Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2023, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd
1000% markup over MSRP is a pretty good price?
You are crazy...
yah. The ftx management might have splurged on stuff like that. ;-)
Old Jan 12, 2023, 5:11 pm

Programs: JAL JGC Premier, UA Gold
MSRP is generally a fantasy price with rare whisky these days. The price you see there is what the stuff will actually cost you right now and I’ve seen it for a lot more. A liquor store not far from where I live in LA is selling that same bottle for $24k
Topcare likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 5:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by vindor
MSRP is generally a fantasy price with rare whisky these days. The price you see there is what the stuff will actually cost you right now and I’ve seen it for a lot more. A liquor store not far from where I live in LA is selling that same bottle for $24k
I paid 250k just a few weeks back. As they say there's a sucker born every minute.

Last edited by invalyd; Jan 12, 2023 at 5:27 pm
Old Jan 12, 2023, 5:24 pm

Looks like you paid that because you were able to get one in duty free. I’ve done the same myself. But if you’re looking for a bottle and want to make sure you go home with one, it’s $10k.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 5:31 pm

If you’re looking for a bottle and want to make sure you go home with one, it’s $10k.
Sure, whatever helps you sleep better at night
Old Jan 12, 2023, 5:35 pm

Sure, whatever helps you sleep better at night
There’s really no need for a contentious conversation here. Someone wants an expensive bottle of whiskey, presumably knowing the price, and wants to know where to find one. I hope we were able to provide a little good info.
daizawaguy and Topcare like this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 5:41 pm

There’s really no need for a contentious conversation here. Someone wants an expensive bottle of whiskey, presumably knowing the price, and wants to know where to find one. I hope we were able to provide a little good info.
Nothing contentious about it. Not everyone needs to agree with your opinion of a "pretty good price".
Old Jan 12, 2023, 6:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, QFF WP, Velocity Gold
Thank you for the information! I'll report back if I get something!
Old Jan 13, 2023, 8:27 am

Random and slightly off topic - but what's the best place to actually taste some fine whiskys in Tokyo?

I heard about
and plan to stop by there...anywhere I must go?
Old Jan 13, 2023, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by lax01
Random and slightly off topic - but what's the best place to actually taste some fine whiskys in Tokyo?

I heard about Shinjuku Whisky Salon and plan to stop by there...anywhere I must go?
There are dozens but some of the most famous are: Shimaji, Zoetrope, Aloha Whisky, Js Bar, Tokyo Whisky Library, Ken's Jazz, Kage, Bar Lien etc. If you take a short train to Saitama the list grows even longer.
lax01, bowzer91 and Parterre like this.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 12:15 pm

There are dozens but some of the most famous are: Shimaji, Zoetrope, Aloha Whisky, Js Bar, Tokyo Whisky Library, Ken's Jazz, Kage, Bar Lien etc. If you take a short train to Saitama the list grows even longer.
Thanks - had a few of those on the list already - any favorites or must-do?
Old Jan 13, 2023, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
As invalyd has posted Tokyo Whisky Library (website in Japanese only) has 1300 different whiskies in stock. Another place I know is WhiskeySTAND (Twitter site in Japanese only) has 400 plus different whiskies and can order by half a shot so good for tasting different whiskies. However, if you do not speak Japanese I do not know how well you will able to communicate your preferences. But that is part of the fun, isn't it?

P.S. The menu at Tokyo Whisky Library (PDF file) is in English also. Looks like the most expensive item is Nikka Whisky's Miyagikyo 2019 Limited Edition and Yoichi 2019 Limited Edition. The shot (30 mL, 1 oz.) of those will cost you 96800 yen (US$ 757.00) each taxes included.
lax01 likes this.

Last edited by AlwaysAisle; Jan 13, 2023 at 12:58 pm
Old Jan 13, 2023, 3:40 pm

Just expect the guy at Zoetrope to be a dick and anorgant as crap. But yah. Order a few and drink and leave BUT don't expect a shard of hospitality unless you happen to be a cinematography PhD student to put the self professed expert in his place.
lax01 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
As invalyd has posted Tokyo Whisky Library (website in Japanese only) has 1300 different whiskies in stock. Another place I know is WhiskeySTAND (Twitter site in Japanese only) has 400 plus different whiskies and can order by half a shot so good for tasting different whiskies. However, if you do not speak Japanese I do not know how well you will able to communicate your preferences. But that is part of the fun, isn't it?

P.S. The menu at Tokyo Whisky Library (PDF file) is in English also. Looks like the most expensive item is Nikka Whisky's Miyagikyo 2019 Limited Edition and Yoichi 2019 Limited Edition. The shot (30 mL, 1 oz.) of those will cost you 96800 yen (US$ 757.00) each taxes included.
Appreciate it!
Old Jan 16, 2023, 11:38 am

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, AC SE
Has anyone looked in the duty frees at Narita for non-japanese whiskeys? I was trying to buy a signet through the pre-order but they emailed back and said it was out of stock.

I trust that their online systems may show out of stock, but wondering what it actually looks like at the airport?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.