Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Individual JR Tickets (Not Rail Pass!) - anyway to purchase online??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Individual JR Tickets (Not Rail Pass!) - anyway to purchase online??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by jaybert
Where can I find prices for individual train tickets? Trying to decide if it is worth getting a rail pass vs purchasing individual tickets. We are probably doing 2 or 3 day trips to: Yokohama, hakone, and maybe 1 more place
If you are staying in Tokyo and only taking a few short day trips, the JR Rail Pass will most certainly NOT save you money over just buying tickets as you go. The rule of thumb is "at least one round-trip Tokyo-Kyoto plus some additional rail travel." If you will not be doing any shinkansen (bullet train) travel, I wouldn't even consider it.

All the same, you should have Hyperdia bookmarked for any Japan travel.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
If you are staying in Tokyo and only taking a few short day trips, the JR Rail Pass will most certainly NOT save you money over just buying tickets as you go. The rule of thumb is "at least one round-trip Tokyo-Kyoto plus some additional rail travel." If you will not be doing any shinkansen (bullet train) travel, I wouldn't even consider it.

All the same, you should have Hyperdia bookmarked for any Japan travel.
Great thanks. we are still trying to decide on Kyoto, so we will get it if we decide to do Kyoto otherwise just pay per trip.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by jaybert
Great thanks. we are still trying to decide on Kyoto, so we will get it if we decide to do Kyoto otherwise just pay per trip.
If you're just visiting Yokohama, Hakone and Kyoto, the JR pass isn't that much of a saving. If you want the flexibility to decide during the trip whether to go to Kyoto or not, you won't be losing a huge amount by forgoing the pass.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 5:39 pm

Programs: # Neodymium #
We've been travelling around japan for the last 2 weeks, using the JR Pass. We've been on the shinkansen from Tokyo to kyoto, then onto osaka and hiroshima, and lots of shorter journeys within that. We've jumped on a hikari or Sakura train whenever we needed, without reservation, and got seats in the unreserved cats without difficulty.
Very easy. Organised queues. English translations on signs and departure displays..
I don't think they could make it much easier for tourists!
Have fun!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.