Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best non-"high-end" sushi in Tokyo?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2022, 2:49 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
Originally Posted by joejones
I would take Keikyu from HND to Higashi-Ginza, get a locker for bags if needed (keep in mind you can't check through from HND to NRT), walk a few blocks southeast to Tsukiji 4 intersection, get some sushi at basically any of the places to the south of that intersection (there are a LOT of them and many are open 24 hours or close to it), maybe check out the big temple nearby, then wander back to Higashi-Ginza and take the Asakusa Line direct from there to NRT. Very easy and should leave plenty of time to enjoy the F lounge.
Just buy this ticket at the ticket office? The Keisei website is a bit confusing.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 7:04 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Yes, buy at the station. These are not reserved trains so you can't book them in advance. To make things even easier, get the Mobile Suica app and charge it with 2,000+ yen in advance, so all you have to do is tap in and out with your phone at each station, no futzing with ticket machines or agents required. Suica is also what the coin lockers at the station use.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by joejones
Yes, buy at the station. These are not reserved trains so you can't book them in advance. To make things even easier, get the Mobile Suica app and charge it with 2,000+ yen in advance, so all you have to do is tap in and out with your phone at each station, no futzing with ticket machines or agents required. Suica is also what the coin lockers at the station use.
Looks like sadly I need either a Japanese phone or an iPhone, neither of which I have, to use the mobile app. Something different in the NFC card. Doesn't look like there's any work around for my Samsung Galaxy S20.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
Looks like sadly I need either a Japanese phone or an iPhone, neither of which I have, to use the mobile app. Something different in the NFC card. Doesn't look like there's any work around for my Samsung Galaxy S20.
I’ve transferred my pasmo card to the iPhone app and have been using it last few days. It’s great. Had a couple of minor issues. Wouldn’t let me tap out at Ginza station requiring intervention from an attendant. Also for some reason didn’t work at a ramen shop vending machine.

I read somewhere that an android app is in beta for non Japanese phones. Perhaps it’ll be ready in production by the time you travel. Otherwise you should be able to just purchase tickets or get a physical pasmo card at the train station at HND.

btw, I arrived into HND at 555am this week and immigration line took 2 hours. Longest I’ve ever waited at any Japanese airport ever, by far. Hopefully things will get back to normal by the time you travel.

ETA: I agree with the recommendation of heading to tsukiji but you can also just go to any of the sushizanmai branches. There are several at tsukiji but they are also all over Tokyo. Another similar chain (I think it’s a chain) that may be a bit better is Itamae Sushi. The one in Ginza is pretty good. If you decide to go to Toyosu rather than wait at the super long line at sushi dai or daiwa, check out one of the other restaurants with a more reasonable line. Specifically I went to a restaurant called Yamazaki at Toyosu and the line around noon yesterday was maybe 20 minutes. ¥7500 for a very good omakase.
JayhawkCO likes this.

Last edited by greendx; Dec 29, 2022 at 7:58 am
Old Dec 29, 2022, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by greendx
I’ve transferred my pasmo card to the iPhone app and have been using it last few days. It’s great. Had a couple of minor issues. Wouldn’t let me tap out at Ginza station requiring intervention from an attendant. Also for some reason didn’t work at a ramen shop vending machine.

I read somewhere that an android app is in beta for non Japanese phones. Perhaps it’ll be ready in production by the time you travel. Otherwise you should be able to just purchase tickets or get a physical pasmo card at the train station at HND.

btw, I arrived into HND at 555am this week and immigration line took 2 hours. Longest I’ve ever waited at any Japanese airport ever, by far. Hopefully things will get back to normal by the time you travel.
Thanks for the info. Yeah, with this whole trip I'm taking all "timing issues" with grains of salt. I'm flying through DEL T3 several times and as of 10 days ago, there were 3 hour lines. Now it looks like everything is back to normal. Hopefully Japanese immigration will be the same way.

Edit After Your Edit - Yeah. Yamazaki was on that was recommended. Just a little farther to hoof it from the train station, but I don't mind walking a ways.

Last edited by JayhawkCO; Dec 29, 2022 at 8:09 am
Old Dec 31, 2022, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Interesting thread! So I'll have very little Yen on me. Any suggestions on where to go that accept credit cards?
Old Dec 31, 2022, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsquare
Interesting thread! So I'll have very little Yen on me. Any suggestions on where to go that accept credit cards?
Tsuchiya is close to Narita Town Station and Tabelog says it accepts credit cards.
https://tabelog-com.translate.goog/c...#title-rstdata

A summary with a couple of reviews can be found here:
https://retty-me.translate.goog/area...n&_x_tr_pto=sc
low price doesn’t mean “cheap”, more that you are likely to feel you get better value here than at an equivalent closer to central Tokyo

There’s going to be a Matsushima fresh Oyster pop up at the Aeon Mall but it doesn’t start until the 7th Jan. Sorry!
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 8:00 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Most restaurants in Tokyo take credit cards nowadays -- there has been a lot of progress on that front in the last few years.
Boraxo and lsquare like this.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 8:44 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
I think I took the last "cash only" kojin taxi to Haneda a couple of weeks ago. When we got to the airport, I had to read the road signs for him. I hope he got home OK.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by davidgrahammd
I would seriously consider going to the Tsukiji market (what used to be called the outer market) and just walk around the stalls. You can get pretty amazing food in a low pressure environment.

Since many of the shops have their own specialties, it's a very easy way to sample a lot of different things. One of my go to shops when there is Kurogin which specializes in tuna

And if you need a coffee to keep you going, nearby is Turret Coffee. Absolutely recommended...just make sure to go past the Starbucks on the corner
Thanks - the Tsukiji market is a dream.
355F1 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 11:59 pm

Don't laugh, but $1 sushi places are da bomb. I'd say the're better than most sushi places in America outside of big cities. Definitely check one out--it's entertaining to deposit the plates into the machine (it counts the # of plates to charge) and sometimes you can win a small prize if you're lucky
estnet and lsquare like this.

Last edited by Patrick Ding; Mar 10, 2023 at 12:10 pm
Old Mar 14, 2023, 6:01 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Here in Japan now.

Sushi Zanmai has never let us down once. Lots of locations and some open 24hrs.
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 12:20 am

you can try an app called tabelog. The reviews are worthy of reference
estnet likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Any recommendations near Shibuya besides Sushi Zenmai and Sushinomidori? I think I tried Zenmai on my last visit and it was great.

I would also like to take my kids to a sushi boat restaurant - my recollection was that these were pretty ubiquitous but welcome input.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 2:49 am

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Any recommendations near Shibuya besides Sushi Zenmai and Sushinomidori? I think I tried Zenmai on my last visit and it was great.

I would also like to take my kids to a sushi boat restaurant - my recollection was that these were pretty ubiquitous but welcome input.
Katsumidori Seibu Shibuya, not to be confused with Sushi no Midori.
Boraxo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.