Wiki Posts
Search

First Trip Questions Itinerary.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2010, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum-2 MM Starwood Plat,Delta DM
First Trip Questions Itinerary.

This is my first trip to Japan. I will be there for two weeks. I already have 6 days mapped out in Tokyo for things we will do. I will be in Japan the last two weeks of December but return home before new years. I was planning a trip to Kyoto for a few days (dont know how long?) with a side trip to Osaka for a day or so? What else should I consider doing or staying. I will be flying back out of Narita. I will need to get a 7 day train pass to go to Kyoto etc. I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions. I would also like to spend 1-2 nights in a Ryokan. Appreciate any advice.

Rob
Old Nov 18, 2010, 12:49 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
If you do go to Kyoto/Osaka I suggest you do it on your first half of the trip, the end of December, immediately right before New Year, traveling across the country becomes more difficult, as trains travel beyond full capacity, and it would be virtually impossible to get a seat reservation on certain days, it's one of the busiest times of year to travel (the dates around New Year). So if you do it the week before New Year and travel back to Tokyo and spend your final week in Tokyo it works out better since you are flying out of NRT.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by railroadtycoon
If you do go to Kyoto/Osaka I suggest you do it on your first half of the trip, the end of December, immediately right before New Year, traveling across the country becomes more difficult, as trains travel beyond full capacity, and it would be virtually impossible to get a seat reservation on certain days, it's one of the busiest times of year to travel (the dates around New Year). So if you do it the week before New Year and travel back to Tokyo and spend your final week in Tokyo it works out better since you are flying out of NRT.
Unfortunately I have already made solid plans to start the trip in Tokyo so I dont have any flexibility in changing that part of the trip. I may have to adjust my plans because of this.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 12:59 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
What dates do you plan on going to Kyoto and back to Tokyo?
Old Nov 18, 2010, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

What dates do you plan on going to Kyoto and back to Tokyo?
I am flying back on Dec 28th. Now I could be coming back to Tokyo from Kyoto or somewhere else depending how I spend the second week of my trip. I dont have any exact dates plans for the second week.

Rob
Old Nov 18, 2010, 1:08 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

You should be ok on travel then, you're leaving right before the masses start.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

You should be ok on travel then, you're leaving right before the masses start.
What sort of train ticket do I need for the travel between kyoto/osaka/nara =, it that the 7 day JR pass. Is that train considered the bullet train?

Robert
Old Nov 18, 2010, 1:33 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

The 7 Day JR Pass will allow you to ride the Shinkansen (the bullet train).

For the route from Tokyo to Kyoto there are three services of Shinkansen
1. Nozomi
2. Hikari
3. Kodama

Nozomi is the most frequent but you cannot use the JR pass with the Nozomi Shinkansen.

You can however use the Hikari Shinkansen, there are about two Hikaris per hour between Tokyo and Kyoto, you can make free reservations with your JR pass. You can pull up schedules using http://www.hyperdia.com (in advanced options UNCHECK NOZOMI). Ignore all the fares, you don't pay them with the JR Pass.

Kyoto - Nara is rapid trains no reservations, just show your JR pass when using JR trains.

Kyoto-Osaka, you can use JR Special Rapid trains on this section, again just show your JR Pass. You can also use the Hikari or Kodama Shinkansen between Kyoto and ShinOsaka Station, the trip is so short between Kyoto and ShinOsaka you could probably just opt for the unreserved section of the train (the shinkansen has both RESERVED and UNRESERVED) sections.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Can I can use the JR trains from Tokyo to Kamakura also?

Rob
Old Nov 18, 2010, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN, 7G, SPG (for now)
Kyoto-Osaka, you can use JR Special Rapid trains on this section, again just show your JR Pass. You can also use the Hikari or Kodama Shinkansen between Kyoto and ShinOsaka Station, the trip is so short between Kyoto and ShinOsaka you could probably just opt for the unreserved section of the train (the shinkansen has both RESERVED and UNRESERVED) sections.
Although you can hop on a Shinkansen from Kyoto to ShinOsaka, I find it pointless since you save only 10 minutes at most. You usually end up jumping on the same Special Rapid at ShinOsaka to complete the journey to Osaka station.

Whether the JR rail network suits your needs inside of Kansai depends on where you stay and where you want to go. The private rail networks are a lot more extensive compared to JR in Kyoto/Osaka/Kobe area (as opposed to Tokyo metro area). It may be more convenient to take the Hankyu or Keihan expresses.

Originally Posted by robertw477
Can I can use the JR trains from Tokyo to Kamakura also?
Yes, although whether the entire journey will be on JR depends on your departure point inside of Tokyo.

Last edited by ninja138; Nov 18, 2010 at 3:04 pm
Old Nov 18, 2010, 3:05 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Yes I to would recommend the Special Rapid between Kyoto and Osaka as the overall time difference is not that great if you were paying for it. But since you have a JR pass, it's nice to ride in the comfortable Shinkansen even for the short distance sometimes then changing at ShinOsaka to the Subway line or JR line (depending on where in Osaka you want to go,subways not covered by JR pass) (ah I wish I could use a JR pass again, but not with my current status). Sometimes those special rapid trains are jammed packed with commuters.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN, 7G, SPG (for now)
Yes I to would recommend the Special Rapid between Kyoto and Osaka as the overall time difference is not that great if you were paying for it. But since you have a JR pass, it's nice to ride in the comfortable Shinkansen even for the short distance sometimes then changing at ShinOsaka to the Subway line or JR line (depending on where in Osaka you want to go,subways not covered by JR pass) (ah I wish I could use a JR pass again, but not with my current status). Sometimes those special rapid trains are jammed packed with commuters.
Point taken. If you are still like the cool factor of riding a bullet train (however briefly), just go to ShinOsaka and change trains. Another option to consider is taking one of the limited expresses that do their last leg of their run from Kyoto to Osaka (the JR rail pass allows the non-reserved seating for free). The Shinano/Hida Wideview trains are a favorite of mine.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

I was checking out the kintetsu.com website for info on the JR trains. According to what I see if I travel Tokyo to Kyoto, Kobe, Nara, Hiroshima, Osaka, Kansai I will only need the JR west ticket. They sell that ticket as an 8day pass. Is this correct. I want to make sure I buy the correct ticket.

Rob
Old Nov 21, 2010, 1:07 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

I was checking out the kintetsu.com website for info on the JR trains. According to what I see if I travel Tokyo to Kyoto, Kobe, Nara, Hiroshima, Osaka, Kansai I will only need the JR west ticket. They sell that ticket as an 8day pass. Is this correct. I want to make sure I buy the correct ticket.

Rob

The JR west pass WILL NOT cover from Tokyo to points west. The Sanyo JR West pass only covers from Osaka to points west on JR West trains.

Getting the "regular" full 7 day Japan Rail Pass is your best bet to cover from Tokyo to any other part of Japan then back to Tokyo and NRT.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 1:23 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
I was checking out the kintetsu.com website for info on the JR trains.
The JR pass map on that site is wrong. It displays a shaded area which has nothing to do with the validity of the JR West pass. (JR East pass map is also highly misleading). FWIW, JR West pass will not get you very much further East than Kyoto.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.