Wiki Posts
Search

First time visiting Japan!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2014, 9:24 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jib71
Nah. Even Japanese people say that Kanazawans are stuck up and insular. So many things come to mind - but "You must come and visit us" means exactly the opposite in Kanazawa. That one sums it up for me.
I mean, great place to visit and all ... but the three or four months I spent there was too long.
"You must come and visit us" sounds awfully direct for anyone in Japan, maybe save for it being jocularly uttered by an Osaka native.

In any event, Kanazawa served as my introduction to Japan, though I wonder how much it has changed - beyond the addition of a contemporary torii at the train station - since that summer of 2000. It does hold the dubious distinction of being the only place I was stopped for jaywalking, right by the downtown Daiwa.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
"You must come and visit us" sounds awfully direct for anyone in Japan, maybe save for it being jocularly uttered by an Osaka native.
Nonsense. The actual greeting is "Asobi ni kite kudasai." Not all that unusual in any part of Japan. But when Kanazawans say it, it means: "Nice to have met. Now lets remain strangers".
Old Feb 22, 2014, 9:45 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jib71
Nonsense. The actual greeting is "Asobi ni kite kudasai." Not all that unusual in any part of Japan. But when Kanazawans say it, it means: "Nice to have met. Now leave me alone".
I've only ever heard it in Roppongi, or from the random 酔っぱらい who invited me to sushi. Our mileage has clearly varied.

Though, back to Kanazawa, it had a nice blend of historic neighborhoods/temples and cityscape, inviting fans of bike riding to have a gander. Also, since I was there in the summer, I was able to savor the ayu that you mentioned elsewhere.

The Noto peninsula also has a few worthwhile attractions, though since it's been so long, I might as well wait for the Tokyo shinkansen to be completed before another visit.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
I've only ever heard it in Roppongi, or from the random 酔っぱらい who invited me to sushi. Our mileage has clearly varied..
Nobody has ever invited you to their home? You must smell bad or something. In Kanazawa, however, you'd hear this invitation no matter how bad you smelled, because the invitation would be meaningless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.