Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JR Pass Green or Regular?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2010, 2:18 pm

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
For the trips you have in mind, you cannot reserve until you arrive in Japan. You can make the bookings at the JR office at NRT when you arrive.

You will be a bit better with a green car pass, but during peak seasons, even the green cars get crowded I hear.

Really tight schedule, and I bet Disneyland will also be a real zoo, you won't get on many rides in that short a time. Might consider spending the night of Dec 31 at one of the hotels at Disneyland to get an earlier start. You can get there from NRT but have to transfer so plan that all out in advance, it's not totally trivial.

Also, why not stay in Kyoto if you aren't interested in Osaka?
Just seemed easier to get direct trains from Osaka. If we decide to go to Disneyland, we will spend Jan 2 in Osaka chillaxing. I agree that the itinerary seems a little too nutty.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN, 7G, SPG (for now)
Originally Posted by Scott218
Travelling with another person, we will be arriving in Tokyo right on the Dec 31. Given the heavy travelling during the New Year period, would we be better off getting the JR Rail Green Pass?
To be honest, it won't matter. The Green cars are going to be packed too, although there won't be as many people standing in the aisles.

We are currently planning the following itinerary:
Dec 31 - NRT -> Tokyo
Jan 1 - Tokyo -> Disneyland (early morning) -> Osaka (late afternoon)
Jan 3 - Osaka -> Kyoto (day trip)
Jan 4 - Osaka -> Hiroshima (day trip) -> Tokyo

Also, is there a way I can pre-reserve seats on these routes? Thanks.
That is a lot of ground you're trying to cover in a really compressed schedule.

The only segment you can reserve with the JR rail pass online is the Dec. 31st N'Ex from Narita to Tokyo. All others will need to wait until after you arrive (and little chance that you will get the reservations).
Old Dec 9, 2010, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz Platinum
Jan 1 - Tokyo -> Disneyland (early morning) -> Osaka (late afternoon)
There's something you should be aware about Tokyo Disneyland on NYE: They have a special "Countdown" ceremony where they close the park to regular guests and you have to have a special NYE ticket and they count down to midnight. The park (actually DisneySea as well) then stays open all night and until normal closing at 10pm on Jan 1st.

The thing is, the opening time for regular day guests (that is, those with regular tickets for Jan 1, and not those with the NYE special event tickets) is set early at 2am for that one day of the year only. So, you can arrive as early as 2am on Jan 1, buy a regular ticket, and stay as late as 10pm. And, they keep all of the rides operating the entire time. There are a great deal of people that leave after midnight, and those that want to stay all through 10pm on the 1st have to catch a few hours of sleep, so reportedly the rides have very little wait time in the early morning hours of Jan 1. Although the regular hours of Jan 1 may be packed, a really early morning arrival may be a unique opportunity to get a lot done at Tokyo Disneyland without much waiting, and it might fit perfectly with your schedule.

Also, IIRC the night of Dec 31st/Jan 1st is the only night of the year where the JR lines in the Tokyo area run all night long and into the next day, so transport is not an issue either.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by railroadtycoon
Except that the vast majority of trains on that route (Sanyo Shinkansen) with a green car are Nozomi Trains (cannot ride with the regular JR Pass).

The train you can ride with the JR Pass "Hikari RailStar" has no green car.

The exception being the one regularly scheduled Hikari in either direction.
Don't disagree with you in terms of frequency but I was able to do all my trips in June 2009 using Hikari services in the Green Car without too much trouble.

Having a look at the JR Central timetables you can get H491/493 from Kyoto in the morning and H490 back from Hiroshima in the evening.

Best of all is that you're on the N700 which is noticeably nicer than the earlier series trains.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 5:11 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
I was just at the station glancing through random dates from the 21st - 28th of December (this month) a lot of open available seats in the ordinary car for those dates for the OP.

For megatoplover, I did a search real fast for you too, on the 29th trains going from Nagano to Tokyo, at the moment both Ordinary Cars and Green cars show many openings, but things can change quickly the next few days, though generally speaking, I find that more people are leaving Tokyo for the holidays then coming into Tokyo. All trains on JR East are non-smoking.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 1:09 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ninja138
....The only segment you can reserve with the JR rail pass online is the Dec. 31st N'Ex from Narita to Tokyo. All others will need to wait until after you arrive (and little chance that you will get the reservations).
I don't believe you can reserve even that segment in advance online (for all practical purposes). Last time I checked, if you use the online reservation feature offered by JR East you have to pick up the tickets in person at a JR ticket office by 9pm of the night BEFORE you want to travel.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 9:10 am

Programs: UA, AA, WN, 7G, SPG (for now)
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I don't believe you can reserve even that segment in advance online (for all practical purposes). Last time I checked, if you use the online reservation feature offered by JR East you have to pick up the tickets in person at a JR ticket office by 9pm of the night BEFORE you want to travel.
Ah, good point. I forgot about that.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 8:01 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Thank you, railroadtycoon. If I were to buy the pass now, before leaving for Japan, how would I go about getting confirmed reservations on specific trains?

The Nagano Shinkansen and N'Ex on Dec. 29 seem to be the trains of greatest import, to avoid being frozen out and missing our flight.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 1:47 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Thank you, railroadtycoon. If I were to buy the pass now, before leaving for Japan, how would I go about getting confirmed reservations on specific trains?

The Nagano Shinkansen and N'Ex on Dec. 29 seem to be the trains of greatest import, to avoid being frozen out and missing our flight.
http://jreast-shinkansen-reservation...menu/menu.aspx

The system is a tad confusing on the part where it says "Seats/Options" it only says Green(First-Class). This doesn't mean the ordinary car is sold out, it just means there's an option for the green car on the train, later on it will ask if you want an ordinary car or green car seat.

In addition to the Narita Express, there's also the regular JR Narita Rapid train (a regular unreserved commuter train that operates about once per hour) and there's also the Keisei Limited Express, Keisei Sky Access Express, Keisei Skyliner and Keisei CityLiner trains that all go to Narita Airport (via Ueno/Nippori Stations). You can't use the JR pass with the Keisei trains, but I just wanted to point them out in case of any worst case scenarios (the Nagano Shinkansen also stops at Ueno Station, where a change to the Keisei Skyliner at Keisei Ueno is possible).

Last edited by railroadtycoon; Dec 11, 2010 at 2:01 pm
Old Dec 11, 2010, 3:06 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Again, you typically cannot reserve the N'Ex in advance because reserved tickets must be picked up by 9pm of the day PRIOR to travel. Nor would you normally want to -- if your flight is late or the line at immigration is long, you miss the train (although the ticket is still valid for standing room for the rest of the day).

You could reserve the Nagano shinkansen starting the day after arrival and pick the tickets up when you collect the pass at Narita airport.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 3:27 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Yes it is not practical for him to reserve tickets on the 25th for the NEX when he comes in. But for him to get reservations going back to Tokyo & Narita Airport for the 29th from Nagano is practical in my opinion since the 29th is the day things start to get crazy transportation wise.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Anything I should be aware of that would make me change my mind? Such as, say, no Green Car on the train to Aomori? From my research, I recall seeing Green Cars on all of these trains. Will have luggage on the ride to/from Karuizawa and the N'Ex. No luggage, just sightseeing rides, on the trains to Niigata and Aomori.
There should be Green Cars on all these trains, and they are indeed more comfortable than ordinary ones.

On the Shinkansen, you get more space and a better recline (must be like 135 degrees). On Limited Express trains, you often get a much nicer interior in addition to better seats, and sometimes you get a nice view ahead since the green car is often the first car of the train with just a glass wall separating you from the train driver. On some local trains in the Tokyo area, a green car (no reservation needed) means you get to sit in comfort while ordinary cars look like sardine cans.

Note that a Green Car rail pass does not always guarantee a reservation - a few times I was forced to sit in ordinary cars, because the few green cars were booked out.

There are no Green Cars on the Shinkansen west of Osaka (except for Nozomi trains which cannot be used with JR pass), on many trains in Hokkaido and on most local trains outside of Tokyo.

A good website for checking Japanese train timetables is http://www.hyperdia.com/

I am surprised to read about smoking cars. Hasn't smoking been banned on the Shinkansen 3 years ago?
Old Dec 11, 2010, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
I am surprised to read about smoking cars. Hasn't smoking been banned on the Shinkansen 3 years ago?
JR East banned smoking, including on the Shinkansen it operates (which are all that depart to the north from Tokyo). However, the Tokaido Shinkansen between Osaka and Tokyo is operated by JR Central (including the portion from their regular territory boundary to Tokyo Station), which still allows smoking in designated cars.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 5:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Just some findings after my 6 days of JR Pass all around JR East and JR Hokkaido

- Research the train name (and best, the train number) before taking the trip helps A LOT. I basically hand them a sheet of all my trains names and all tickets were issued within 15 minute. This can easily done before hand with Google Map / Hyperdia

However, staff will be kind of clueless if the train is outside their primary area (e.g. booking a Konami Shikansen from Tokyo to Akita followed by some stupid resort car train @ Sapporo Reservation Office)

- Changing to an earlier train is basically effortless (except the line, especially in Tokyo area). I will say not worth the troble if it's just a short ride. Remember people with JR pass can ride on limited express without the "limited express ticket"

- I once lost my reserved seat ticket when I transit at Shin-Aomori from Hakodate, getting another ticket is super simple ... I just say "next train sendai" that's it

- On Chuo Line they have some express train to Shinjuku, which can be pretty comfortable to escape from crowd and can nap on these.

- They have 700 series train with Green Car even on Kodama

- The E2 shikansen is rather uncomfortable in their 5-across configuration. I will suggest to take E3 ones (Kodama) unless you going to Hachinohe / Aomori
Old Dec 18, 2010, 9:22 am

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Thanks for the report, ChrisLi.

Originally Posted by ChrisLi
However, staff will be kind of clueless if the train is outside their primary area (e.g. booking a Konami Shikansen from Tokyo to Akita followed by some stupid resort car train @ Sapporo Reservation Office)

- The E2 shikansen is rather uncomfortable in their 5-across configuration. I will suggest to take E3 ones (Kodama) unless you going to Hachinohe / Aomori
I guess you mean Komachi.

If there is anyone interested in how the Shinkansen is named Komachi, please read the following.

---
Akita Shinkansen Komachi is named after Ono no Komachi (小野 小町, c. 825 – c. 900) , a famous Japanese waka poet known as a ultra-beautiful lady.

Let me introduce one of her waka. This is taught in Jr. high here and almost all the Japanese people know about it. I can recite it.

Hana no iro wa
Utsurinikeri na
Itazura ni
Wa ga mi yo ni furu
Nagame seshi ma ni

The flowers withered
Their color faded away
While meaninglessly
I spent my days in the world
And the long rains were falling
-Translation Donald Keene

Everyone gets old however beautiful one has been.

Wikipedia : Ono no Komachi
Some more translations of her romantic waka by someone at Washburn U.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.