Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Which side of the escalator do you stand on?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which side of the escalator do you stand on?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2019, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by mjm
The other is that riders are encouraged to stand two abreast so that a greater volume of people may be moved at the same time.
Actually the highest volume would be achieved by having both sides of the escalator to be walking. Let's encourage that instead!
Old Aug 4, 2019, 7:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Pickles
Actually the highest volume would be achieved by having both sides of the escalator to be walking. Let's encourage that instead!
The main reason they discourage walking is due to the number of falls and accidents that were occurring.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 8:18 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Plat,Hilton Diamond,IHG Plat,WOH Glob,Radisson Gold,MGM Gold,Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by bocastephen

True, but I personally feel it's not my place as a foreigner to be the busy body enforcing JR's new rules that from my observation last week, 95% of people are ignoring. I would just feel strange and uncomfortable doing so. With the temperature in Shinagawa Station feeling about 120, I was perfectly happy to stand on the left and move as little as possible.
Nailed it.

When I was there, I saw NO ONE standing side by side 100% of the time. I also saw no accidents either.

I read that one of the rules they want enforced also is to have a step between the next person. Well, no one really did that either.

To add to that, if folks change and keep a step in-between yet stand side by side when they didn't previously, you aren't getting more people on the escalator.

I understand this was about safety but someone mentioned more people being transported.

Eh
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:20 am
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Busymann
Nailed it.

When I was there, I saw NO ONE standing side by side 100% of the time. I also saw no accidents either.

I read that one of the rules they want enforced also is to have a step between the next person. Well, no one really did that either.

To add to that, if folks change and keep a step in-between yet stand side by side when they didn't previously, you aren't getting more people on the escalator.

I understand this was about safety but someone mentioned more people being transported.

Eh
Safety and volume of movement. Yes. Much like a double-deck elevator moves more people at the same time. As this is more fully adopted the efficacy will increase. This idea goes against long and widely established behavior so it will take time to get up to speed.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:21 am
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Pickles
Everyone moving would only serve to empty the escalator faster. The same number of people can board in either case.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Busymann
You've also never seen anyone killed by a revolving door. But it happened, and that one incident was enough to forever change how they operate in Japan. Likely resulting of hundreds of thousands of hours of incrementally wasted time since, but for good reason.
mjm likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Deleted

Last edited by jib71; Aug 5, 2019 at 8:19 am
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:16 am

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Bump, as JR has stepped up their efforts as of late. Big posters by the escalator entrances in multiple languages informing of the "proper" use of the escalators, and even the occasional station attendee standing by thr escalators to enforce them.

There's probably a big expanse of inaka between them where few, if any, escalators exist.
Good effort on JR to speed up the change. In general I stand, if someone does say something I remind them of the rules. In Taiwan, I have also people tell me move in different languages (Chinese, then Japanese then English if no response as I look like Japanese as I am (Mixed)) and most cases they just wait. I spend a lot of time in Kaoshiung in southern Taiwan and it seems many people just stand which bothers people/co workers from Taipei a lot.
mjm and hailstorm like this.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Yesterday an ordinance requiring people riding the escalator to stand still on the escalator regardless of which side of it they are on was voted on and approved in the Saitama Prefectural government.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/202...937541000.html

The ordinance goes in effect from October. Regardless, there will still be no penalty imposed for failing to stand still on the escalator.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 12:51 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Yesterday an ordinance requiring people riding the escalator to stand still on the escalator regardless of which side of it they are on was voted on and approved in the Saitama Prefectural government.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/202...937541000.html

The ordinance goes in effect from October. Regardless, there will still be no penalty imposed for failing to stand still on the escalator.
There's an escalator in Saitama. Who knew?
Old Mar 27, 2021, 3:32 am

Programs: Delta
That ordinance will probably be as effective as the ones saying no bicycle riding on sidewalks.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 5:16 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by jib71
There's an escalator in Saitama. Who knew?
Wow. I didn't even know they had electrified the place. Where is Saitama anyway? Tohoku? Or is it farther north?
Old Mar 27, 2021, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by 5khours
Wow. I didn't even know they had electrified the place. Where is Saitama anyway? Tohoku? Or is it farther north?
Hi,
Looks like it is just outside Tokyo ( maybe 30km) ) NNW , on the Tohoku main line.

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 27, 2021, 11:28 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Home of the Saitama Railway Museum (another entry on my ever growing list of places to visit).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail...seum_(Saitama)

Planning a trip to Saitama Railway Museum in June
Old Mar 27, 2021, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,
Looks like it is just outside Tokyo ( maybe 30km) ) NNW , on the Tohoku main line.
Ah. An impressive display of cartographic mastery.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.