Wiki Posts
Search

No luggage lockers at Tokyo station

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2014, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

No luggage lockers at Tokyo station

Just on my way to Sendai now but the increased security measures mean that there have been no lockers nor vending machine drinks and ice creams at Tokyo station for a few days now.

I understand that this is ongoing whilst Obama is in town.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 5:06 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by LapLap
... nor vending machine drinks ...
No lockers is not surprising but no drink vending machines in Tokyo Station is positively unnatural.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
JR said closing of coin lockers and vending machines was at only at major stations, 10 plus JR stations in Tokyo area are affected by this. Other railway companies said total of 30 plus stations in Tokyo are subject to such security measures. Expressway was hit hard. First night of Obamas arrival pretty much most of expressway inside of loop line and Haneda line were closed up to one hour, additions to selected surface roads closed especially around Ginza and Toranomon area where Obama has stayed. Officials even strongly discouraged to drive such area and take public transportation.

Looks like they are taking no chances
Old Apr 23, 2014, 9:36 pm

I'm glad that I left before Obama arrived... where is he staying?
Old Apr 23, 2014, 9:47 pm

Programs: NH Plat
Originally Posted by SQ319
I'm glad that I left before Obama arrived... where is he staying?
Akasaka Palace maybe? Or is that only for visiting Royalty?

No lockers at the main stations must be a pain. We've also seen (and heard) a big increase into number of F-15s flying over in the past few days, wonder if it's related to the visit.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 6:34 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Media is saying that Obama is staying at Hotel Okura. Which make sense since Hotel Okura is stone's throw away from the U.S. Embassy of Tokyo.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 8:10 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Media is saying that Obama is staying at Hotel Okura. Which make sense since Hotel Okura is stone's throw away from the U.S. Embassy of Tokyo.
Kind of risky to be in the same building as the SPECTRE headquarters, though.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by jib71
Kind of risky to be in the same building as the SPECTRE headquarters, though.
I think you are terribly confused. SPECTRE headquarters in Japan were at the New Otani: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdW4fWj0lgM

http://jamesbond.wikia.com/wiki/Osato
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by pickles
i think you are terribly confused.
(@_`@)
Old Apr 25, 2014, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Heard in passing that Obama was taken out for sushi at one of the more famous joints (Sukiyabashi Jiro).

Can't imagine that this option was even on the cards for when Bush junior visited. Quite a world away from Gonpachi Nishi-Azabu.

Yesterday I had the gourmet lunch to beat all gourmet lunches at Sokanzan, Ozawaidara, so no envy from me. Don't try and show up there on a weekend without a reservation.
http://www.jalan.net/kankou/040000/0...588/kuchikomi/
Old Apr 25, 2014, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
The Hotel Okura apparently still has the best security arrangements of any hotel in Tokyo. Every president since Nixon has stayed there.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 12:03 am

Even when Obama's not in town, sometimes there're no lockers available in Tokyo Station. Sometime you can't find a single empty locker and there's a bunch of other folks walking around looking also, and then the line for the storage service is a mile long.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
In other Tokyo Station news, they've recently removed almost all of the payphones. There used to be a row of about 15 payphones by the Marunouchi Underground Central exit; now there are two.

Of course, I never see anybody using even those two, but there were huge lines for the 15 when the cell phone network was down during 311. I imagine it would be damned near impossible to get in touch with someone if the same thing were to happen again.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by hailstorm
I imagine it would be damned near impossible to get in touch with someone if the same thing were to happen again.
And it certainly will...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.