Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Self-driving in Japan - advice?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2014, 5:03 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
Why would someone carry a Japanese license and an IDP in Japan? If you show an IDP you have to show another license with it. The IDP is simply a translation. Realistically, if you get pulled over in Japan you're going to have to show a passport and/or ARC as well.
Absolutely not true. I've been stopped a dozen times, flashed the IDP and never been asked for another license, passport or ARC.

And... as I pointed out in my earlier post, the IDP is not a translation.

Originally Posted by Pickles
Let me get this straight. You lived in Japan for 3 years (in Shoto, no less) had a Maserati or some other penis replacement machine you regularly drove back and forth from the airport at high speeds, and you were not a "resident"? What were you then?
I've been tagged twice between NRT and Tokyo (once at 160) and they just waved me on after I showed the IDP.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 5:31 am
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by 5khours
Absolutely not true. I've been stopped a dozen times, flashed the IDP and never been asked for another license, passport or ARC.

And... as I pointed out in my earlier post, the IDP is not a translation.

I've been tagged twice between NRT and Tokyo (once at 160) and they just waved me on after I showed the IDP.
5khours: "Want a lift, mjm?"

mjm: "Nah, I'm good."

Old Jul 6, 2014, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by mjm
5khours: "Want a lift, mjm?"

mjm: "Nah, I'm good."

I'm an excellent driver.

I mean really. Precise compliance with the arcane details of traffic regulation is less of a concern when you have a get out of jail free (IDP) card.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz Platinum
Why would someone carry a Japanese license and an IDP in Japan? If you show an IDP you have to show another license with it.
Even though others have reported not being required to show it, the IDP is required to be accompanied by the underlying license in order to make it valid. Let's say you have a US driver license, an IDP, live in Japan, and have a Japanese driver license. Why would you carry IDP, US license, and Japanese license? Well, if you get a ticket, wouldn't it be nice to have that written against the US license and not show up on your Japanese driver record? And this is assuming the officer doesn't decide it's too much effort and just lets you go.

But this gets into sketchy territory. If you have been in Japan more than a year, then the IDP is not a valid license to drive in Japan. Depending on the thoroughness of the officer, he may or may not figure this out (such as if he asks for your passport or ARC and figures out you've been there more than a year). At that point, he might try to get you for driving without a license, at which point of course you'd produce your Japanese license. That would get you out of the driving without a license charge, but you'd also probably have one pissed off officer, as it would be obvious from the chain of events what you were trying to do, and I doubt that feigning ignorance or a language barrier would overcome that perception.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 4:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by Steve M
Even though others have reported not being required to show it, the IDP is required to be accompanied by the underlying license in order to make it valid. Let's say you have a US driver license, an IDP, live in Japan, and have a Japanese driver license. Why would you carry IDP, US license, and Japanese license? Well, if you get a ticket, wouldn't it be nice to have that written against the US license and not show up on your Japanese driver record? And this is assuming the officer doesn't decide it's too much effort and just lets you go.

But this gets into sketchy territory. If you have been in Japan more than a year, then the IDP is not a valid license to drive in Japan. Depending on the thoroughness of the officer, he may or may not figure this out (such as if he asks for your passport or ARC and figures out you've been there more than a year). At that point, he might try to get you for driving without a license, at which point of course you'd produce your Japanese license. That would get you out of the driving without a license charge, but you'd also probably have one pissed off officer, as it would be obvious from the chain of events what you were trying to do, and I doubt that feigning ignorance or a language barrier would overcome that perception
That.

I've never quite understood why so many people set out to create problems for themselves by playing the system in Japan. Yes, it all goes along swimmingly. Until it doesn't. And then they whine (& whine) about how poor, mean Japan came down on them.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by gnaget
Nope. Not in practice. Similarly, when you rent a car they never ask for the real license.

The famous case of "illegal IDP use" is the Softbank actor, but I am sure that his being black contributed to his getting the book thrown in his direction.
His being famous & foreign might, but IMO his being black is unlikely to have had much effect. I've always appreciated the way Japan applies a simple "Japan vs Everyone Not Japan" bigotry. It's so refreshing after all the race based bigotry in the US and EU.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 7:09 pm

That.

I've never quite understood why so many people set out to create problems for themselves by playing the system in Japan. Yes, it all goes along swimmingly. Until it doesn't. And then they whine (& whine) about how poor, mean Japan came down on them.
Why is it creating a problem to do something perfectly legal which basically allows you to avoid fines and points for minor traffic violations?

And who is whining?

And when doesn't it going swimmingly?
Old Jul 7, 2014, 12:20 am

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by Pickles
Let me get this straight. You lived in Japan for 3 years (in Shoto, no less) had a Maserati or some other penis replacement machine you regularly drove back and forth from the airport at high speeds, and you were not a "resident"? What were you then?

Or were you one of these?
You constantly confuse me with 5K. I was an embarrassment to my neighborhood owning a Japanese car. Maseratis are probably more common than Nissans in my old neighborhood. One neighbor had a Bentley, Mercedes McLaren SLR and then a Cayenne Turbo for errands. Another had two Maybachs.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by gnaget
You constantly confuse me with 5K. I was an embarrassment to my neighborhood owning a Japanese car. Maseratis are probably more common than Nissans in my old neighborhood. One neighbor had a Bentley, Mercedes McLaren SLR and then a Cayenne Turbo for errands. Another had two Maybachs.
I don't even own a car. (I just lease a couple of Veyrons.)
Old Aug 10, 2015, 3:35 pm
swy

Programs: Greyhound Vermillion Mithril
I am not 100% if this should be asked here or in the Chase forum... mods please move it if this is the wrong place.

I have the Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card, which offers primary Collision Damage Waiver coverage (and for foreign countries too). If I rent a car in Japan, can/should I decline all the insurance options?

For example, Nissan Rentacar have 3 options:
* Collision Damage Waiver Plan
* Nissan Anshin Support (NAS) plan
* NOC Support plan

I am US-based, have a car in the US, and plan on getting an international driving permit. Thanks.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 6:24 pm

I have Chase UA Explorer Card so, like you, I have primary rental car coverage abroad. Despite that, I decided to purchase insurance from the rental car company on my recent rental from Eki Rent a Car in Jpn. The reason was that, the more I talked to the rental car rep, the more I realised how different the set of responsibilities are btwn car rental in Jpn and in US. For instance, you will be held liable for even a tiny dent on a bumper. Also, the rental car company's optional coverage actually had quite a high deductible and there's a second optional coverage you had to purchase just to waive the deductible. I got nervous about all the differences and decided to just purchase coverage from Eki Rent a Car. I'm not sure if that was the right thing to do. I am a complete novice when it comes to car rental in Jpn, but that's what I did. Hopefully others with more experience will chime in, but I do encourage you to talk to Chase directly and make sure you understand all the details.

Also, there's no roadside assistance and you're responsible for tow trucks if something happens. If the car gets a flat (and cars at Eki Rent did not come with spares), then I was told I'd have to pay for the tow truck and the flat repair.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 10:08 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Toyota and a most other companies have non-waiveable NOC (non-operation charge) of 20k or 50k. Some (such as Sky) do offer zero NOC as an option).

"In the event of an accident, theft or defacement of a vehicle, and it needs to be repaired and/or cleaned, the following fee will be charged as part of compensation for lost business during the time of such repairs/cleaning"

You cannot buy any coverage from the rental company to eliminate this deductible amount. Credit card insurance (at least Canadian AMEX/Visa/MC) does cover this - "Loss of Use".

On the other hand, the rental company's "Deductible Compensation" also includes zero deductible for liability. Without it, deductible is 50K + 50K. This is usually not covered by credit card insurance.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 11:48 pm

Want to link to this very useful post by OliverB in another thread that's very relevant to this discussion.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 4:35 am

Programs: BA
Anyone have recommendations on who to rent from in Tokyo?
I will be driving from Tokyo to Kyoto, stopping along some small cities/towns on the way.

I will be staying at the GH in Tokyo and HR in Kyoto.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 5:54 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by hakzai
I will be driving from Tokyo to Kyoto, stopping along some small cities/towns on the way.
Which cities and towns do you want to stop at? And how long are you allowing for the drive?

Most traffic between these two cities follows the expressway along the pacific coast, which is rather boring and doesn't take you through cities that are particularly interesting from a touristic point of view. If you're intending to do it at a very leisurely pace, you might take a back roads route through Nagano and Gifu that could be enjoyable, I guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.