Wiki Posts
Search

Help: Getting from CTS to Niseko

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2013, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Gold, RA, QF Gold, UA 1K

My partner and I are going to Niseko from 3rd May to 7th May.

So far, we have booked flights from Tokyo to Chitose on the 3rd May. After a bit research, we found that there may not be direct bus from CTS to Niseko. (there are one on the weekend of 4th May... but the website of cho bus mentioned they only run on weekends from 31st March to 6th May...)

There are the train option from CTS to Otaru to Kutchan then a taxi ride to Niseko (Hilton)... but it seems a bit complicated...

Does anyone have any experience about getting to Niseko during off-peak season? The private car transfer and taxi are too expensive... and we can't drive in Japan either...

Thanks in advance!!
Old Apr 7, 2013, 6:03 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yucci18
My partner and I are going to Niseko from 3rd May to 7th May.

So far, we have booked flights from Tokyo to Chitose on the 3rd May. After a bit research, we found that there may not be direct bus from CTS to Niseko. (there are one on the weekend of 4th May... but the website of cho bus mentioned they only run on weekends from 31st March to 6th May...)

There are the train option from CTS to Otaru to Kutchan then a taxi ride to Niseko (Hilton)... but it seems a bit complicated...

Does anyone have any experience about getting to Niseko during off-peak season? The private car transfer and taxi are too expensive... and we can't drive in Japan either...

Thanks in advance!!
The Chuo Bus website (in Japanese) says the service from CTS to Niseko runs at weekends and on public holidays between 30 March and 6 May. As 3 May is a public holiday in Japan there is a bus to Niseko leaving CTS at 13:30.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 6:05 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
If the bus that newbie mentioned doesn't work for you, the train journey looks fairly straightforward - There are airport trains that go to Otaru. From there you can take the train to Niseko.

Look up train times on Hyperdia.com

The airport station is "New Chitose Airport"
Old Apr 7, 2013, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Great, thank you so much

I saw the public holiday on the bus website as well - doesn't realize 3rd is a holiday too!!
It's just after 3 long flights, we really want to just not worrying about changing trains then bus... Although the train option looks good and gives extra experience getting to Niseko

One more question - should I book in advance or leave until we get to the airport?

Thank you again for your help
Old Apr 7, 2013, 9:24 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yucci18
One more question - should I book in advance or leave until we get to the airport?
Yes, Chuo Bus's website says you must book in advance.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I would rent a car. Driving in rural Hokkaido is easy (not at all like Tokyo). All you need is an international drivers license.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Thanks

I got the Chuo bus from CTS to Hilton Niseko. They stopped at one of the resort on the way there and the baked food smells amazing....

On the way back, i got the train to Otaru then Sapporo. It is pretty easy and the view is different....
Old Sep 23, 2013, 9:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, JAL Sapphire
Like to give this a bump with my questions.

My hotel in Niseko provided me a link to the Ski Bus service for transportation between CTS and Niseko. My flight on Dec. 20 is scheduled to arrive at 5:05pm, and the bus sets to depart CTS at 6:00pm (the next bus is at 7:30pm). Is this a doable arrangement? Would this be better than getting a car and drive ourselves?

Also, the hotel tells me to get off at the Kanronomori stop, then it's a 3 minute walk to the hotel (pass 9pm in the dead of winter). Would this be a hardship?

Thanks.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I think it kind of depends on the weather and how much gear you'll have with you. I took the bus from the airport to the Hilton and while there was a stop at the Hilton, we made an earlier stop in town.

I can tell you that I was glad to not have to trek from that central stop to adjacent properties -but maybe I'm a big wuss
Old Sep 24, 2013, 7:44 am

Programs: SPG, United

Chihster,

I've been to niseko in the winter a few times.

In terms of whether to rent a car, my advice would be against it. I have a lot of snow driving experience and many hours on steep snowy roads in mountains and I wouldn't take a chance driving in the dark on unfamiliar roads in possibly deep snow. Most of the ride is rather flat, even when you get to niseko, but the snow can come down hard so I wouldn't chance it. The bus service is relaxing and good. I take the whiteliner though not sure if they stop at your stop.

In regards to the walk with a snow covered road a three minute walk could be miserable with luggage. If you have wheeled luggage it won't work. You can ask your hotel if they can pick you up or ask what other arrangements they can make. Whatever cost will be cheaper than renting a car and you won't need a car after you arrive if your hotel is near a niseko united bus stop.

If you arrive on an international flight is give yourself time to catch the bus. Most buses leave from the domestic terminal so customs baggage and the walk in between will be cutting it close. CTS is on par with SIN in quality in my opinion, just smaller, so extra time can be spent well.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

For CTS to Niseko, you could catch a train as well. You have to change in Otaru but it is very easy

I took the bus from CTS to Hilton Niseko and it stops right in front of the hotel. It has a mini-break about 1.5 hours after leaving CTS - make sure you go into the store and buy some Japanese sweets

On the way back, i took the train Niseko - Otaru - Sapporo and stayed in Shin-Sapporo for 1 day and visited the Sapporo beer garden and shiroi koibito factory. Love it!!!
Old Jan 5, 2016, 2:48 am

What is the better more convenient choice: take the train CTS-Niseko or the bus?
Old Jan 5, 2016, 5:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by kmcbrid2
What is the better more convenient choice: take the train CTS-Niseko or the bus?
It depends... for bus there are 4 departures per day of direct bus by Chou bus that goes direct to Niseko and goes to major hotels

http://www.chuo-bus.co.jp/sightseein...ose-niseko.php

For train, you need to change at Sapporo or Otaru station

http://www2.jrhokkaido.co.jp/global/.../ttable/04.pdf

my 2 cents goes with bus
Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by ChrisLi
It depends... for bus there are 4 departures per day of direct bus by Chou bus that goes direct to Niseko and goes to major hotels

http://www.chuo-bus.co.jp/sightseein...ose-niseko.php

For train, you need to change at Sapporo or Otaru station

http://www2.jrhokkaido.co.jp/global/.../ttable/04.pdf

my 2 cents goes with bus
I arrive at 8:05 so looks like bus is fastest way to ski. However, will I have enough time to clear immigration/customs to make the 9:10 bus?

Other than taxi are there any other options for getting from CTS to Niseko?
Old Jan 5, 2016, 7:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by kmcbrid2
I arrive at 8:05 so looks like bus is fastest way to ski. However, will I have enough time to clear immigration/customs to make the 9:10 bus?

Other than taxi are there any other options for getting from CTS to Niseko?
I think you can book a van that goes direct from CTS to Niseko which you can ask your ski resort to help arrange. As you can read the distance is far with 3+ hour travel I would strong recommend against taxi.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.