Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying a katana in Tokyo...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2011, 3:33 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Braindrain
The replicas I've seen are not sharpened. What you do with it when you get home is up to you.
If it's like the replica my kid got, I cannot imagine you could successfully sharpen it very well, if at all.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
This whole business of security when entering the airport is left over from some farmers who didn't want their land taken when NRT was being built, something like 25+ years ago. It survives, unnecessarily, to this day
This sounds very typical in Japan. ;-)

Maybe I should be flying UA out of KIX!

But more seriously, if anyone has any information on shipping something like this, versus carrying it on a plane, that would be useful. In the meantime, I'll see what else I can dig up.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
If it's like the replica my kid got, I cannot imagine you could successfully sharpen it very well, if at all.
That's exactly what I was thinking..
Old Aug 3, 2011, 4:04 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
I don't know if this is current but it sounds about right for Japanese bureaucracy:

http://www.jssus.org/nkp/japanese_sword_laws.html
Old Aug 4, 2011, 8:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
IMPO, unless one is a connoisseur or avid collector, spending above $7,500 (600,000) for an authentic katana when one merely wishes a display item is a bit of a waste of resources and energy, given the process one must also go though to export the item. For display, a mere souvenir / display katana made of zinc-aluminium alloy in a glass or acrylic case would serve the same purpose, unless one is entertaining / attempting to impress really knowledgeable people. (In fact, improper storage and lack of maintenance will damage the blade and decrease the value of any true nihontō - they require significant attention.)

Just my opinion...
Old Aug 6, 2011, 5:56 pm

We sell katanas every so often and it requires a lot of paper work. Alternatively, you could have it shipped to you. Many of the sword shops that cater to foreigners will really over-charge you, so be careful. As long as a sword has the proper paperwork, it can leave Japan. If you aren't sure what to do, a souvenir one is just as good and you just check those with your luggage, no issues.
You can look at katanas on our site http://www.rinkya.com/new/en/categor...yword=刀

What's real though and what is not, you have to ask.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz Platinum
I bought a replica katana once and brought it back with me as checked baggage. This was a few years ago when they X-rayed all checked baggage before you got to the check-in counter. I identified it as a katana prior to it going through the x-ray just so they wouldn't be surprised. After the x-ray, they opened the package to verify that it was a replica and not a real one that would require an export certificate. That was their only concern. I would imagine the same thing would happen these days behind the scenes since they don't x-ray prior to you checking baggage. If I were doing it today, I'd notify the check-in counter as to the contents of the box just in case there is a special procedure.

Replica or not, you definitely can't carry it on board as hand baggage, for the same reason you can't have a replica gun on board even though it can't be fired.

As to the "farmer's inspection," I've been through NRT probably 20 times and have never had myself or seen anyone else that was a foreigner had their bags inspected. The passport check at that point seems to be to verify that you AREN'T Japanese, in which case you're allowed to pass. Only if you're a Japanese national and raise suspicion might your bags be inspected at that point.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 6:09 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Steve M
....As to the "farmer's inspection," I've been through NRT probably 20 times and have never had myself or seen anyone else that was a foreigner had their bags inspected. The passport check at that point seems to be to verify that you AREN'T Japanese, in which case you're allowed to pass. Only if you're a Japanese national and raise suspicion might your bags be inspected at that point.
Unless, as I noted above, you are carrying something that looks like a sword!
Old Aug 10, 2011, 1:29 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Unless, as I noted above, you are carrying something that looks like a sword!
Hence the question "Is that a sword you're carrying or are you just pleased to see me?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.