Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

10 hours at NRT

10 hours at NRT

Old Feb 9, 2012, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E
10 hours at NRT

I've got a big ole layover on my Osaka - NRT- YVR- YYJ trip on Feb 19th and I'm looking for ideas. I've done this trip a few times but this is my first since discovering flyertalk and all the great ideas on here! I usually just hang out in the A* lounge (can't recall its name) but I'm thinking maybe I should branch out. Lounge hopping? Attempt to get into the city?

What would you do with 10 hours at NRT? Wacky suggestions welcome!
Old Feb 9, 2012, 7:39 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 2MM, AA ExPlt
I just had a similar layover

I took the train into Narita town.... looked around the shops and temple, had a nice lunch.... I ran out of things to do after about 4 hours... went back to NRT, checked out the observation deck and mall pre-security, then hung out in a few lounges. 10 hours is enough time to go into Tokyo itself... The Skyliner to Uneo is probably your best bet.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 7:46 pm

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
Yea I would go to Tokyo!
Old Feb 9, 2012, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Train or Friendly (orange) bus to the Shinjuku or Ginza for shopping or Asakusa (Sensoji) temple is nice too.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 8:00 pm

Programs: 100K
I usually stop by and get a shower at the ANA arrivals lounge right outside security at arrivals on level one.
Narita town is actually pretty nice... there's old historic part of the town and several huge temples. Great place to spend an afternoon.
Getting into Tokyo will take about an hour using the train so a day trip is doable.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
If your first trip to Tokyo I'd skip the city and just visit Narita Town if the weather's good. If you know the city, then you could spend a few hours in one of the districts and get back to the airport in time to sample the noodles at the ANA noodle bar.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, I would have taken the train from Osaka and avoided such a long delay in Tokyo. Last time we were in Japan we overnighted in hiroshima, took the train and flew to YVR on that day.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shareholder
If your first trip to Tokyo I'd skip the city and just visit Narita Town if the weather's good. If you know the city, then you could spend a few hours in one of the districts and get back to the airport in time to sample the noodles at the ANA noodle bar.
Noodle bar sounds familiar. I'm pretty sure this is the lounge I normally set up shop in. Narita town sounds pretty interesting. Is there an easy train to hop?. I've never been in to Tokyo so it'd probably be a bit much in one go, as you suggest.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 8:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

While 10 hours is probably enough to get all the way into Tokyo and see a couple things I'd probably go for Narita town and the temple there instead. Way easier and less stressed of a stopover. You can pass a few hours there without too much trouble and still have some time for a shower and lounge hopping.

If you do go into town I'd probably try to catch things winding down at Tsukiji and then over to the Imperial Palace then walk or train to the Shibuya and Harajuku districts and then back out to the airport.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 8:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by vliegle
Noodle bar sounds familiar. I'm pretty sure this is the lounge I normally set up shop in. Narita town sounds pretty interesting. Is there an easy train to hop?. I've never been in to Tokyo so it'd probably be a bit much in one go, as you suggest.
Yes, the train is super easy from the airport to the town. It is just a few minutes on the local line. I think the fare is 150 or 250 yen each way.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stranger
Actually, I would have taken the train from Osaka and avoided such a long delay in Tokyo. Last time we were in Japan we overnighted in hiroshima, took the train and flew to YVR on that day.
I'm traveling with a bunch of awkward sporting equipment otherwise I'd totally do this. I kind of love Japan though, so I don't mind hanging around a bit. This Narita town sounds interesting
Old Feb 9, 2012, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA Premiere Platinum
What do you like to do?

I, personally, would go to Tokyo and eat! Or just wander around Shibuya, visit some cafes.

If you need any food recommendations let me know -- I just wrapped up 3 months of working in Tokyo (and I made it my mission to find as much good food as possible).

Cheers,

-W
Old Feb 9, 2012, 8:59 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 2MM, AA ExPlt
Originally Posted by sbm12
Yes, the train is super easy from the airport to the town. It is just a few minutes on the local line. I think the fare is 150 or 250 yen each way.
It is 250 yen on the Keisei local line... the temple grounds are quite nice...
Narita town is nice, but it really hard to spend more than about 4 hours there.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 9:48 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Personally, I find Narita city pretty boring. But, the OP probably has closer to 6-7 hours after you factor in immigration lines, check-in buffer, etc. Subtract another 2.5 hrs R/T for the NEX and we're into the 3-4 hr timeframe.

If it's your 1st time in TYO, I wouldn't do it. If you've been there many times and know exactly where to go, I'd go for it.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 5:35 am
Original Poster

I do love to eat (ESP in Japan). Any recommendations for Narita town?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.