Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best non-"high-end" sushi in Tokyo?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2024, 1:42 am

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Originally Posted by chocobill
Had lunch the other day at Sushi Banya Kai at Shinagawa that's run by the same group. Quality was very good to excellent and the price could not be beat at 4840JPY for 16-pc omakase for their supposedly 'school lunch' by sushi chefs in training.
How do you book the lunch?

I see online reversation for the dinner at both Ginza and Shinagawa for 9k
But not the lunch one. Or is it just walk-in first come first serve?
Old Jan 9, 2024, 12:47 am

Programs: AP 75k
Originally Posted by JordanWalker
How do you book the lunch?

I see online reversation for the dinner at both Ginza and Shinagawa for 9k
But not the lunch one. Or is it just walk-in first come first serve?
It's bookable on the official restaurant tablecheck website, but only in the Japanese version.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 1:20 am

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Originally Posted by chocobill
It's bookable on the official restaurant tablecheck website, but only in the Japanese version.
Thank you so much! Just made a reservation. Even Amex' Conciergewasn't much of a help.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 2:44 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by chokeman
I went to Tsukiji this past November and was very disappointed with the crowds and overall vibe. It's become a tourist trap and nothing like what I had experienced many years ago.

I was actually with a Japanese friend and he just grinned and agreed that Tsukiji is now only for tourists and is way overpriced.

​​​​
All true -- the real fish market has moved -- the vendors in Tsukiji are just there for tourists who don't know any better....
lsquare and chokeman like this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 6:27 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
All true -- the real fish market has moved -- the vendors in Tsukiji are just there for tourists who don't know any better....
Yes, but if you want fresh fish or sashimi cut in individual portions there is still the 2 part retail market - which IME most tourists haven't invaded and was my source for over indulging in uni
bmwe92fan likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 6:33 am

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by estnet
Yes, but if you want fresh fish or sashimi cut in individual portions there is still the 2 part retail market - which IME most tourists haven't invaded and was my source for over indulging in uni
The retail market was amazing. I managed to explain to one of the tuna sellers that we lived where they caught a ton of the commercial tuna in the US that comes to Japan and he was very excited. Showed him a video of me trying to reel one in and got a great chuckle. The rest of Tsukiji was basically sardine packing to get around the lines for Instagram spots.
bmwe92fan likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 7:05 pm

Programs: KF Gold|VA Gold|HH Diamond|Kimpton IC|Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by estnet
What or where is the 2 part retail market?
Old Jan 11, 2024, 1:03 am

Programs: Delta Gold 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by oh_lol
What or where is the 2 part retail market?
I think he is referring to the Tsukiji Uogashi. Two 3-story buildings that has indoor shops on the first floor, restaurants and a rooftop garden on the third floor.

https://japantravel.navitime.com/en/...02301-1405825/
oh_lol likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 6:54 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by Daytona
I think he is referring to the Tsukiji Uogashi. Two 3-story buildings that has indoor shops on the first floor, restaurants and a rooftop garden on the third floor.

https://japantravel.navitime.com/en/...02301-1405825/
Yes exactly .
Old Yesterday, 10:03 am

Programs: IB+ Oro / OWS
Hi, not sure if this qualifies as 'cheap' but...

I did Hatsune Sushi tonight, near Kamata JR station, so a short ride from HND T3 on the Keiyu line to KeiyuKamata and a short walk to the restaurant
Stayed at the nextdoor Super Hotel Tokyo JR Kamatanishiguchi. Landed at 2pm, got to hotel by 3pm, did the hotel bath then sushi dinner,

Apart from the near-HND FT angle, there's also a bit of "FLUB" (BA term): the main chef/master sometimes hang out in Italy, leaving the sous to take over but the menu is 22k instead of 66k. The 22k 'apprentice menu' of course does not use the 66k's ingredients, but it's definitely not 1/3.
Style wise, there's a touch of Sawada (aging, expensive ingredients), Kimura (even more extensive aging, though vinegared so not as funky, strong red vinegar), Sho-school (random Otsumami), , but very far from the Kanesaka/Saito 'purist' school, which is great for those who just landed and want strong flavours.
Easy online booking (no reference/referral/1 year ahead booking needed).
'Off menu' 追加 pieces, some experimental from the apprentice and not on the master's own repertoire.
For me this was an excellent, fun and 'cheap' (relative to other high end) sushiya.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.