Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NRT - does a 'departre tax' still exist

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2013, 9:23 am
Original Poster

NRT - does a 'departre tax' still exist

I recall there being a departure tax once you go thru immigration at NRT. This was back in the mid 1990's tho.

Is still the same? If so, is it still like ~JPY3000? If not, how is it paid...is it 'built in' to the ticket you purchase....say if you're travelling from IAD --> NRT for a RT ticket....is this departure tax already in your ticket price?

Thanks,
Meapya
Old Oct 10, 2013, 9:53 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Yes, they still exists. Those are called Passenger Service Facility Charge and technically it is not tax collected by the government but it is fee collected by the airport authority. Today those fees are collected by an airline when airline ticket was purchased.

You will not asked to pay those fees at Narita Airport as you depart, but if you already purchased the airline ticket then you already paid the fee.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 4:32 pm

Programs: FT
I fondly remember my tax stamps in my passport from 1990...and lots of checks, water cannons etc at the same time.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Anybody think Japan will take a more liberal approach and eliminate/reduce passenger and/or landing fees now that there are more alternative airports and a lot of carriers have started over-flying NRT?
Old Oct 11, 2013, 7:50 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by 5khours
Anybody think Japan will take a more liberal approach and eliminate/reduce passenger and/or landing fees now that there are more alternative airports and a lot of carriers have started over-flying NRT?
not a chance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.