Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

NRT overnighting transit psgrs. must have a hotel booking.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2011, 8:05 am
Original Poster

So, I had a friend fly into Japan a few months back (before the earthquake if that matters).

He flew in from Canada and his final destination was Singapore.

He had an overnight layovver at Japan. So, his plan was to just hang out at Narita. Now, what happened was that the Narita officials told him that he cant just sit around. He NEEDS to have a hotel.

He didnt want to spend any money and resisted, but they put their foot down and said, "Either pay or be deported back to Canada".

Obviously he ended up forking out the cash.

Whats up with this rule?
Old Jun 29, 2011, 8:14 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
He probably got a bad agent . He could have booked a refundable rate and refunded it after going out of the passport control area.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are some airports that 'close' thus you can't sit around in them overnight. Was that the case? I can't see how they can make you pay for a hotel room however, you could just wander the city for the night!
Old Jun 29, 2011, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emma69
There are some airports that 'close' thus you can't sit around in them overnight. Was that the case? I can't see how they can make you pay for a hotel room however, you could just wander the city for the night!
Ya that was the weird part! He said, "I'll just wander around" and they didnt agree.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 8:48 am

Could be part to help the hotels in the area but I think its more for tracking purpose if he had to leave the airport. If he would be able to stay in the airport I don't think they would have a problem with it. Like emma69 said it could be that the airport closes at night, immigration might require a destination when entering the country for control and tracking.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlexSTC
Could be part to help the hotels in the area but I think its more for tracking purpose if he had to leave the airport. If he would be able to stay in the airport I don't think they would have a problem with it. Like emma69 said it could be that the airport closes at night, immigration might require a destination when entering the country for control and tracking.
Thats true, but I like the above posters' idea. Get a reservation just to show you have one, then dont show up if you havent paid or refund it all. I doubt that the hotel will call immigration (will they even have a number?) and snitch on you.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Doesn't the US require the same - you have to list a hotel, residence, business or cruise ship when you fly down there.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 8:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Dinner recommendations: pork!
In the old days, if one had an overnight stopover on the same ticket and the stopover was the best connection, the airline would put you up in a hotel.

Once I was tempted to rent a car because car rental was less than a hotel.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Doesn't the US require the same - you have to list a hotel, residence, business or cruise ship when you fly down there.
Really? Even if you have like a Student Visa??
Old Jun 29, 2011, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by federernadal
Really? Even if you have like a Student Visa??
I don't know, I believe so - there doesn't seem to be an option to skip it when I do online check in.

I'd have thought most students coming to the US would have at least their first night planned, even if it is a hostel (they don't require a booking confirmation, just the address)
Old Jun 29, 2011, 10:26 am

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
NRT has as curfew. It's not a 24-7 operation.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 10:33 am

I don't know, I believe so - there doesn't seem to be an option to skip it when I do online check in.

I'd have thought most students coming to the US would have at least their first night planned, even if it is a hostel (they don't require a booking confirmation, just the address)
You should know the address of your school. I think they ask for your final destination within the country (for USA) please correct me if I am wrong.

In Japan you could always just write Holiday Inn or something while on the plane. I would think that if the info is there they wouldn't double check/ask about it.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 10:36 am

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by federernadal
Ya that was the weird part! He said, "I'll just wander around" and they didnt agree.
They may have mistaken "I'll just wander around" as meaning he'll just wander around the airport, not around the city.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You should know the address of your school. I think they ask for your final destination within the country (for USA) please correct me if I am wrong.

In Japan you could always just write Holiday Inn or something while on the plane. I would think that if the info is there they wouldn't double check/ask about it.
It's the first night, not where you will end up, so normally a residence, hotel, hostel etc.

I read the actual rules, and one option they give is that you can give the 'general area' if you are going to be touring

e.g. Street address: Touring the Grand Canyon
City: Grand Canyon
State: AZ

but I am guessing that may draw extra attention from the border agent - "well where do you think you are going to sleep, you can't just kip in the Canyon you know" etc etc. It might also prompt them to ask you for proof of sufficient funds (and if you don't have them, they could assume that you will need to work (illegally) to pay your way etc).
Old Jun 29, 2011, 11:01 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Wiirachay
NRT has as curfew. It's not a 24-7 operation.
I think this is the issue. 2008 was my first transit through NRT. BWi-DFW-NRT-BKK. We overnighted in NRT and had a hotel. Due to time difference etc, we went to the airport early to get some food and checkout the scene--I love airports. IIRC, you could get in the front doors, but the airport did not open until 7am. I am sure they clear out airside when flights are finished for the evening. Its probably just not expected for such a large global hub airport to close at night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.