.
Usually, when I'm in a strange city and exit a metro station, I am very disoriented. So, the first thing I do is look at the street sign and find it on my map. After I identify the street on the map, the rest is easy.
Without the ability to do this, I will be basically castrated. I will be like a clueless wanderer in the desert. 'Landmarks', 'subway stations', etc are no substitute for proper street signage. I understand that this goes back centuries, to confuse enemies, but in 2015, you would think the Japanese would have remedied this by now.
Subway station exits are labeled as exit 1, exit 2, exit A1, A2, D1, etc. Stations have signs indicating which way which exits are. The station concourse will also have a map of the vicinity of the station showing where the different exits are and the nearby landmarks/buildings/streets. If you get a detailed Tokyo map or have access to googlemaps, they will have all the subway exits labeled also. That's how you would orient yourself.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 1:23 am
mjm
Original Member

Actually, the hardest part of navigating Tokyo is going to be when I exit a metro station, and there is no point of reference to know where I am because the streets have no name.
Usually, when I'm in a strange city and exit a metro station, I am very disoriented. So, the first thing I do is look at the street sign and find it on my map. After I identify the street on the map, the rest is easy.
Without the ability to do this, I will be basically castrated. I will be like a clueless wanderer in the desert. 'Landmarks', 'subway stations', etc are no substitute for proper street signage. I understand that this goes back centuries, to confuse enemies, but in 2015, you would think the Japanese would have remedied this by now.
Travel the world and deal with a whole bunch of things that are done differently than you might at home. That does not make them worthy of rectifying.

In Tokyo, when you arrive at the metro station of your destination there are maps on the walls in many locations in every station showing in Japanese and in English where you are vis a vis each exit. These maps are compete with building names and many other common icons. You decide where you want to and you go out the exit having realized from looking at the map that you need to go X streets up and turn right and then y streets and turn left. Were there street names it would be no different.

Either embrace the adventure of new and different ways of doing things, or get a smartphone and adhere to your plan to not interact with the people f Tokyo, or go somewhere that meets your apparently very critical standards.

Too much good advice has been offered upthread, too much reassurance has been offered. It may be time to just suggest you deal with it as a curious world trekking adult living in the age of smartphones or go elsewhere.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you had the Kodansha City Atlas and could find your destination you would also be able to pick out the number of the exit required from the map and head for that, there is clear wayfinding in all the stations to help you identify the numbered exits. So no, that is not necessarily the hardest part.

If you were forced to use an elevator route because of a wheelchair or a child's buggy, that would be tricky, but you aren't.

Granted, it can get a bit difficult in some of the "super" stations, such as Tokyo station itself, Shinjuku or, as is recently the case since its expansion, Shibuya, but these problems are not severe or insurmountable and the major stations also have major landmarks around. The map shows many of the shop names and other stand out details which can be identified quickly once you emerge disorientated from the Nether's portals.

I consider myself to be a serial tourist to Japan, particularly to Tokyo. When I am alone or alone with my child I have been consistently offered over the past 10 years unsolicited help and assistance any time I have stopped to pour over my paperback atlas or have looked quizzically at a large map. I interacted with many people in Tokyo during my last visit in late Spring 2014, but one of the most gracious was an elegant lady at Shinjuku station who went out of her way to accompany me through to my destination. I was transferring from a rail line and needed to get to a particular exit so that I could continue my journey to Azabu Juban by bus, the child with me was asleep so I was hoisting her which made referring to any kind of map impossible for me. It is a genuine surprise to me that there are posters here who find the people in Tokyo to be too aloof or shy to be helpful, this is completely outside of my own experience. I can only surmise that it will depend to some extent on you and how "approachable" others find you.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LapLap
If you had the Kodansha City Atlas and could find your destination you would also be able to pick out the number of the exit required from the map and head for that, there is clear wayfinding in all the stations to help you identify the numbered exits. So no, that is not necessarily the hardest part.

If you were forced to use an elevator route because of a wheelchair or a child's buggy, that would be tricky, but you aren't.

Granted, it can get a bit difficult in some of the "super" stations, such as Tokyo station itself, Shinjuku or, as is recently the case since its expansion, Shibuya, but these problems are not severe or insurmountable and the major stations also have major landmarks around. The map shows many of the shop names and other stand out details which can be identified quickly once you emerge disorientated from the Nether's portals.

I consider myself to be a serial tourist to Japan, particularly to Tokyo. When I am alone or alone with my child I have been consistently offered over the past 10 years unsolicited help and assistance any time I have stopped to pour over my paperback atlas or have looked quizzically at a large map. I interacted with many people in Tokyo during my last visit in late Spring 2014, but one of the most gracious was an elegant lady at Shinjuku station who went out of her way to accompany me through to my destination. I was transferring from a rail line and needed to get to a particular exit so that I could continue my journey to Azabu Juban by bus, the child with me was asleep so I was hoisting her which made referring to any kind of map impossible for me. It is a genuine surprise to me that there are posters here who find the people in Tokyo to be too aloof or shy to be helpful, this is completely outside of my own experience. I can only surmise that it will depend to some extent on you and how "approachable" others find you.
I think being female helps a lot, especially if you have a kid with you.

Last edited by joer1212; Jan 10, 2015 at 12:17 pm
Old Jan 10, 2015, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If that's your assumption then it will almost certainly become your experience.
Never found that people were any more helpful when I had a kid with me than before I had one, having a child just took me back to where I was a few years ago. Before getting pregnant I'd been accumulating experience in Tokyo and thus needed less assistance, visiting with a child cancels out some of that experience meaning that you are back to doing things for the first time and using routes you are unfamiliar with (like taking a bus despite the route taking longer because the stop is much closer than the nearest subway station, vital when your companion has become a deadweight)
Originally Posted by jib71
I've had several unsolicited offers of help. I guess I look vulnerable.
I've met this FTer, not female, and fits my idea of "approachable" (definitely not vulnerable).
Old Jan 10, 2015, 3:35 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Not my experience at all. I get approached by kids a lot, not the other way around. At 6'5" and well over 200 lbs, I can be intimidating to some but little kids see me as some kind of jii-chan (grandpop) and often talk to me. It is probably the white hair. Many conversations have gotten started with parents or grandparents after the kid started it. Those are treasured interactions and have led to recommendations for interesting sites or restaurants I would have otherwise missed as well as some nice photos.

Of course, it helps to speak a little Japanese as the little ones often have NO English but the adults usually do, even if they say not.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 8:35 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet Rewards
The Tokyo City Atlas: Bilingual Guide (by Kodansha) mentioned earlier is a definite must. With it being bilingual you can always ask a local to point out things and both of you will understand.

Also highly recommended is a subway guide. Back in 2008 I used this one http://www.amazon.com/Little-Tokyo-S...o+subway+guide but it's not available anymore.

You will want a small printed reference you can study ahead of time vs relying only on the wall maps inside the stations. My guide had the intersecting stations for each line marked, as well as station locations for all major landmarks, hotels, parks, museums, temples, etc. Travel time in minutes between each station is also noted to allow calculation of travel time.

Another important note: There are 2 subway companies in Tokyo. The lines are integrated but you need different tickets for each. You can buy a day pass for each individual company or a combined pass for travel on either set of lines.

Many places that deal with foreigners (such as the hotel I stayed at) have detailed walking directions in English from the nearest subway station, with walking time listed in minutes. The system was designed to have most locations within a 10-15 minute of the nearest station.

Another tip would be to carry a small compass to help orient you when exiting a station. Very handy to get back to a station too when you know you are in the right neighbourhood but find yourself walking around in a circle.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fragola
The Tokyo City Atlas: Bilingual Guide (by Kodansha) mentioned earlier is a definite must. With it being bilingual you can always ask a local to point out things and both of you will understand.

Also highly recommended is a subway guide. Back in 2008 I used this one http://www.amazon.com/Little-Tokyo-S...o+subway+guide but it's not available anymore.

You will want a small printed reference you can study ahead of time vs relying only on the wall maps inside the stations. My guide had the intersecting stations for each line marked, as well as station locations for all major landmarks, hotels, parks, museums, temples, etc. Travel time in minutes between each station is also noted to allow calculation of travel time.

Another important note: There are 2 subway companies in Tokyo. The lines are integrated but you need different tickets for each. You can buy a day pass for each individual company or a combined pass for travel on either set of lines.

Many places that deal with foreigners (such as the hotel I stayed at) have detailed walking directions in English from the nearest subway station, with walking time listed in minutes. The system was designed to have most locations within a 10-15 minute of the nearest station.

Another tip would be to carry a small compass to help orient you when exiting a station. Very handy to get back to a station too when you know you are in the right neighbourhood but find yourself walking around in a circle.
These are some good tips.
I was actually looking for a compass, though I'm having trouble finding a place that sells them without having to trek to a remote part of the city.
I already have 2 small subway maps at my disposal, and I am aware of the different Tokyo subway companies.
I have a couple of questions, though:

Does a combined ticket also cover the JR Yamanote line, or do I need a separate ticket for that?

How would I know which direction a train will be traveling? Are there signs that say, for example, 'to Meguro' or 'to Nishi takashimadaira'?
In New York, the subway has signs that specifically tell you what the last stop on that line is.
In Moscow, there are signs on the walls of the stations.

One more thing. I just googled the atlas you recommend, and apparently not one seller has this book in stock, including Barnes & Noble, and it's too late to order it by mail.
Also, isn't this atlas a bit old? It was originally written in 1998, and the last time it was updated was in 2004.

Last edited by joer1212; Jan 11, 2015 at 11:06 am
Old Jan 11, 2015, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Like mkjr, my old Kodansha Tokyo City Atlas served me well over the years. The new version from 2012 (3rd ed.) is available on Amazon as well. The only electronics I use are my cameras and my laptop, which I connect to the hotel wi-fi to check and send e-mail and work on photos. My phone gets turned off when I board the plane in the states and stays off until I return home. Smart phone, GPS, meh!
As mentioned, the map was last updated in 2012.
http://www.amazon.com/Tokyo-City-Atl.../dp/1568364458

(FWIW, I still have the 2004 edition which I still use, this could partly explain why Shibuya has become a puzzle)

The Tokyo subway and rail system is clearly documented in the atlas, it makes journeys by rail very simple to plan and follow.
When you are at a station the way finding is excellent, far better than that used at New York. As well as telling you major stations and end stations to help indicate direction of travel, each platform clearly displays the name of the station you are at in English, the name of the station the train came from and the next station it is going to.
The only ticket you would need is a SUICA or PASMO card which is topped up before you travel. The correct fare will be deducted no matter which route you travel, even if two companies are involved.

Hopefully, you will take in the information from a map more efficiently than the information from this one thread.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 1:04 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Various subway passes with different coverage are described on this site
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2017.html

On a typical day, I don't travel enough to make any of the day passes worthwhile. YMMV. I don't even bother thinking about them - I just use a prepaid IC card (SUICA) which gives me flexibility to use virtually all modes of public transit by paying the fare each time.

OP appears to have convinced himself that Tokyo is going to be a huge challenge, but as many point out, the multilingual signage and wayfinding systems are abundant. While they don't work in exactly the same way as the ones in your home country, it won't take you long to work out.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 1:25 am

I too don't bother with these Tokyo passes. These passes may or may not save me money, but I just go for the simplest thing which is to use Suica or Passmo card. With that, you don't have to worry about purchasing single tickets each time, you don't have to worry about whether you're getting on JR, shitetsu (private above-ground train companies), Toei, Metro, bus or trolley. You don't have to futz around with cash at convenience stores.

There will be signs indicating where each train is headed. Both English and Jpnese. It'll be on the signboard at the station concourse, each platform and on the train itself. But beware that different trains in Tokyo going same direction on a particular track will often have different destinations. For example, if you catch the Fukutoshin line in Shibuya going northbound, then the trains' final destinations could be Kotesashi or Wako-shi or Hanno, etc, even though they're all headed up north on the same track for a while.

I think all these details are making it sound more complicated than it actually is, and increase your anxiety further. Honestly, just have a map/guidebook (eg, Timeout), arrive in Tokyo, get a Suica/Passmo card, and you'll manage. Every American person that I know (some of them fairly absent-minded) who's visited Jpn recently managed to get around and enjoy Tokyo.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 8:20 am
McG

Programs: BAEC
On my iPad I have the following:

Lonely Planet Tokyo Guide
Maps.ME offline maps app with Tokyo maps installed.
PDF file of Tokyo subway network
PDF file of Tokyo rail network

I can access all of these without having a network connection.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
How would I know which direction a train will be traveling? Are there signs that say, for example, 'to Meguro' or 'to Nishi takashimadaira'?
The signposting and indicators on Tokyo's public transport are so good that even Mrs. Pickles doesn't get lost. And take it from me, Pickles, that's saying something.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by evergrn
But beware that different trains in Tokyo going same direction on a particular track will often have different destinations. For example, if you catch the Fukutoshin line in Shibuya going northbound, then the trains' final destinations could be Kotesashi or Wako-shi or Hanno, etc, even though they're all headed up north on the same track for a while.
I am carefully examining a Tokyo subway map, and I don't see how this is possible.
The F ((Fukutoshin line) originates at Shibuya on the South end, and terminates at Wakoshi at the North end.
Where does the F train diverge into another line to terminate at Kotesashi or Hanno? I can't even find these stations on the map.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 11:03 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
... One more thing. I just googled the atlas you recommend, and apparently not one seller has this book in stock, including Barnes & Noble, and it's too late to order it by mail....
Which are you looking at? The Kodansha Tokyo Atlas is available on Amazon for immediate purchase and 2-day shipment for a small extra fee. The 3rd edition, as I posted above is from 2012.

Really, you are making this much more difficult than it is. The main stations in Tokyo are all signed in English and staffed with many uniformed personnel who can direct you to the correct platform. Carry a brochure or card from your hotel. Even if everything goes to complete crap, just go to street level, hail a cab and show the driver the material from the hotel or tell him where you want to go and he will take you there. That shouldn't be necessary but will work if all else fails.

Last edited by abmj-jr; Jan 11, 2015 at 11:12 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.