FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Avoiding Getting Lost in Tokyo
View Single Post
Old Jan 11, 2015, 12:53 am
LapLap
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Like mkjr, my old Kodansha Tokyo City Atlas served me well over the years. The new version from 2012 (3rd ed.) is available on Amazon as well. The only electronics I use are my cameras and my laptop, which I connect to the hotel wi-fi to check and send e-mail and work on photos. My phone gets turned off when I board the plane in the states and stays off until I return home. Smart phone, GPS, meh!
As mentioned, the map was last updated in 2012.
http://www.amazon.com/Tokyo-City-Atl.../dp/1568364458

(FWIW, I still have the 2004 edition which I still use, this could partly explain why Shibuya has become a puzzle)

The Tokyo subway and rail system is clearly documented in the atlas, it makes journeys by rail very simple to plan and follow.
When you are at a station the way finding is excellent, far better than that used at New York. As well as telling you major stations and end stations to help indicate direction of travel, each platform clearly displays the name of the station you are at in English, the name of the station the train came from and the next station it is going to.
The only ticket you would need is a SUICA or PASMO card which is topped up before you travel. The correct fare will be deducted no matter which route you travel, even if two companies are involved.

Hopefully, you will take in the information from a map more efficiently than the information from this one thread.