Reload this Page >

First Trip Questions Itinerary.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Trip Questions Itinerary.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2010, 5:28 pm

sorry to hijack your thread but i'm in the same situation. i didn't want to open another thread just to discuss the same topic.

So i'll be traveling from tokyo > kyoto > osaka for 2 weeks with 1 week being in tokyo and the other in kyoto/osaka so am i better off buying 7 days or 14 days JR pass? I heard in kyoto the main transportation is buses so it's such a waste to get the JR pass but the trip from tokyo-kyoto can cost about the same without the pass. so any suggestions?
Old Nov 21, 2010, 6:40 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by rulan
suggestions?
Get a 7-day pass and fit your long distance travel into seven calendar days. If you use the pass for Tokyo-Kyoto, Kyoto-Tokyo and Tokyo-NRT, it's more than worth it.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:06 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by rulan
... So i'll be traveling from tokyo > kyoto > osaka for 2 weeks with 1 week being in tokyo and the other in kyoto/osaka so am i better off buying 7 days or 14 days JR pass? ... from tokyo-kyoto can cost about the same without the pass. so any suggestions?
This depends on what other rail travel you will have. Where are you departing Japan from? You don't mention that.

If you will be traveling Tokyo-Kyoto AND Kyoto-Tokyo within a 7 day period with some other train travel during the 7 days, then the 7-day Rail Pass is probably worth it. If you can also include the Narita Express from Tokyo out to NRT on your departure day in the 7 days, then it is definitely worth it.

On the other hand, if you are not returning from Kyoto to Tokyo but instead departing from KIX, then the Pass is probably not worth it. Round trip Tokyo-Kyoto-Tokyo plus other travel - yes. Oneway Tokyo-Kyoto plus some other travel - probably not.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 7:25 pm

thanks a lot for the suggestion and i did forget to mention that I'm arriving in haneda and leaving the same airport.

so arrive haneda> spend 1 week in tokyo> 1 week in kyoto > back to haneda.

while in tokyo will i need to use the JR pass to get around or do i use other forms?
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:37 pm

In your place, I'd activate the Rail Pass for the last 7 days of my stay - to cover the roundtrip Tokyo-Kyoto-Tokyo plus miscellaneous train travel such as Nara, Osaka, Hiroshima, etc. For the first period in Tokyo, I'd purchase Suica subway pass, which is also good on many local trains.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum-2 MM Starwood Plat,Delta DM
Originally Posted by railroadtycoon
The JR west pass WILL NOT cover from Tokyo to points west. The Sanyo JR West pass only covers from Osaka to points west on JR West trains.

Getting the "regular" full 7 day Japan Rail Pass is your best bet to cover from Tokyo to any other part of Japan then back to Tokyo and NRT.
Thanks railroadtycoon for all the valuable advice!

Rob
Old Nov 23, 2010, 4:33 am

hi all,

can i ask if i can take unlimited shinkansen trip with this 7 day JR pass? thanks

The 7 Day JR Pass will allow you to ride the Shinkansen (the bullet train).

For the route from Tokyo to Kyoto there are three services of Shinkansen
1. Nozomi
2. Hikari
3. Kodama

Nozomi is the most frequent but you cannot use the JR pass with the Nozomi Shinkansen.

You can however use the Hikari Shinkansen, there are about two Hikaris per hour between Tokyo and Kyoto, you can make free reservations with your JR pass. You can pull up schedules using http://www.hyperdia.com (in advanced options UNCHECK NOZOMI). Ignore all the fares, you don't pay them with the JR Pass.

Kyoto - Nara is rapid trains no reservations, just show your JR pass when using JR trains.

Kyoto-Osaka, you can use JR Special Rapid trains on this section, again just show your JR Pass. You can also use the Hikari or Kodama Shinkansen between Kyoto and ShinOsaka Station, the trip is so short between Kyoto and ShinOsaka you could probably just opt for the unreserved section of the train (the shinkansen has both RESERVED and UNRESERVED) sections.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 7:55 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
Originally Posted by shakiraa
hi all,

can i ask if i can take unlimited shinkansen trip with this 7 day JR pass? thanks
You can ride the Shinkansen 1 million times if you want. The pass is unlimited in the number of rides.

Just remember you cannot use the Nozomi Shinkansen.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 5:03 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
You can ride the Shinkansen 1 million times if you want.
It would take about 9 years of continuous riding to do one million iterations of the shortest Shinkansen journey I can think of ... but I take your point.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by jib71
It would take about 9 years of continuous riding to do one million iterations of the shortest Shinkansen journey ...
Too much time on your hands?
Old Nov 24, 2010, 10:26 pm

You can ride the Shinkansen 1 million times if you want. The pass is unlimited in the number of rides.

Just remember you cannot use the Nozomi Shinkansen.
thanks for your response

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.