Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2022, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by james21_h
At Narita terminal 2. So few shops are open…. Bought a bottle Hibiki 21 and miyagikyo grande. With exchange rate this good I don’t mind spending ¥10000 to try out that miyagikyo.
Hi James, how's the miyagiko? Will be transiting through soon, wondering what else to pick up.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by miuk
Hi James, how's the miyagiko? Will be transiting through soon, wondering what else to pick up.
Haven't opened it yet. I actually gifted it to my friend and I told her to open it up when I visit again later this week. Will post some tasting notes here.
I did end up buying the Yoichi Grande at the last minute before I boarded my flight. Haven't opened it either but I am planning on keeping that one and drink it myself!
miuk likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 2:19 pm

Just a quick update. One of my coworkers flew out last Sunday and scored a bottle of Hibiki 21 at terminal 2 of Narita. He said all three suntory products were available when we went through around 1600.
ccna101 and Topcare like this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by AndyYamazaki
What a lineup! I really envy that! I’ve been hunting years for these unsuccessfully.

I live in Japan and regularly go hunting for bottles but it really seems like the airport is the best bet for people visiting. That and the distilleries for tastings. Most shops are selling the more rare bottles at prices matching what you can find online now. The only exceptions being department stores and maybe some mom and pop stores but most of them have moved to lottery systems.
I picked up some regular yoichi and miyagikyo at a local liquor store in Southern Osaka and at a DOnki in TOkyo on my visit last month. ¥4600 or so.

At a donki in Kyoto I saw:
Hakushu 12: ¥29,900
Kurayoshi 8: ¥8,789
Hibiki blossom harmony 2022: ¥43,780
Hibiki Japanese harmony: ¥12,900
Kurayoshi 18: ¥17,800 (Haven't had this, any comments on kurayoshi?)
Yamazaki: ¥12,900 (no age statement)

I was going to pick up a bottle but I was late for an appointment and never made it back.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 5:53 pm

Kurayoshi is fake whiskey. Well, it is Scottish not Japanese.

This sadly, keeps getting longer with more fakes but always good to consult

https://www.nomunication.jp/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/nomunication-realvsfake-20200407.png

Last edited by Topcare; Jul 25, 2022 at 6:08 pm
Old Jul 25, 2022, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Topcare
Kurayoshi is fake whiskey. Well, it is Scottish not Japanese.
Granted, “Aged 3 Years” is nothing to brag about but it’s how lots of wine and spirits producers in Japan started out. Import foreign wine and whisky and mix with local stuff. Establish a sound financial footing. Then, after ensuring that you won’t go bankrupt, gradually get into genuine Japan-only ingredients. It’s called “business”.

I’m off to Yamaya now to buy some Kurayoshi, and I will recommend it to anyone who will listen. At the end of the day, it’s all about the EFFECT OF THE ETHYL ALCOHOL. All else is frippery.

I’ve been to Japanese drinking parties (estimate - over 200) and I once brought up a local winery’s habit of hiding the fact that their wines were mostly local plonk blended with imported Spanish rot-gut. My stating the obvious was not well-received. You people should learn the virtues of modesty and discretion.

Artisanal chocolate manufacturers in the US do the same. And their chocolate tastes terrible!
Old Jul 26, 2022, 4:55 pm

Not looking good this morning, nothing at JAL Duty Free.
Also theres now a Limit 1 on the Nikka Yoichi
Attached Images   
Old Jul 26, 2022, 8:48 pm

Looks like a change in release pattern, prob due to the early morning crowding.
At 11am went out from the lounge to go looking again and this time, Fasola had Yama18 and JAL had Hibiki21.
invalyd, james21_h and Topcare like this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 11:21 am

At 11am went out from the lounge to go looking again and this time, Fasola had Yama18 and JAL had Hibiki21.
Wonder if staff waiving you off had perhaps meant the stash he set aside for the regulars lined up were perhaps delayed a little.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 4:27 pm

Wonder if staff waiving you off had perhaps meant the stash he set aside for the regulars lined up were perhaps delayed a little.
Not sure, but the air crew that were queuing up all left and so did the early wave of departures that were swarming the place.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 5:13 pm

Not sure, but the air crew that were queuing up all left and so did the early wave of departures that were swarming the place.
photo just seems odd to me. Almost as if you caught the kids with their hand in the cookie jar. :-)
Old Jul 27, 2022, 5:51 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Or "Don't take our picture because someone in the company will bust us (or ask for a cut) for having a nice side business of importing/reselling duty free"
Q Shoe Guy and Topcare like this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 7:02 pm

That makes sense because me and my coworkers all flew out in the afternoon around 1500-1600 and they had all three Suntory products available! I bet they were anticipating people queuing up early morning expecting bottles. That's good, no more early bird special!!
Old Jul 27, 2022, 7:04 pm

They look like they are the crew from Vietnam airline or some south east Asian airline!! Not JAL for sure basing on their hair style haha!!
Old Jul 28, 2022, 12:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by james21_h
That makes sense because me and my coworkers all flew out in the afternoon around 1500-1600 and they had all three Suntory products available! I bet they were anticipating people queuing up early morning expecting bottles. That's good, no more early bird special!!
IME it is entirely random between terminals and times they load the stock. One time the employee even pulled some bottles magically out of the back despite being sold out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.