Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Need advise for 7-day trip to Japan. Tokyo only or Tokyo/Kyoto?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2010, 1:10 am
Original Poster

Hi all. I'm going to Japan from 8/27-9/3 (first time), and I'm trying to decide if I should spend all 7 days in Tokyo and surrounding area, or split it between Tokyo and Kyoto.

Originally I planned to spend 3 days in Tokyo, 2 days in Kyoto, and 2 days in Osaka, but I did not realize that the train tickets are ~$150 each way between cities, and I don't want to spend too much time in a train, so I will either stay in Tokyo only this time, and visit the other places next time (if I save up enough money...), or spend 3 days in Tokyo first, 2 days in Kyoto, and the last couple days back in Tokyo. I'm sure there's plenty to do in Tokyo to keep me busy for 7 days, but I feel like I should at least visit another place because I paid the ticket to go to Japan already, just not sure if it's worth the extra $600 train ticket for two people. Another thing to consider is the weather. I read that late August early September is hot and humid, and I plan to rent a bike and cycle around Kyoto.

As far as lodging is concerned, I have 5 free hotel nights with Hyatt, so I'm not too concerned.

I'd like to hear what your experience to Japan was like. How did you allocate your days in Japan and your reasoning behind it. Any recommendations and tips are also greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance!

Last edited by Loc13; Jul 12, 2010 at 2:10 am
Old Jul 12, 2010, 3:45 am

Programs: UA, Hilton
Osaka and Kyoto have different culture than Tokyo and are worth visiting,
but if cost and time to go there are your concern, I'd recommend Kamakura,
which is just an hour train ride from Tokyo (around $10 for o/w ticket).
Kamakura used to be capital of Japan ~800 years ago and many temples
and shrines. Yokohama is also worth visiting (just 20min from Tokyo).
Old Jul 12, 2010, 10:39 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

If this is your first trip to Japan and likely to be your last for a while, I would go to both Tokyo and Kyoto. You don't need to add Osaka as it is a short, cheap commute from Kyoto. Buy a 7 day JR pass. Use your free nights at the HR Kyoto (which lately has often been charging more than the Tokyo Hyatts) and the balance in Tokyo.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 12:56 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
If this is your first trip to Japan and likely to be your last for a while, I would go to both Tokyo and Kyoto. You don't need to add Osaka as it is a short, cheap commute from Kyoto. Buy a 7 day JR pass. Use your free nights at the HR Kyoto (which lately has often been charging more than the Tokyo Hyatts) and the balance in Tokyo.
Agreed, but to add, stay in Kyoto at least 3 nights, not 2. There is a lot to see in Kyoto/Nara/Osaka. You really can't do it justice in only 2 days.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Actually, you don't need to add Osaka if your aim is to see as many different kinds of things as possible. Tokyo and Kyoto are the "must sees," and the Shinkansen train ride between them gives you a good glimpse of the countryside and some of the smaller workaday cities.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 2:22 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold/UA Mileage Plus Premier 1K
I did a similar thing last Spring, as a first time visitor to Japan and unsure of when I could return. Split between Tokyo and Kyoto. You'll want more time in both and you'll be happy you did both. Shinkansen trip was VERY convenient.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 1:02 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for your input! My travel partner has decided she wants to explore Tokyo fully this time only, and come back again to visit the other regions. And next time we'll pick a better time, like spring or autumn to visit Kyoto.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Loc13
Thank you all for your input! My travel partner has decided she wants to explore Tokyo fully this time only, and come back again to visit the other regions. And next time we'll pick a better time, like spring or autumn to visit Kyoto.
Very sensible decision!

I'd suggest a visit to the Nihon Minka En during this first trip.
http://www.city.kawasaki.jp/88/88minka/home/minka_e.htm
You could combine it with a visit to Mount Takao - there's a beer garden overlooking Tokyo up there in the summer as an extra incentive. Another highlight is the Ukai Toriyama, a truly gorgeous restaurant

If the heat gets a bit much and you feel the urge to get away from the capital you always have the option of the discount JR East pass from the 1st September
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/eastpass_sp/index.html
Unlike with other passes you can buy this one in Japan so you can keep your plans flexible with room for sponteneity.
This pass will let you visit somewhere cooler, perhaps in the mountains as well as an experience of the bullet train.
Other options with this pass would be Nikko and Nagano (from which you can get a bus or train to see the celebrated snow 'monkeys'/macaques.)

Even if you activate it for just two day trips and then use it as a way to pay for the Narita Express back to the airport it's a great travel bargain.

On your next visit you can just stick to the area around Kyoto/Osaka.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 7:14 am

Hello all, this is my first message here, i'll be going to japan too sometime in 2011 (possibly late July or early april). Anyway, i have been to japan once before, and i have some input on the "what to see in tokyo" issue.

If i'm not mistaken there are no major matsuri at the time you're saying you're going to go to Japan, but i'd suggest that you search for smaller ones, maybe there's something you can watch, also september sumo tournament ends a day before you arrive. doh! :S

Ok, anyway, Tokyo options...

(1) I think your trip is in baseball season, so you could catch some baseball on Tokyo dome, and maybe combine that with a breef visit to the tokyo dome amusement park, and laqua spa.
Also, there's a traditional park right next to Tokyo dome city called koishikawa korakuen park, which seems very nice.

(2)Visit the Imperial palace, i've never been inside it, and from what i read you can do an application to visit by Imperial household agency so that you can take a special tour for it. Anyway, my opinion is that it's worth the visit even if you don't get in it, also you could combine this with a visit to Yasukuni Shrine and the war museum.

(3)You could make a day of this: Visit very early in the morning the Tsukiji fish market for the end of the auction and a fresh sushi breakfast, after that briefly visit asakusa, and take the boat ride to odaiba, and then leave odaiba by monorail etc. Do not do this over the weekend.

(4) If you plan to visit akihabara do it on a sunday when the main street becomes full of cosplayers, i am not sure that this is still the case because i've heard there was some problem with this. Search for info before you go to akihabara, or you'll likely not find what you're looking for, and miss out on all the "hidden" cool shops. Also, while you're at akihabara you may wan't to go to a ufo-catcher shop, a old-school or new arcade shop, a maid cafe and check out if you can get a ticket to go see akb48 (this you have to do before you go to japan).
And since it's also best to visit harajuku on sunday i'd say combine them, since you've got only one sunday.

(5) You could visit Ueno park, it's a very cool park. Also it has a lovely little temple where the "flame of hiroshima" is held. A museum is right next to the park, and i've also heard that there's a walk you can take nearby that's very nice.

(6) If you plan on visiting Tokyo Tower, don't do it on the weekend because you'll wait too much time to get in, also go just before sundown so that you can get a view of the city while it's daytime and on night-time, try taking a detour in the small shops that are inside (I've heard there's a cool curry museum or something somewhere in there which i didn't find) and avoid going on to the upper level of the tower, it's not worth your money or time spend waiting on the line. It generally is not a bad experience, though some may say you can easily find better ways to spend your time in tokyo.

(7) Consider taking a one-day trip to kamakura.

(8) Do NOT go to ROPONGI for a night out, stay away!! It's a tourist trap!!! Go to ginza instead.

(9) Also, check out if you'd wan't to go to ghibli museum (Should check if there are tickets available very early), shimokitazawa area (Don't know if this is "destroyed" now :S), also you could check out kabuki theater, which i've heard has temporary moved from kabuki-za to another theater.

Last edited by Eudaimonia; Jul 13, 2010 at 7:48 am
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Given the location of the PH in Tokyo, best to buy the LimoBus+Subway package to get into the city/hotel. IIRC it's just 3000Y, the bus takes you right to the hotel door and you also get a separate day pass which can be used on the non-JR subways (the one actually nearest to the PH). There is also a return package for twice the amount, with a two-day subway pass. Trying to navigate either of the two train systems to get into the city, then connecting to get to the Shinjuku area, would be folly for first-timers. Though after a few days in Tokyo you'll feel more comfortable about riding the rails.

http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/discou.../en/index.html

Like others, I do think you're wise to focus on Tokyo alone as there will be much to see. Save Kyoto for another trip (as I am planning to do this fall after three trips to Tokyo/Yokohama).
Old Jul 16, 2010, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Thank you LapLap and Eudaimonia for the suggestions! I've been spending way too much time at work looking at places to visit... Has anyone used the LonelyPlanet guidebook, if so what do you think about it? Is it useful and worth it?

Shareholder, for the first night (8/27) we'll most likely be staying at Grand Hyatt Tokyo, or maybe Hyatt Regency Hakone if I can't find availability for it on 8/28. I'll do some more research on the LimoBus pass and see if it makes sense. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old Jul 16, 2010, 9:05 pm

Programs: Dirt
I would not use Hakone as a backup for Tokyo properties, as Hakone is over an hour away from Tokyo. If your flight arrives in Narita around mid-afternoon, it will be almost night by the time you reach Hakone.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Loc13
Thank you LapLap and Eudaimonia for the suggestions! I've been spending way too much time at work looking at places to visit... Has anyone used the LonelyPlanet guidebook, if so what do you think about it? Is it useful and worth it?

Shareholder, for the first night (8/27) we'll most likely be staying at Grand Hyatt Tokyo, or maybe Hyatt Regency Hakone if I can't find availability for it on 8/28. I'll do some more research on the LimoBus pass and see if it makes sense. Thanks for the suggestion!
Even more so for the Grand since it is not on a JR line train line (rendering the N'Ex/Suica combo impractical) and navigating the regular subways from the Kesei Skyliner is not for the first timer to Tokyo. Limobus will also take you directly to the GH, and the pass is usable on the nearby subway lines. Never heard of the Hyatt Hakone.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by msb0b
I would not use Hakone as a backup for Tokyo properties, as Hakone is over an hour away from Tokyo.
+1

I've been familiar with different updates of the Lonely Planet Guide to Japan.

For Tokyo and the area around it I'd suggest instead the Time Out Guide to the city.
http://www.timeout.jp/en/tokyo

Pick up something else for other areas of Japan just before you travel there (these guides do become outdated PARTICULARLY for Tokyo)

I've never seen a Tokyo guidebook with usable maps though. Best advice I can give is to supplement your choice of guidebook with the excellent Kodansha bilingual city atlas: http://www.kodansha-intl.com/books/h...770025036.html

And be sure to check your intended hotel locations with google maps before you commit to any of them.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Best guide maps for Tokyo -- and most large Japanese cities -- are put out by the Japanese Tourist Bureau offices. If you live in NYC, LA or Toronto (in NAmerica) you can drop in and pick up ideal material. Otherwise go on line and order them by mail. Also try to get a copy of the superb quarterly INFOMAP JAPAN, a great magazine with maps for various areas of Tokyo and several other cities (featured regions vary by issue). You can sample it at:
www.infomapjapan.com

I make a point of picking up a copy every three months either from the tourist bureau office near my place, or from the YYZ T1 AC Maple Leaf Lounge which often has copies, eve if I have no plans for a visit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.