Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo guide

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Tokyo guide

I'm preparing for our family trip to Tokyo, but have become quite intimidated recently. We don't speak any Japanese, and I'm especially fearful to getting from the airport to Tokyo, and about figuring out how to get around once there.

One thing I'm considering is hiring a guide for a day or two, perhaps to meet us at the airport as well to help us to get settled. Also to help me figure what to do that would be of interest to my teenage daughters. Can anyone suggest such a service or person, or provide me a reasonable assurance that my fears are unjustified?

dcman2
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:43 am

Programs: DL GM and so on
To get from Narita to Tokyo is a lot easier than, e.g. from JFK to Manhattan via Jamaica by subway. Everything is clearly marked with signs in English.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:56 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Yes. You should have no problems at all figuring out how to get around. Tokyo is one of the best-signposted cities on earth.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Thank you very much - it looks like my fears about having trouble from the airport were overblown. I appreciate the information.

That said, Tokyo is a massive city and we want to see many of the highlights during our short time there. I'd still like recommendations for guides or tour companies if anyone has suggestions.

dcman2
Old Dec 27, 2012, 4:07 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by dcman2
That said, Tokyo is a massive city and we want to see many of the highlights during our short time there. I'd still like recommendations for guides or tour companies if anyone has suggestions.

dcman2
I think that you will really appreciate the journey to the highlights as well as the highlights themselves. Japan is extremely safe and getting around, though probably different than what you're used to, is not difficult. Don't buffer your experience through a guide. Do a bit of reasearch here and other places, and enjoy the country firsthand. Japan is one of those places that is immensely rewarding for those who spend a bit of effort finding out about it, IMHO.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 4:14 pm
In memoriam

I wouldn't be so much concerned with getting from the airport to your hotel as getting from the airport to your hotel when you're in a total fog due to a long trip and jet lag. Especially if you're dealing with children and a lot of luggage.

The hotel we stayed at in Tokyo in 2006 had a "meet and greet" service at the airport. It basically met us at the airport - got us on the right bus (we could have used the train) - and a porter met us at the bus stop when we got into town and took us to the hotel a few blocks away. I don't know if this is a common hotel service (or how much various hotels charge for it) - but it's worth looking into.

Note that a bus is easier than a train if you're dealing with a lot of luggage (although I would certainly check whether a bus or a train gets you closer to your hotel - you can start a new thread and ask some of our experienced Japan travelers here about that). Also note that one way to make arrival easier is to change more cash than you think you'll be spending during your trip before you leave. We do this whenever we leave the United States. Our bank - Bank of America - usually charges about 2-3%. But I doubt we'd save much if we exchanged money in our destination country - and we'd certainly waste a lot of time. Worst comes to worst - we use any unused cash to pay our hotel bill at the end of our stay.

As for a guide while in Tokyo - I guess it depends. Before you decide - I think everyone in your family should spend some time reading about Tokyo - and seeing what things interest them. Then have a family meeting - and decide on a tentative list of things to do. Then - once you have decided what you want to do (just the highlights - don't plan every minute of every day) - organize those things by geographical area. Although the subway system in Tokyo is great - it is still a huge city. And you don't want to spend half of your time navigating around the subway going from one end of town to the other during your days there. I recommend the Time Out Guide to Tokyo in terms of reading about sightseeing. It has descriptions of most of the major things to see/do - organized by geographical areas.

IMO - your children aren't kids. They're capable of reading about a city and deciding what sounds interesting to them. Fashion? That's really big in Tokyo. Anime? That's really big too. Something else? I think your biggest chore will be deciding as a family how to balance the things your daughters might want to see/do versus those you/your wife might want to see/do. But also keep in mind that Japan is perhaps the safest country in the world crime-wise. If your daughters are mature - I wouldn't hesitate for a minute turning them loose on their own to explore things that interest them - but bore you to death.

Also - Tokyo is a city where your hotel concierge is your best friend . It is often not easy to find things - or even the streets they're located on. Any decent hotel concierge will be able to print out maps for you - complete with directions in English and Japanese. You can use the English. And - if you still can't find something (that happens) - you can always ask someone for help using your Japanese map. The people in Tokyo are very polite and helpful (although perhaps somewhat reserved). And - unless you are approaching someone who is rushing to work - if you have a card printed out in Japanese that says "excuse me - do you know where this is" and a map showing what you're talking about - you will always find what you're looking for.

On our first trip to Tokyo in 2006 - we didn't use a guide. And we did fine. OTOH - we will probably be using a guide for a day or two on our trip in 2013. We avoided some museums and other attractions we'd like to see on our first trip because we read there wasn't much in the way of English explanations/signs in these places. We'd like to visit them on this trip with someone who can explain what we're looking at.

Anyway - don't hesitate asking questions here - no matter how dumb they might seem. I asked a ton of questions here before our trip in 2006 - and got great answers that helped me a lot.

Finally - look at it this way. The worst thing that will happen to you in Tokyo is you will wind up lost in a great city (which can sometimes have surprise fun results). There's an exit on the Florida Turnpike. Which - if you miss it - means driving about 50 miles out of your way. Which is worse ? Robyn
Old Dec 27, 2012, 4:20 pm
In memoriam

P.S. There are lots of other little things that help a lot. Like - for example - buying subway passes with set amounts of yen on them as opposed to figuring out the cost of every single ride (we used them in 2006 and I assume they still exist).

Also - if you will be in Kyoto (I see that you're staying in Japan for 2 weeks) - I can highly recommend Mr. Doi:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...ide-kyoto.html

At or near the end of a 2 week trip - you will probably be pretty tired. And the subway system in Kyoto is somewhat limited. Robyn

Last edited by robyng; Dec 27, 2012 at 4:29 pm
Old Dec 27, 2012, 6:19 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
I wouldn't normally recommend hiring a guide for general tourism in Tokyo, but I might make an exception for something special ... I think this cycle tour has gone up in price, but it's still highly regarded. I think most tourists are unlikely to try cycling around Tokyo without some guidance:
http://www.tokyocycling.jp/program.html
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:37 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Knowing what I think is the hotel that robyng stayed at, I would say you shouldn't expect quite the same level of service at most hotels in Tokyo. In particular, I wouldn't necessarily expect the hotel would have a Narita "meet and greet" staffer.

If you tell us what hotel you have booked, there are almost certainly folks here who can give further advice about getting there from teh airport.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:44 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by robyng
P.S. There are lots of other little things that help a lot. Like - for example - buying subway passes with set amounts of yen on them as opposed to figuring out the cost of every single ride (we used them in 2006 and I assume they still exist).
Yes, invest 500 yen into Suica card (you can get the deposit back at the end of your trip if you want). Then load a few thousand yens into it, it will make traveling around the city MUCH more convenient.

I am currently in Japan on our family's second long trip here. We don't speak Japanese except the few most common phrases (which always seem to be apprecoated). I agree pretty much with everything that has been said in this thread so far.

1) You will be fine. If Japan is not the world's safest country, it ranks pretty high anyway.

2) Navigating the streets etc. takes some time getting used to, even though all the signs are also in English. Since Tokyo is a BIG city, the local transport system is also BIG. Well, make that HUGE. It is better to at least have a look at the maps beforehand. Also, plan your day(s). E.g., "This day we will do some shopping in Akihabara, including lunch." This will reduce the amount of time spent on trains. Also, avoid trains during the morning rush hours. Traveling at those hours is not pleasant, especially with children. Have a long breakfast, and head out around nine or so.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by SPBanker
Yes, invest 500 yen into Suica card (you can get the deposit back at the end of your trip if you want). Then load a few thousand yens into it, it will make traveling around the city MUCH more convenient.
Better yet get a Suica card and use the N'EX to get into Tokyo from Narita:

http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/suica-nex/
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:29 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
>> I'm considering is hiring a guide for a day or two,

at 30-50USD/hr, not including vehicle.

Taxi tours: 3 hours 15000yen - 8 hours 35500 yen, taxi drivers with limited English

Goodwill Guide: free, you pay for all transportation but meet+greet isn't really what they would do. I certainly wouldn't do it as a volunteer.

>> I'm especially fearful to getting from the airport to Tokyo

Pick a hotel that has Limousine Bus (just a bus) service - and watch out for the schedule. http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/ Or fly into Haneda and hire a flat rate taxi @ ~8000.

Last edited by beep88; Dec 28, 2012 at 10:34 am
Old Dec 28, 2012, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone for your input - I appreciate both the information and your willingness to help a great deal. I have lots to think about, and more options than I initially realized.

dcman2
Old Dec 28, 2012, 3:20 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by beep88
>> I'm considering is hiring a guide for a day or two,

at 30-50USD/hr, not including vehicle.

Taxi tours: 3 hours 15000yen - 8 hours 35500 yen, taxi drivers with limited English

Goodwill Guide: free, you pay for all transportation but meet+greet isn't really what they would do. I certainly wouldn't do it as a volunteer.

>> I'm especially fearful to getting from the airport to Tokyo

Pick a hotel that has Limousine Bus (just a bus) service - and watch out for the schedule. http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/ Or fly into Haneda and hire a flat rate taxi @ ~8000.
A 3-hour taxi tour is less than the taxi from Narita? Do they do NRT pick-ups?...
Old Dec 28, 2012, 4:11 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
A 3-hour taxi tour is less than the taxi from Narita? Do they do NRT pick-ups?...
Probably no - but I plan to check whether there is any specialized airport taxi service that has a fixed airport rate (I was able to find such a service in Stockholm - and it cost a heck of a lot less than a normal "on the meter" taxi ride). OTOH - the OP - with 4 people and probably a fair amount of luggage - probably wouldn't be able to fit into one taxi. Robyn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.