Wiki Posts
Search

"Statistics of Visitors to Japan from Overseas" Question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2012, 2:23 am
Original Poster

"Statistics of Visitors to Japan from Overseas" Question

http://www.tourism.jp/english/statistics/inbound.php

I am trying to use the data for an analysis, and I'm wondering if anyone can answer this for me: how do they determine where the visitor is from? Is it where they flew in from or what their passport is?

For example, if an American were to fly to Japan from Hong Kong, would he be counted as an American tourist or from Hong Kong?

Many thanks.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 2:30 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Originally Posted by CX HK
http://www.tourism.jp/english/statistics/inbound.php

I am trying to use the data for an analysis, and I'm wondering if anyone can answer this for me: how do they determine where the visitor is from? Is it where they flew in from or what their passport is?

For example, if an American were to fly to Japan from Hong Kong, would he be counted as an American tourist or from Hong Kong?
It's by nationality (i.e. what passport they entered the country on). For example, you'll notice that it lists Brazil in the Excel file, which has no direct flights to Japan.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Ah, thank you. Doing a report for Hong Kong, and now I've hit another snag considering the amount of people who use BN(O) or British/ Canadian passports.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
What about dual citizens?
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:06 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
What about dual citizens?
The answer to that is quite clear: the stats will be based on whatever nationality's passport is used to enter Japan - how would Japanese officials even know about other nationalities that a visitor might have?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.