Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Short time in Narita and Duty Free ???

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2013, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by WorldTraveler780
There may be things at Duty free that are not available in Houston. For example, perhaps Japanese whiskey. Also, at NRT there may be certain Japanese (or other countries), souvenirs or food, or even pastries, he would like to buy.
I haven't checked in several years, but Champagne used to be a really good deal in Europe as well as some liqueurs (Cointreau for one). There are deals available in Duty Free, but you have to do homework before you buy (know the brand and the price you can get it for in the USA). It's kind of like Costco - not everything is cheaper there.

As a side note - I have a work colleague in SIN who buys a bottle of alcohol at his departure airport and on arrival in SIN (when flying around Asia) and says that is still cheaper than what he can get actually in Singapore.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA-Gold SPG-Gold Avis-First
As a side note - I have a work colleague in SIN who buys a bottle of alcohol at his departure airport and on arrival in SIN (when flying around Asia) and says that is still cheaper than what he can get actually in Singapore.[/QUOTE]

^^^
If visiting friends in Singapore always buy a bottle of wine/liquor for them from duty free. (In Singapore a $5 bottle of wine costs $25 and Jack Daniels is close to $90.)
Old Sep 11, 2013, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
For those that complain Duty-free is a rip off, keep in mind many other travelers find them still cheaper than the alternatives back home. Personally, the best comparison I have seen was a 1L JW Blue for $150 USD @ TPE (plus a gift bag and mini JW Blue bottle and personalized engraving) . Cheaper than anywhere I could get in the States. Have to realize that alcohol in the US is not that badly priced.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 1:06 am

Programs: Won Kay
Originally Posted by love_to_travel
I just did SIN-NRT-HNL in GF and theoretically I could have entered Japan and put any liquor I bought in SIN into my check-in luggage at NRT and then recheck the bag (provided I didn't check it all the way through to HNL), but what a hassle. And I had a full 4 hours not just 50 minutes.

I would suggest skipping the duty free and get Tokyo Banana instead.

There's no way you are getting that in Houston.

I squeezed 10 boxes into my carry-on and hand carried another 6. They are all gone now. Mmmm.
Don't forget the Green Tea Kit-Kats!

Originally Posted by BangkokTraveler
This is especially useful if you are headed to the ANA lounge.
If you have any layover at NRT at all, there is only one lounge to use: the ANA Lounge.

The United Club is quite shopworn, and it's, well, a United Club.

Much better everything at ANA -- with superfast WiFi to boot. ^

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 12, 2013 at 2:28 am Reason: merge
Old Sep 12, 2013, 6:13 am

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
Originally Posted by roadkit

If you have any layover at NRT at all, there is only one lounge to use: the ANA Lounge.

so you can use the ana lounge even if you are connecting from one ua flight to another?
Old Sep 12, 2013, 7:24 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bearkatt
so you can use the ana lounge even if you are connecting from one ua flight to another?
As a *G you can use either one. ANA is at one end of the terminal and UC is at the other end.

I prefer the UC because the ANA lounge reminds me of sitting in office cubicals in a basement. I like the high ceiling and floor to ceiling windows in the UC.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 7:24 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Yes, as long as you are an eligible passenger. (*G, business or first)
Old Sep 12, 2013, 8:41 am

Programs: UA 1K
A lot of good can come from learning the *A lounge access rules
Old Sep 12, 2013, 9:30 am

Wow, those Tokyo Bananas look awesome! Didn't notice them, however, next time I go I will definitely look for them. Do you remember which store they were in?
Old Sep 12, 2013, 10:26 am

Programs: United Gold
Originally Posted by WorldTraveler780
Wow, those Tokyo Bananas look awesome! Didn't notice them, however, next time I go I will definitely look for them. Do you remember which store they were in?
They are awesome. I bought mine at the Akihabara store that is very close to the United Club. When exiting the club turn left and walk until you see the Akihabara store on your left. You can get them at other stores as well, but I find this store to have the greatest selection (they come in other flavors as well).
Old Sep 12, 2013, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K2MM, HH Diamond (LT), Mar Plat, Avis First
Thanks to all for all the good tips and observations. Will be passing through NRT both direction in early Oct.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I'm a big fan of the Yoku Moku cookies. Available in other outlets around town, but also at Duty Free.

You CAN buy them in the states but for way, way more money.

My Duty Free purchases are otherwise limited to things that I either can't get or that I know are cheaper. I'm fond of a particular type of Scotch that I can almost always get in Duty free, paying less for a Liter than I'd pay for 750ml here in the states.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by milepig
I'm a big fan of the Yoku Moku cookies. Available in other outlets around town, but also at Duty Free.

You CAN buy them in the states but for way, way more money.

My Duty Free purchases are otherwise limited to things that I either can't get or that I know are cheaper. I'm fond of a particular type of Scotch that I can almost always get in Duty free, paying less for a Liter than I'd pay for 750ml here in the states.
Curious to know which brand of Scotch that may be... I'm always looking for good Scotch recommendations. Also, will try the Yoku Moku cookies.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 3:42 pm

I went to the ANA lounge once (it's located near the public pay showers) looking for a shower, it had none and it was small. Did I visit the ugly sister?
Old Sep 12, 2013, 4:32 pm

Had a 1 hr 40 min layover in NRT a few days ago. Connecting from a United operated intra-Asia flight to US bound flight. Short walk from arrival plane (<5 mins) to go through NRT security (arrived at 2pm and no wait in security), duty free was next to security, purchased my bottles of Sake and left duty free shop with bags, finally a short walk (2 minutes) to departing United flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.