Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your favorite Tokyo hotel

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2010, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Justme123456
I've stayed at the Prince Akasaka Hotel more than a few times and loved it. Bigger rooms, bigger bathrooms (as in normal-ish sized Western bathrooms ) and spectacular skyline views (particularly anything above floor 30). The bar/restaurant on the top floor also offers great views while having a nightcap. You can usually secure a room for about ~130k Y/Per Night. And if you sign up for the Prince Hotel Club (which is free) you are granted a fairly significant savings, to boot.
130*1k=
Old Nov 11, 2010, 7:25 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by pogonation
Park Hyatt is a fantastic hotel in Tokyo. Really good location
Yes, in an office park devoid of life after sunset.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 8:00 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mosburger
Yes, in an office park devoid of life after sunset.
Keep this up, and I may eventually conclude that you don't like the place!

So Shiodome, where some other luxury hotels are, is a hotbed of nighttime excitement, then?
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:20 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
So Shiodome, where some other luxury hotels are, is a hotbed of nighttime excitement, then?
On balance, I prefer soulless Shiodome to soulless Nishi Shinjuku, but that's just a preference for a shiny new office park over a less shiny, less new one...

For five-star accommodations with a nice-to-stroll area immediately outside, then the Peninsula might be the best option. Unfortunately, the challenges of inserting a huge, de-luxe hotel into a city like Tokyo mean that they're very often somewhat removed from the most gemütlich neighbourhoods.

Perhaps someone else has other suggestions.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 3:23 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
The immediate neighbourhood of the Park Hyatt suffers rather by comparison with that of its sister hotel, the Grand Hyatt.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by NickW
The immediate neighbourhood of the Park Hyatt suffers rather by comparison with that of its sister hotel, the Grand Hyatt.
Good point. Grand Hyatt and Ritz Carlton have fancy, up-market, cities-within-cities on their doorsteps. Those malls may feel a little artificial, but they're good.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 4:11 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jib71
Good point. Grand Hyatt and Ritz Carlton have fancy, up-market, cities-within-cities on their doorsteps. Those malls may feel a little artificial, but they're good.
Well, if you prefer something a little more "authentic", it's an easy stroll from the Grand Hyatt into Azabujuban or Hiroo as well.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by NickW
Well, if you prefer something a little more "authentic", it's an easy stroll from the Grand Hyatt into Azabujuban or Hiroo as well.
Sure. I was just thinking of what's "on the doorstep".
Old Nov 12, 2010, 6:02 am

BTW, if you're an Old, the Grand Hyatt is very affordable indeed -- 21,000 most nights, 24,600 on Saturdays. (>62, rate is fully cancelable.)
Old Nov 14, 2010, 3:59 pm

Programs: MM / UA 1K
It's been a few years but I used to like staying in an updated room at the Miyako Hotel in Shirokanedai. It's not too far from transportation but being surrounded by parks it's an unusually calm locale despite being within the Yamanote line.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 3:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Honors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by jib71
I suggest the Marunouchi Hotel.
(1) About as well located as it's possible to be in the Tokyo station area
(2) Way cheaper than the de-luxe properties
(3) Quite fancy looking - although room sizes are really just "high end bijiness hotel"
The Hotel METROPOLITAN Marunouchi is only a few short steps futher away (out the nihonbashi exit at the far end of the station instead of out the Marunouchi exit in the middle) and it seems as nice (or nicer to me) and is significantly less expensive (18K vs 27.9K on my last trips)
Old Nov 16, 2010, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by travellerK
The Hotel METROPOLITAN Marunouchi is only a few short steps futher away (out the nihonbashi exit at the far end of the station instead of out the Marunouchi exit in the middle) and it seems as nice (or nicer to me) and is significantly less expensive (18K vs 27.9K on my last trips)
For 18k, these days you can generally get a room at the Hyatt Regency, Hilton, or Keio Plaza in Shinjuku and maybe even the Imperial near Ginza. Why settle for a business hotel?
Old Nov 16, 2010, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
For 18k, these days you can generally get a room at the Hyatt Regency, Hilton, or Keio Plaza in Shinjuku and maybe even the Imperial near Ginza. Why settle for a business hotel?
The price I see on Hyatt website is 23,100 Yen for a king room for 2 people. Is this the lowest rate I'll find?

Outside of this hotel, I was also thinking about the Shinjuku Prince or Akasaka Prince.

Thanks

OP
Old Nov 18, 2010, 6:04 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
My vote is for the Grand Hyatt... I'd choose that over the Park even - and it's cheaper. Not cheap, but cheaper.

Hilton in Shinjuku is ok. Personally, I'd avoid the Hyatt Regency and any Prince hotel at all costs based on bad experiences previously.

Intercontinental at ARK Hills may be a good alternative to the Grand Hyatt if the GH rate is too high.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by inthemix
The price I see on Hyatt website is 23,100 Yen for a king room for 2 people. Is this the lowest rate I'll find?

Outside of this hotel, I was also thinking about the Shinjuku Prince or Akasaka Prince.

Thanks

OP
Usually not, there are lots of deals around. I don't stay at this hotel so I don't know where to find those rates, but you might ask on the Hyatt forum where rates starting at Y14,000 a night have been reported recently. Of course, you might have picked a busy time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.