Wiki Posts
Search

Overnight connection at NRT - help!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2011, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Overnight connection at NRT - help!!!

Will be flying AA metal and then connecting to JL via NRT. However I will be having an overnight connection. I've never actually "stayed" in Tokyo. Since my connection is early in the AM, what's the closest/best solution for my inconvenient overnight connection at NRT? Any solutions will be much appreciated!
Old Jan 20, 2011, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT PPE, Arise Mucci des Hommes de Fer
Originally Posted by ddsohn
Will be flying AA metal and then connecting to JL via NRT. However I will be having an overnight connection. I've never actually "stayed" in Tokyo. Since my connection is early in the AM, what's the closest/best solution for my inconvenient overnight connection at NRT? Any solutions will be much appreciated!
I would check out the JAL hotel, which is at NRT.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 12:57 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are a dozen or so hotels very close to NRT. Use one of the many online travel sites to search for a room.

Last edited by HNL; Jan 20, 2011 at 1:02 pm
Old Jan 20, 2011, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Bunch of options. Hilton Narita, ANA Intercontinental Hotel Narita, etc.

My vote would be to the Comfort Inn at Narita. Right next to Keisei Narita station (8 min direct train ride from NRT) and within walking distance to the Narita-san Temple which you can visit during your layover. ^
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
I usually stay at the Holiday Inn, which I believe is the closest hotel to the airport. They have a free shuttle service, and the hotel is very comfortable and (usually) very inexpensive.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
There's also a Hilton, Crowne Plaza, and several other hotels in and around Narita.

How early is your connecting flight?

I'm doing an overnight at NRT next week also, arriving around 3pm on AA connecting on JL down to SIN the next day around 10am. I've done this several times, it's plenty of time to go into the city and have a nice night in Tokyo before heading back to NRT the next morning.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 12:59 pm

I stayed at the Hotel Marroad when we were stuck in NRT overnight. We got the distressed rate, and it was $50 per person. They charged per person, even though we only got one room.

The hotel was okay. It looked old and worn out, but still clean in the rooms. The eating area downstairs was relatively empty except for some smokers that made my dinner unappetizing.

It's close to the airport. There is a shuttle bus from the airport to the hotel.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
I'll be doing this Saturday night. Your major options are to either stay somewhere very close to the airport with a free shuttle, or take the Keisei for a 5min train ride into Narita town.

Holiday Inn is very close and very cheap (Y9000/night usually) with good sized rooms and free shuttle from NRT.

There are plenty of options in Narita town. The Comfort Inn is very cheap (I think I paid Y6500/night) but rooms are small. I often prefer the train ride into Narita as it's quicker and more frequent than each hotel's shuttle.

Overnight in NRT is one of the least painful in the world owing to good transport, good choice, and very inexpensive rates. That's good for AA Asia flyers since codeshares on JL are often so maddeningly inconvenient:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ng-scarce.html

If the connection is long enough, take the Narita Express to Shinjuku and stay around there (I recommend Hotel Century Southern Tower).

Question: Has anyone walked to a hotel from the terminal? Some look close enough on the map but I've never tried it and don't know if there's any pedestrian access.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by brenc3
Question: Has anyone walked to a hotel from the terminal? Some look close enough on the map but I've never tried it and don't know if there's any pedestrian access.
I doubt that it's possible as there's a gated security check before entering and leaving the NRT airport area in general.

edit: Scratch that, seems like it is possible.

One Japanese person tried that after several failed attempts as he always hit a roadblock or a fence and could not enter the airport compounds. He was finally able to walk to Narita from East Narita station, which no one (lest locals) ever use.

If you can read Japanese and wish to do something to kill time at Narita, this could be a way to do so: figure out how to walk to Narita from East Narita Sta.

Who knows? There might be a hidden gem of a place to sleep or kill time there?

How to walk to Narita Airport from East Narita Sta. (in Japanese)
http://portal.nifty.com/2008/02/18/c/index.htm

Very interesting notes about Higashi-Narita Sta. Seems like this was the original Narita Airport Sta. that was opened back in 1978 before there was a direct line into the airport. Kinda similar to the Aviation Sta. of the Green Line at LAX: people would get off here as the terminus and take a shuttle bus to the airport. A direct line to the airport was built in 1991 so this station has gradually diminished as a train station for passengers and has since then been used for people who work at Narita.

The area surrounding the station includes the Narita Airport Police Sta., Narita Airport Post Office, the control tower, TFK (the company that makes inflight meals for JAL), a Narita Airport resthouse hotel, cargo terminals, customs and plant and wildlife facilities and animal control.

Those that want a different taste of Narita might seek out this resthouse that you can get to/from Narita by foot

Last edited by kebosabi; Jan 20, 2011 at 2:48 pm
Old Jan 20, 2011, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Can I tag onto this and ask about HND? I have a 6:40am HND-JFK and was hoping to stay on property. The Japan forum isn't very specific around ease of connection to AA terminal.

Thanks!
Tyler
Old Jan 20, 2011, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543
Can I tag onto this and ask about HND? I have a 6:40am HND-JFK and was hoping to stay on property. The Japan forum isn't very specific around ease of connection to AA terminal.

Thanks!
Tyler
Take the last train into HND the day before (somewhere close to midnight) and stay at HND. It has a 24 hr food court or do some night-time plane spotting from the observation deck. You'll have 4-5 hrs to kill until check-in counters to open.

Also there is no AA terminal at HND. It'll be the new int'l terminal that opened Oct of last year.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by kebosabi
Take the last train into HND the day before (somewhere close to midnight) and stay at HND. It has a 24 hr food court or do some night-time plane spotting from the observation deck. You'll have 4-5 hrs to kill until check-in counters to open.
If I was by myself, this would be perfect advice. Unfortunately I'll be with my wife and in-laws who are...less...adventurous.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543
If I was by myself, this would be perfect advice. Unfortunately I'll be with my wife and in-laws who are...less...adventurous.
Yes there are plenty of options around HND like the Tokyu Excel (next to T2 of HND) or the Hotel JAL City (10 min by shuttle bus). This would be the best and safest bet if travelling with others who are less adventurous.

The problem with the AA HND-JFK flight is that it leaves too early in the morning and the trains in Tokyo don't run 24 hrs. It's either get into HND the night before which is just around midnight, or take the first train in which starts running again around 4:30-5:00, which is cutting a bit too close for check-in and departure.

I can see why AA is having trouble with this route.

Last edited by kebosabi; Jan 20, 2011 at 3:29 pm
Old Jan 20, 2011, 3:39 pm

Programs: A lowly AA Ruby
I stayed at the Narita View hotel when I was there a couple of years ago. I enjoyed my stay there. They offer a free shuttle to the airport and they also shuttle to the JR Narita station, and you can also get to the Keisei line from there as well.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Thanks for all the great advice! Appreciate the inputs since I've never had to "stay" at NRT. JL overhauling its flights due to the bankruptcy is a starting to make a significant impact on people trying to connect in NRT/HND. Hopefully the JBA will make a significant difference!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.