Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2022, 5:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by james21_h
To be honest I didn't like the Harmony when it was first released for like Y3500. I tried it at several occasions and drank one bottle myself and I just didn't care for it. Ever since I didn't bother to chase down more bottles. I like the NIkka 12 way better than Hibiki Harmony. I guess I need to try the recent batch!
Yeah I've never really been a fan. Have not tried recent batch, but imho all recent Suntory releases since 2021 have been less than stellar. Tried the Mizunara 2022 recently and it was also disappointing.
Blender's Choice is still the best daily drinker for me and relatively easy to find for MSRP.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by james21_h
To be honest I didn't like the Harmony when it was first released for like Y3500. I tried it at several occasions and drank one bottle myself and I just didn't care for it. Ever since I didn't bother to chase down more bottles. I like the NIkka 12 way better than Hibiki Harmony. I guess I need to try the recent batch!
nikka 12 or nikka pure malt 12, now discontinued.
And yah. There is franky a lot of stuff I'd drink from Scotland before Harmony.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 9:47 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by invalyd
Yeah I've never really been a fan. Have not tried recent batch, but imho all recent Suntory releases since 2021 have been less than stellar. Tried the Mizunara 2022 recently and it was also disappointing.
Blender's Choice is still the best daily drinker for me and relatively easy to find for MSRP.
The same local shop that had BC for MSRP a year ago is now selling them for ¥18,000.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 10:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JapanFlyerT
The same local shop that had BC for MSRP a year ago is now selling them for ¥18,000.
Well the retail price did also go up about 20% but it is still fairly easy to find at 12-14k
Old Oct 31, 2022, 6:07 am

Programs: CX Gold
The arrival duty free at Narita is still closed on Oct. 23. You can still pickup Suntory 18 and Yamazaki 21 for Y50,000 if it is available at Narita duty free. I pickup a bottle at 16:00 but it sold out very quickly. The duty free is limited to 1 bottle per person.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 10:39 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
PSA: if you have a late departure from HND, check the operating hours of the shops. I was surprised that all of the shops in T3, both duty free and otherwise, close by 9 PM, even though there are plenty of flights departing in the 11 PM to 2 AM time frame and the terminal is still quite crowded at that time.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 2:44 am

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
I know its been out of stock for sometime, but in the past you might catch the 0.00000001% off chance if you're lucky enough.

But Yamazaki's website now says this:

【Notice of the suspension sales for Yamazaki whisky at our shop】

For the time being, the sale of “the single malt whisky Yamazaki(700ml)” and “the single malt whisky Yamazaki distillery limited” would be suspended from September 1st.
Anyone managed to grab a bottle since Sep?
Old Nov 5, 2022, 10:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AS MVP Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Whiskey suggestions

More of a wine drinker here but would like to try some nice Japanese Whiskeys, any recommendations for something good around 100-200 ish USD and relatively easier to secure for general stores/HND?
Usually we get couple bottles of Dassai 23 sake which is almost half cheaper compare to US.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by JordanWalker
I know its been out of stock for sometime, but in the past you might catch the 0.00000001% off chance if you're lucky enough.

But Yamazaki's website now says this:

Anyone managed to grab a bottle since Sep?
Oh no. There is one last bottle of Yamazaki in Ginza though - first come first served.

vg247, lax01, Parterre and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 2:52 am

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Originally Posted by daizawaguy
Oh no. There is one last bottle of Yamazaki in Ginza though - first come first served.
Bummer, was looking for at least 1-2 cases so I can give them out as stocking stuffers this year.
Parterre likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 4:22 pm

Went to the distillery two weeks ago. The only full bottles they have available for sale are just stuff you can buy elsewhere like Ao and whatever American companies they bought out.

They did have the regular Yamazaki single malt whisky in 180 mL sizes packaged with some glassware, but at a limit of two per person.
JapanFlyerT and JordanWalker like this.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd
​​​​​​
I think many would argue the standard NAS tastes better than Blossom. Watching the market prices on these from last year to now is a reflection of one of two things: there's either an absurd amount of Blossom Harmony bottles floating around, or it tastes like crap (maybe a bit of both).
My local Donki had Blossom Harmony 2021 yesterday for ¥43,890 (tax incl). I seem to remember it going for a lot more than that when it came out.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 8:20 pm

First international flight in 3 years coming up next month.
10am on JAL from NRT.
Searching the airport website, it looks like there are three potential options. Fasola, JAL main and JAL satellite.
Is that it, or am I missing something?
Old Nov 7, 2022, 2:21 am

Osaka kansai airport

Hi all. Will travel to Osaka another 2 weeks time. May I know how many duty free shop over there at Osaka airport? Want to try luck on the limited edition yamazaki, hakushu & hibiki. 😊
Old Nov 8, 2022, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
Haneda airport this week - signs said all sold out for Hakashu 18 Yama 18 etc. Asked politely and also told none in back and no stock had come in that morning nor the prior morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.