Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Japan Rail (JR) Pass questions (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 6, 2016, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
About Japan Rail Pass
JAPAN RAIL PASS, a joint offering of the six companies comprising the Japan Railways Group (JR Group).
__________________________________________________ _____________

Eligibility
(1) You are a foreign tourist visiting Japan from abroad for sight-seeing, under the entry status of "temporary visitor" or

(2) You are a Japanese national living outside of Japan who has both their Japanese passport and written proof—obtained from the embassy or legation of Japan in the foreign country where they live—that they have been living legally in the country for 10 consecutive years or more.
__________________________________________________ _____________

Validity Period
The validity period of a JAPAN RAIL PASS is the consecutive 7, 14, or 21 days period beginning on the date the PASS is first used.
Within three months from the date the Exchange Order was issued, you must turn in your Exchange Order to obtain your JAPAN RAIL PASS
(for example, an Exchange Order issued on April 15 would have to be turned in by July 14).

more information: http://www.japanrailpass.net/en/index.html
Print Wikipost

Japan Rail (JR) Pass questions (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2020, 5:11 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I've now changed my plans (for those who have read my previous posts) and am planning on visiting Kyoto and Osaka (flying in and out of Tokyo).

Say I go Tokyo - Kyoto - Osaka - Kyoto - Tokyo. I will want the bullet train for the long hauls and green seats on every route.

The 7-day green pass is $360 US.

According to Hyperdia (thanks bpe ! Teach a man to fish...) individual tickets would be: 18,720 yen each way for Tokyo - Kyoto, and Kyoto - Osaka for 2,530 yen each way on limited express.

That's a total of 42,500 yen, which is $387 by today's exchange rates.

This all seems not worthwhile to save $27. Also, if I just buy regular tickets, it gives me the option of taking Nozomi on the long trip for just 320 yen more each way.

Is there anything wrong with my logic here?
not much. Unless you make a day trip to Hiroshima
otherwise the advantages/disadvantages you already know
Old Feb 15, 2020, 7:01 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Oh that's a good point -- I never took the rail to/from the airport. I always used a taxi from HND and a hotel coach (bus) from NRT. Maybe I'll look into that.
The pass is valid for monorail from HND and JR Narita Express from NRT.
You could count that as a $5 to $10 value for the one-way trip if you compare with the cost of the cheapest alternatives. Or a higher value if you consider that it’s replacing a taxi.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 3:45 pm
tt7

Is there anything wrong with my logic here?
No .... but I wouldn't (a) bother with Green class - the regular seats are fine (sit in the DE seats if you want to be on the Mt. Fuji side) and (b) I wouldn't take the Shinkansen between Kyoto and Shin-Osaka but take the Rapid Service to Osaka for ¥570.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 2:04 am

Programs: Dirt
Japan Rail Pass will start direct online sale soon.

Starting in April, japanrailpass.net will be updated to advise visitors of the upcoming changes.

On June 1, Japan Rail Pass will be sold through japanrailpass-reservation.net and it appears reservations can be made at the same time. The passes must be activated within 1 month of sale. The new pass will be compatible with automatic ticket gates and ticket vending machines for seat reservations.

Source: https://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2019/20200217_ho02.pdf
freecia, tetudc and pauq like this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 8:58 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by msb0b
Japan Rail Pass will start direct online sale soon.

Starting in April, japanrailpass.net will be updated to advise visitors of the upcoming changes.

On June 1, Japan Rail Pass will be sold through japanrailpass-reservation.net and it appears reservations can be made at the same time. The passes must be activated within 1 month of sale. The new pass will be compatible with automatic ticket gates and ticket vending machines for seat reservations.

Source: https://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2019/20200217_ho02.pdf
im flying into Japan on June 3. Is there an exchange order and will they be shipped to country of residence or can I just go to the relevant ticket office when I arrive japan and get them?
Old Feb 20, 2020, 11:11 am

Programs: Dirt
Originally Posted by peaches070
im flying into Japan on June 3. Is there an exchange order and will they be shipped to country of residence or can I just go to the relevant ticket office when I arrive japan and get them?
Given your date of arrival is just days after the site launch, I would get the exchange order so the site issues will not affect you should there be any. The exchange order will be be usable through 2023.

No detail was provided on how the new site will deliver the pass. I suspect the new pass will be electronic.

Also forgot to mention in the last post, the system will be unavailable daily from 23:55 to 04:00 JST.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 11:59 am

If I read (the figures) correctly, this also includes a significant price rise.

For example, 7-day pass up from Y29,650 to Y33,610 = a rise of over 13%. Can someone confirm?
Old Feb 20, 2020, 8:18 pm
tt7

Originally Posted by railways
If I read (the figures) correctly, this also includes a significant price rise.

For example, 7-day pass up from Y29,650 to Y33,610 = a rise of over 13%. Can someone confirm?
The revised / new prices are the same as the current buy-it-in-Japan prices.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
We leave the first week of April, I have managed to get 3 nights at the Tokyo Hilton, 6 nights at the Conrad Osaka (its a points thing) then back to the Tokyo Bay our last night (resort credit) - flying home the next day at 5 pm.
I have been advised to simply take the shuttle from HND to the Hilton, arriving at 1520.
Thinking we do all our Tokyo stuff without the pass - I assume we can buy some sort of prepaid Tokyo card?
Activate the pass; take the train to Osaka - do maybe 3 all day trips (Nara, plus whatever you guys suggest), I realize we will probably go to Kyoto on 2 of these 6 days - then back to Tokyo on the 7th day.. Am I ok buying a pass?
Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:39 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
That is the recommended way to use the 7-day JR Rail Pass. Activate it for the longer travel - Tokyo-Osaka-Nara-Kyoto-Himeji-Hiroshima (or where ever) and back to Tokyo. Obtain and use a Suica or Pasmo prepaid travel card for local travel in and around Tokyo.
LapLap likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
No detail was provided on how the new site will deliver the pass. I suspect the new pass will be electronic.
JR went through so much IT efforts to design the "new" system, I hope at least it would make etic possible.
Old May 20, 2020, 7:27 am

Programs: JAL Global Club, ANA Super Flyers
For when things eventually get back to normal, JR Central has now published documentation on reserving seats when traveling with large luggage (over 160 linear cm). Haven't taken the Shinkansen since the state of emergency was declared, but apparently this is effective from May 2020. If you don't reserve a seat in advance and bring on a large bag, expect to be hit with a 1,000 yen fee.
Old May 20, 2020, 7:36 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
I'm very interested to see how they will enforce this, and what impact that enforcement will have on the arrival/boarding process.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 3:29 pm

New JR East Welcome 2020 Pass for foreign passport holders, regardless of Visa status.
https://www.eastjapanrailway.com/pass/wrp.html

Adult: 12,000 yen
Child: 6,000 yen

JR EAST Welcome Rail Pass 2020 is a special limited discount pass available only to foreign passport holders (regardless of visa status). It allows unlimited travel on all JR East trains in the areas of Tokyo, Tohoku, Nagano, and Niigata, inclusive of the Shinkansen, for 3 consecutive days. It is a great way to explore the eastern region of Japan this fall/winter!

・Limited Sales Period: October 16, 2020 to February 26, 2021
・Limited Validity Period: October 16, 2020 to February 28, 2021
Hat tip to https://www.reddit.com/r/japanlife/c...ome_pass_2020/
LapLap, bpe and shonanroger like this.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 11:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat
On June 1, Japan Rail Pass will be sold through japanrailpass-reservation.net and it appears reservations can be made at the same time. The passes must be activated within 1 month of sale.
Just a follow up to this, does this mean I can reserve a seat online after I buy the JR pass but before I arrive in Japan and pick up the physical JR pass? Also, are there any routes/dates exempt from online reservation? Looking at Tokyo-Osaka/Kyoto-Hiroshima late December/early Jan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.