Short time in Narita and Duty Free ???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Short time in Narita and Duty Free ???

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2013, 1:05 am

Programs: United Gold
I just did SIN-NRT-HNL in GF and theoretically I could have entered Japan and put any liquor I bought in SIN into my check-in luggage at NRT and then recheck the bag (provided I didn't check it all the way through to HNL), but what a hassle. And I had a full 4 hours not just 50 minutes.

I would suggest skipping the duty free and get Tokyo Banana instead.

There's no way you are getting that in Houston.

I squeezed 10 boxes into my carry-on and hand carried another 6. They are all gone now. Mmmm.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by love_to_travel
I would suggest skipping the duty free and get Tokyo Banana instead.

There's no way you are getting that in Houston.

I squeezed 10 boxes into my carry-on and hand carried another 6. They are all gone now. Mmmm.
Indeed, Tokyo Banana is... well, imagine a Twinkie, only perhaps ever so slightly less bad for you, and tasting of banana, and Japanese. Of all the things visiting colleagues bring from Japan, they're at the top of my list.

Of course, when I go there myself, I am under very specific orders from the Missus to bring back as much "green tea" flavor Kit-Kat as I can fit in my bags.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 5:22 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
With a 50 minute connection, assuming your not too late in arriving at NRT should allow you enough time to pick-up duty free in NRT. You should not purchase duty free in SIN as you won't be able to bring it through the security screening in NRT and can't put in your checked bags. The good thing is there is ample duty free shopping right by UA gates in NRT.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 6:06 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by gokeeper
Originally Posted by BangkokTraveler
Should we tell him about the shortcut through the security that has no line?
I'd like to know...have a connection at NRT tomorrow, LOL
This is especially useful if you are headed to the ANA lounge.

Typically on UA, you will arrive at gates 31-48. When you get off the plane, all the signs point towards the security entry that is near gate 31. And all the moving walkways are one-way toward that direction as well. Walk the opposite direction. There will be no signs and no moving walkways, just keep walking to the end of the concourse, you will see a security checkpoint on your left (just past gate 38) that is nearly always completely empty, you'll probably be the only one going through there. Go down the escalator twice and you will be right in front of the ANA lounge.

If you arrive at gate 31 or 32, it is probably faster and easier to pass through security near gate 31, go down one level, and take the moving walkways back. That is IF there is not a security line.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 6:13 am

[QUOTE=BangkokTraveler;21424956]Typically on UA, you will arrive at gates 31-48. When you get off the plane, all the signs point towards the security entry that is near gate 31. And all the moving walkways are one-way toward that direction as well. Walk the opposite direction. There will be no signs and no moving walkways, just keep walking to the end of the concourse, you will see a security checkpoint on your left (just past gate 38) that is nearly always completely empty, you'll probably be the only one going through there. Go down the escalator twice and you will be right in front of the ANA lounge.

[QUOTE]

Ohhhhhh the time I've saved taking this route...while most of my transiting passengers are heading towards the checkpt above gate 32 I am quickly and easily clearing security on the other side and dashing to theANA Lounge/Suite Lounge to relax
Old Sep 11, 2013, 6:32 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
@:-) thx BangkokTraveler
Old Sep 11, 2013, 7:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by DanTravels
Of course, when I go there myself, I am under very specific orders from the Missus to bring back as much "green tea" flavor Kit-Kat as I can fit in my bags.
^^^
Old Sep 11, 2013, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee

Especially at SIN. Those duty free shops are brutally expensive.
I was thru SIN, BOM, JNB and BKK and Mauritius and Madagascar Duty Free in recent weeks, and of course SYD duty free arrivals.

Of them BOM seemed to have the best deals on a passing glance, (they refuse to take Rupees annoyingly) but was first airport so did not want to schlep it about.

SYD DEPARTURE Duty free was the best of them all I'd say. Lots of bulk deals that really are cheap given weak $A.

BKK is a trap for new players. WHATEVER you buy ANYWHERE except BKK DF, they will confiscate it at security screening at gate. EVERYTHING.

If I'd bought a 2 Litres of Johnny Walker Blue in BOM for $100s and it was sealed in a DF bag, and always stayed in TRANSIT they take it all. That's obscene.

There is also a weird embargo on smokes in BKK. Been there 3 times this year and the NEVER have Marlboro's for some reason, with a lame sign to that effect. Even on the street they are cheap so can't figure that.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ozstamps
There is also a weird embargo on smokes in BKK. Been there 3 times this year and the NEVER have Marlboro's for some reason, with a lame sign to that effect. Even on the street they are cheap so can't figure that.
Note to self - avoid BKK Duty Free 'cause Marlboro Silver is my brand...
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:07 am

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold, HH Dia, Hertz #1 5*

Typically on UA, you will arrive at gates 31-48. When you get off the plane, all the signs point towards the security entry that is near gate 31. And all the moving walkways are one-way toward that direction as well. Walk the opposite direction. There will be no signs and no moving walkways, just keep walking to the end of the concourse, you will see a security checkpoint on your left (just past gate 38) that is nearly always completely empty, you'll probably be the only one going through there. Go down the escalator twice and you will be right in front of the ANA lounge.

If you arrive at gate 31 or 32, it is probably faster and easier to pass through security near gate 31, go down one level, and take the moving walkways back. That is IF there is not a security line.
Being that I will be arriving NRT on UA79 from EWR, which I believe is one of the first of the UA arrivals, how will either security entry be at approx. 2PM? I will be connecting to NZ90 to AKL after 4.5 hours in NRT.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:12 am
Original Poster

OP here, looking for Japanese whiskey. Specs only has one bottle.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:30 am

Programs: UA 1MM
Thumbs up

Wow. Clear concise directions, with an alternative plan and a usful caveat. I think flyertalk should double our membership fees just for the sheer joy of this

All humor aside, thanks much, I will use this tip soon. Have a great day, and enjoy my nomination for post of the year
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:55 am

Programs: OW Emerald
Duty free seems like it's more trouble than it's worth IMO. Only exception might be if you're flying into China, the land of fake everything, and want to buy some smokes/booze you know is legit.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by JerseySlime
Being that I will be arriving NRT on UA79 from EWR, which I believe is one of the first of the UA arrivals, how will either security entry be at approx. 2PM? I will be connecting to NZ90 to AKL after 4.5 hours in NRT.
For the security line I mentioned, the only time I have EVER seem a line there is in the morning. For the other one near gate 31, it will be hit or miss. Usually waiting time 0-15 mins. 2pm is prob better than later.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 3:27 pm

There may be things at Duty free that are not available in Houston. For example, perhaps Japanese whiskey. Also, at NRT there may be certain Japanese (or other countries), souvenirs or food, or even pastries, he would like to buy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.