Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
When posting a question, please be sure to list the following information:
  • The airport(s) at which you are transiting
  • The airline on which you are arriving
  • The airline on which you are departing
  • Your connection time in hours/minutes
  • How you are connecting, whether international to international (Int-Int), international to domestic (Int-Dom), domestic to international (Dom-Int), or domestic to domestic (Dom-Dom)
  • Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets

Print Wikipost

The "Help! I have a connection in Japan!" Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2018, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by Sizook
Hello, we will be arriving NRT on MH at 7:15 am
departing HND on JAL 7:25 pm in J
We will have a 12 hour layover. I have read some confusing options.
We have two roller carry on bags and two medium size roller luggage.

1. We want to see the typical downtown Tokyo. Grab some sushi.
Where do we go?
how do we get there.? I have read take the express train to Tokyo station or shinagwa and find a locker.
Or keisei line to Asakusa??

I have read Shibuya and Shinjuku are options. Do you recommend?

2. How do I get to HND from town? How much time do I need? I have lounge acces so don't mind relaxing there before the flight considering I've been flying since the night before.

Appreciate any help. Will arrive Friday.
Start by reading previous posts in this thread.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Hello, we will be arriving NRT on MH at 7:15 am
departing HND on JAL 7:25 pm in J
We will have a 12 hour layover. I have read some confusing options.
We have two roller carry on bags and two medium size roller luggage.

1. We want to see the typical downtown Tokyo. Grab some sushi.
Where do we go?
IMO Tokyo is too big and varied to have any set "typical" that is independent of the viewer. Aside from wanting some sushi, what else you'd like to see determines your plan and we can't pick that for you. https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2164.html is a decent summary of interesting tourist sites in Tokyo.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 7:05 am

Ok, I am wondering if I have time to see Shinjuku, Shibuya and harajuku. If so, wich one can I reach first from NRT using the express train? And do I leave my luggage in the locker there? And when I get back to pick up my bags and head to HND, do I take the monorail? I know I can take the metro between each of those areas. But wich one do I leave my bags in for an easy return to the airport.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
I think you can visit all three, but giving all three a thorough visit plus lunch might be tough. I would advise to prioritize them.

I don't have advice on a place for sushi lunch, just not my thing. hopefully one of the regulars can chime in.

I am not certain, but I believe Shinjuku will be the first of those three that you reach from NRT. There are also limo buses from NRT to Shinjuku station and that might be a better option for you given that you have luggage. There are lots of lockers at Shinjuku but most are not large enough to hold large rolling checked luggage, which I think you have. There are some that are. There may be a checked luggage counter there, but I am not sure.

Getting to HND from Shinjuku - you can take the monorail or the regular train. I'm sorry but I don't remember the line name offhand. I'd be deferring to more expert folks but time is tight for you now. I believe that from Shinjuku you'll have to change trains. Probably easiest is Yamanote to Shinagawa, then change to the Keikyu line there. Or, take a limo bus from Shinjuku which will relieve you of the trouble of luggage.

Please do not rely on anything I've said above as certain truth. I'm going on memory and I'm fuzzy, but I think your time is running short based on OP. Use this as seed for your own further searching. Good luck.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: UA, NW
Ok, I am wondering if I have time to see Shinjuku, Shibuya and harajuku. If so, wich one can I reach first from NRT using the express train? And do I leave my luggage in the locker there? And when I get back to pick up my bags and head to HND, do I take the monorail? I know I can take the metro between each of those areas. But wich one do I leave my bags in for an easy return to the airport.
Shinjuku, Harajuku, and Shibuya are all on the Yamanote commuter train line (silver trains with green stripes) and are literally minutes apart, so seeing all three in one day is feasible. However, while Harajuku is small and manageable and contains the entrance to Meiji Shrine and the park in which it stands, which makes for a pleasant stop between flights, both Shinjuku and Shibuya are large and chaotic and easy to get lost in. They are two of the five or six major "downtowns" that Tokyo has, so I would suggest choosing one or the other. It's not that you can't see both in one day--you can--but if you're between flights, you probably want to minimize the chaos you experience.

Look up both Shibuya and Shinjuku and see which one appeals to you more. Either one will offer more sushi restaurants than you can imagine. If you want to find a selection of restaurants without walking around a lot, go into a department store and take the elevator to its restaurant floor (or two restaurant floors, as some department stores have). These restaurants are reasonably priced (¥1000-1500 for a meal), tend to specialize in one kind of food, and have either picture menus or display windows with plastic models of the food. Since there is no tipping in Japan, and consumption tax is rolled into the price, what you see on the menu is exactly what you pay.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 4:27 pm

I'm so great full for everyone's help. Just landed I feel more prepared now. What station do I get off of the express train from narita to store my luagge? And do I just catch a train from there to these sites? On the way back when I pick up my bags, is there a train at that same station to take me to Haneda or do I have to go with my luggage to yet another stop to head to HND?
Old Jan 4, 2018, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I'm so great full for everyone's help. Just landed I feel more prepared now. What station do I get off of the express train from narita to store my luagge? And do I just catch a train from there to these sites? On the way back when I pick up my bags, is there a train at that same station to take me to Haneda or do I have to go with my luggage to yet another stop to head to HND?
I would take the NEX to Shinagawa, store luggage there. Take the Yamanote line to Shibuya, Harajuku, and Shinjuku. I would probably not do all 3 as you risk running out of time. While very different, Shibuya and Shinjuku is probably more the same city scape. So pick either plus Harajuku. In Shibuya, there is an excellent kaiten sushi on Meiji Dorii to the south of the station right hand side.. Before you come to a green pedestrian bridge by the new south exit. You can also use new South exit walking north on Meiji Dorii (Meiji Street) left hand side. Or sushi zanmai right where Meiji Dorii comes up to the station from the south. Opposite side of the station.
ksandness likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
From Shinagawa, take the Keikyu express train to Haneda.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 4:48 pm

Transfer Time Needed at Narita - Nervous tourists

New international traveler, and a little nervous about a connection...We will be flying from Hiroshima to Narita on Thursday, March 29 to catch a flight back to New York. Our Flight from HIJ to NRT is on ANA and arrives at 4:00pm. Our flight from NRT to JFK is on JAL and departs at 6:30p. There are two of us, both with checked baggage. It appears we will arrive at a different terminal than we depart from, and I imagine ANA will not be able to check our bags through to NYC, so that means we will have to get our checked luggage and go through security/immigration at NRT. Is 2.5 hours enough time to claim bags, transfer terminals, and process through security? If not, our only other option on ANA (which will likely incur a significant change fee) is fly into HND, arriving around lunchtime, then taking a bus or train to NRT. Not sure if it matters, but we are flying biz on JAL (economy on ANA). I appreciate any guidance.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by oigsq
New international traveler, and a little nervous about a connection...We will be flying from Hiroshima to Narita on Thursday, March 29 to catch a flight back to New York. Our Flight from HIJ to NRT is on ANA and arrives at 4:00pm. Our flight from NRT to JFK is on JAL and departs at 6:30p. There are two of us, both with checked baggage. It appears we will arrive at a different terminal than we depart from, and I imagine ANA will not be able to check our bags through to NYC, so that means we will have to get our checked luggage and go through security/immigration at NRT. Is 2.5 hours enough time to claim bags, transfer terminals, and process through security? If not, our only other option on ANA (which will likely incur a significant change fee) is fly into HND, arriving around lunchtime, then taking a bus or train to NRT. Not sure if it matters, but we are flying biz on JAL (economy on ANA). I appreciate any guidance.
I've a feeling this is getting moved to the master thread.

Anyways, I would say this is a transfer that's doable as long as you have 1hr45min, maybe even less. So you have ~45min margin, and your domestic flight would have to be very delayed in order to jeopardize your chances. Of course there's also the possibility that flight times change. I presume these are on separate tickets, so this is the chance you take. But I'd say you're >90% safe.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:03 pm

You'll arrive at Terminal 1 and depart from Terminal 2 at NRT. There is a free shuttle between the 2 terminals at every 10 minutes interval. Your connection will be fine, unless there is a significant delay or a change in flight time.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by jib71
If you have a valid US passport, you will be allowed to enter the country with a temporary visitor status (90 days). You don't need to apply for anything in advance. When you complete the immigration form, just put the details of your outbound flight instead of an address in Japan. (Carry a printed copy of your flight reservation just in case).
Sorry to dig up an old post, this is the only hit I got from a search. I have a long day layover at HND and was wondering about "Intended Address in Japan" part of the arrival forms. How best to fill out this part? US passport.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by radiowell
Sorry to dig up an old post, this is the only hit I got from a search. I have a long day layover at HND and was wondering about "Intended Address in Japan" part of the arrival forms. How best to fill out this part? US passport.
I would just write X hour transit to [flight number]
Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I would just write X hour transit to [flight number]
Thank you.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 4:22 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus - Blue / Emirates Skywards - Blue
If this is booked as a separate ticket then yes you should be 90%+ safe unless there is a serious delay to the Hiroshima flight. Unless there are serious irregular OPS eg Typhoon's Japanese domestic flights are very punctual (and no it's not typhoon season!)

However I note there are no Hiroshima to Narita domestics so was wondering if this was booked on one ticket or not ?. If it's booked on one single ticket by a travel agent deliberately eg same PNR and the flights appear one after the other then you should be able to go to ANA's International Check In desk at Hiroshima and they should be able to through check your bags for you (you might need to get your boarding pass at Narita from JAL's transfer desk) but this is ONLY if it's on the same PNR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.