FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which side of the escalator do you stand on?
Old Jul 29, 2019, 1:55 am
Busymann

Programs: Bonvoy Plat,Hilton Diamond,IHG Plat,WOH Glob,Radisson Gold,MGM Gold,Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by mjm
The escalators at Roppongi Hills are explicitly marked in three languages and several very visible symbols for standing only and npo walking. If people get upset when I don't move, they are welcome to be upset. Long steep escalators require a little safety etiquette.
Again, I hear ya. I'm not talking about those that are explicitly marked with 3 languages.

Personally, I'd let someone by if they were in a rush. It would be a common courtesy outside of the rules no different than moving aside if I'm driving 55 in a 55 zone on the highway, and someone wants to pass going 60. 55mph is the rule and I could say that the limit is there for safety. I also know that it's not a big a deal to change lanes.

It's just not that serious.

edit: I see some of the earlier responses on the matter. I find there's a difference between pushing/shoving and someone simply walking up the clear side of the escalator.

Walking up one side is pretty common in the DC area and frankly, my short time in Japan had folks reasonably walking up the right side.

Any shoving and I'd be liable to get aggressive back.

Last edited by Busymann; Jul 29, 2019 at 2:00 am