Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd
I was at Yamaza Dogenzaka this wknd, here is their current stock:

Yamazaki 12 ¥8880
Hibiki NAS ¥4100
Yamazaki 12 mini ¥780 (limit 5 per person), in contrast Ikebukuro has limit 1 pp.

I think they had Hakushu NAS as well but it wasn't on my radar.

Enjoy
This is crazy... I guess I just had bad luck in December. I was there on Christmas day and they did not have any of those you mentioned above. But I did see some Hakushu NAS for 4100. I did not grab it because I didn't think it's worth that price.
But on the new year's day I did score couple Yamazaki NAS 180ml bottles for Y1140 each at a Lawson store. I guess my luck is turning around and I hope it continues! Will stop by Yamaya again this weekend to see what they offer!
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by james21_h
This is crazy... I guess I just had bad luck in December. I was there on Christmas day and they did not have any of those you mentioned above. But I did see some Hakushu NAS for 4100. I did not grab it because I didn't think it's worth that price.
But on the new year's day I did score couple Yamazaki NAS 180ml bottles for Y1140 each at a Lawson store. I guess my luck is turning around and I hope it continues! Will stop by Yamaya again this weekend to see what they offer!
Did you look behind the counter? That seems to be where they keep all the Suntory stuff nowadays.
It looked like they had just stocked up on Y12, since there was at least a case of bottles and I could see the boxes lying in the back. I really didn't need anymore but grabbed 2 bottles as who knows what will happen this year.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by james21_h
Stopped by today - 2 hours ago - all gone, nothing!
Old Jan 3, 2019, 2:28 am

Did you look behind the counter? That seems to be where they keep all the Suntory stuff nowadays.
It looked like they had just stocked up on Y12, since there was at least a case of bottles and I could see the boxes lying in the back. I really didn't need anymore but grabbed 2 bottles as who knows what will happen this year.
Nothing 2 hours ago....what happened? The guy seemed annoyed as I asked...
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:02 am

Yeah I looked at the shelves behind the counter and saw Hakushu NAS there but no Yamazaki. Oh well, i have 6 bottles at home so I am good for now. Just picked up a couple more mini Yamazaki NAS locally for cheap! I would take Yamazaki NAS over Hakushu NAS all day long!!
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by daizawaguy
Nothing 2 hours ago....what happened? The guy seemed annoyed as I asked...
Wow, that is crazy. I was there on Dec 29 morning. I guess in these markets a week is a long time.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:11 pm

Passed by Yamaya Dogenzaka around 11.30 today - nothing to be seen.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:27 am

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
Wow, that is crazy. I was there on Dec 29 morning. I guess in these markets a week is a long time.
My local supermarket got in 12 bottles each of Yamazaki and Hakushu NAS before xmas and sold out within two days, even at 1 bottle per person limit. The prices were pretty reasonable in the 6000+ yen range.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by groovbusta
My local supermarket got in 12 bottles each of Yamazaki and Hakushu NAS before xmas and sold out within two days, even at 1 bottle per person limit. The prices were pretty reasonable in the 6000+ yen range.
That's pretty steep for Yamazaki NAS. I'd probably opt for a Nikka 12 instead.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:19 am

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
That's pretty steep for Yamazaki NAS. I'd probably opt for a Nikka 12 instead.
Well, it was just surprising to see they got in two cases of Suntory whisky after having been dry for at least 6 months... of course, I don't go to the supermarket everyday, so maybe they've gotten it in before and I just missed it.

The Nikka 12 is still widely available for less than 6000 yen and I do buy that as gifts for overseas family/friends.
invalyd likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:25 am

Saw 4 bottles of Yamazaki NAS (180 ml) at 1140 yen at a local Lawson and grabbed two of them. I might go back to grab the rest since it is pretty hard to be found these days...
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:12 am

Latest Stock round up: Ginza BIG (Dentsu-dori) Hibiki Y4580 (Cheapest I've ever seen), Sake on Sokuhai (Express) All 3 Hibiki NAS versions (7,000, 14,000, 21,000 around, if I recall) as well as 17Y for 39,000. Yamaya and Shinanoya Ginza - no stocks of stuff mentioned on this forum. Rumors though of Sendai Yamaya branches having Yamazaki 12 for Y8,800, but enquiries locally to Ginza and Shibuya get that Japanese reaction with a blank look of denial and non-involvement, followed by a little teeth-sucking. Shimokitazawa Kakuyasu has Hibiki at Y5000, but disappearing fast. Toranomon Hills 3F convenience store (Family Mart) has Yamazaki NAS 180ml bottles. Liquor mountain Ginza (Dentsu-dori) has Yamazaki NAS full bottles for Y6,800. That's about it for todays walk around town...seems stocks getting better than the latter half of last year.
DGibb likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:41 pm

A shame that Suntory has decided to follow in the steps of Kurayoshi with their new 'Ao' blend

https://forbes.com/sites/georgekouts.../#76eeefb5626e
7473chad likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:51 am

Yamazaki 12 is available at Kakuyasu in miniature bottles for Y780 in Bunkyo-ku area. Haven't seen this in Setagaya-ku, but Hibiki is available in this area. Very friendly manager explained its all on a turnover basis, with large stores in areas where there are lots of bars getting the stock primarily. Also confirmed even though they have a delivery system, the in-demand Japanese whisky is only available on a walk-in basis. No Hakushu nor Yamazaki in large bottles though. Nikka Taketsuru available for Yen 3000 - good price for a very underrated whisky IMHO.
invalyd likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 4:11 am

Luck is on my side today. Saw 6 bottles of Hibiki Blender's Choice (Y10,800) and 6 bottles of Ichiro's LE World's Blend (Y9720) at retail in Tokyo station. They must just put them up on the shelf right before my arrival. Grab one each since they limited one per person. Ichiro's was gone in 1 hour and Hibiki is probably all sold out now. I never had good luck hunting on the weekends! This is the first!!
invalyd likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.