Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Which side of the escalator do you stand on?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which side of the escalator do you stand on?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2019, 6:54 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Plat,Hilton Diamond,IHG Plat,WOH Glob,Radisson Gold,MGM Gold,Hertz Presidents Circle
Tokyo left, Osaka right.

In Tokyo, especially, people will get pissed off if you don't step aside if not moving up the escalator.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Busymann
Tokyo left, Osaka right.

In Tokyo, especially, people will get pissed off if you don't step aside if not moving up the escalator.
Let them be pissed. Escalators aren't public property; their owners get to set the terms of use.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 11:25 pm
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Let them be pissed. Escalators aren't public property; their owners get to set the terms of use.
Exactly.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 11:28 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Plat,Hilton Diamond,IHG Plat,WOH Glob,Radisson Gold,MGM Gold,Hertz Presidents Circle
I hear ya. Unless there's a "no walking" rule on it tho', I'd be pissed too if someone blocks my path.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 12:36 am
mjm
Original Member

I hear ya. Unless there's a "no walking" rule on it tho', I'd be pissed too if someone blocks my path.
The escalators at Roppongi Hills are explicitly marked in three languages and several very visible symbols for standing only and npo walking. If people get upset when I don't move, they are welcome to be upset. Long steep escalators require a little safety etiquette.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by mjm
The escalators at Roppongi Hills are explicitly marked in three languages and several very visible symbols for standing only and npo walking. If people get upset when I don't move, they are welcome to be upset. Long steep escalators require a little safety etiquette.
Again, I hear ya. I'm not talking about those that are explicitly marked with 3 languages.

Personally, I'd let someone by if they were in a rush. It would be a common courtesy outside of the rules no different than moving aside if I'm driving 55 in a 55 zone on the highway, and someone wants to pass going 60. 55mph is the rule and I could say that the limit is there for safety. I also know that it's not a big a deal to change lanes.

It's just not that serious.

edit: I see some of the earlier responses on the matter. I find there's a difference between pushing/shoving and someone simply walking up the clear side of the escalator.

Walking up one side is pretty common in the DC area and frankly, my short time in Japan had folks reasonably walking up the right side.

Any shoving and I'd be liable to get aggressive back.

Last edited by Busymann; Jul 29, 2019 at 2:00 am
Old Aug 2, 2019, 1:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I have yet to see an escalator in Japan or Taiwan where everyone stood in place without walking up one side. Whatever public relations program is trying to teach people to stop walking, I can say it's definitely not working.
Busymann likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I have yet to see an escalator in Japan or Taiwan where everyone stood in place without walking up one side. Whatever public relations program is trying to teach people to stop walking, I can say it's definitely not working.
When we were in Singapore earlier this summer, people were standing on the left side, and I don’t remember people walking much past us standing. Of course, the escalators there are moving twice as fast as elsewhere, so speedy actually that I’m surprised a seatbelt wasn’t required.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by vanillabean

When we were in Singapore earlier this summer, people were standing on the left side, and I don’t remember people walking much past us standing. Of course, the escalators there are moving twice as fast as elsewhere, so speedy actually that I’m surprised a seatbelt wasn’t required.
Those rocket launchers are so fast, you're at the top or bottom before you have a chance to take a step. My first visit to Singapore years ago almost sent me flying when I didn't prepare for how fast those things move. Well, liability laws ARE different over there.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
I'd like to ride a paternoster before they become extinct.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
I'd like to ride a paternoster before they become extinct.
Get thee to Germany. Quickly.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 5:35 pm

I saw the same thing in my one 2 week visit.

Rules are one thing. Courtesy is another. It's nothing for me to step aside and just....stand there while someone else want to exert their energy to step.

We DO that goody two shoes "well the speed limit says 55" people here in the states. They are the rare @sses that ride in the left lane or better yet, form a team and cover all the lanes so you can't even go 60mph to get past them.

When you drive in the one of the top two worst traffic areas in the nation, this is not cool.

Japan may have one of the busiest train systems in the world. I can step aside.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 12:06 am
mjm
Original Member

I saw the same thing in my one 2 week visit.

Rules are one thing. Courtesy is another. It's nothing for me to step aside and just....stand there while someone else want to exert their energy to step.

We DO that goody two shoes "well the speed limit says 55" people here in the states. They are the rare @sses that ride in the left lane or better yet, form a team and cover all the lanes so you can't even go 60mph to get past them.

When you drive in the one of the top two worst traffic areas in the nation, this is not cool.

Japan may have one of the busiest train systems in the world. I can step aside.
It is not a matter of stepping aside for someone else's convenience which I agree if were the issue would be simple kindness at no cost to yourself.
The issues are twofold. One is one of safety as escalator accidents are increasing with many people walking on them. The other is that riders are encouraged to stand two abreast so that a greater volume of people may be moved at the same time.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by mjm
It is not a matter of stepping aside for someone else's convenience which I agree if were the issue would be simple kindness at no cost to yourself.
The issues are twofold. One is one of safety as escalator accidents are increasing with many people walking on them. The other is that riders are encouraged to stand two abreast so that a greater volume of people may be moved at the same time.
True, but I personally feel it's not my place as a foreigner to be the busy body enforcing JR's new rules that from my observation last week, 95% of people are ignoring. I would just feel strange and uncomfortable doing so. With the temperature in Shinagawa Station feeling about 120, I was perfectly happy to stand on the left and move as little as possible.
Busymann likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 5:38 pm
mjm
Original Member

True, but I personally feel it's not my place as a foreigner to be the busy body enforcing JR's new rules that from my observation last week, 95% of people are ignoring. I would just feel strange and uncomfortable doing so. With the temperature in Shinagawa Station feeling about 120, I was perfectly happy to stand on the left and move as little as possible.
That makes sense yes. I can see why it might feel odd to you. I think the people who do not live here will have a tougher time adjusting than those of us who do live here. And when we work at one of the places trying to enforce these rules, we feel a significant duty to assist the staff standing at the head and base of the escalators asking for cooperation. Time will tell if it sticks, but I hope it does.
hailstorm likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.