Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Uncommon, Distinctive Japanese Beers? (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uncommon, Distinctive Japanese Beers? (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2007, 5:26 am

Programs: UA (former CO), TrueBlue, Etc.
Beerpub POPEYE is excellent - they have an excellent selection of microbrews from around Japan, Europe, and the USA, and the service was fantastic. All the waitstaff seemed to speak English - and even if they couldn't speak perfectly, everyone I spoke with knew enough to describe the beers when I asked about the taste, quality, and so forth.

Additionally, it's not listed on the menu, but I know they've had a "tasting menu" for years - it was about 2000 yen, and they brought you twelve "mini-glasses" (about 5-6 oz. each) of various beers on the menu. My friends and I ordered two "sets" and had a pretty decent time, as well as the ability to try out a number of fine beers.
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Asahi Beer Village site for me and post the opening hours including what days it is open and closed. Thanks.
Do you mean a brewery tour, Obiwan? If not post the friggin link and I am sure someone will lend a hand!
Old Sep 5, 2007, 8:11 am

There is a guy in Aizu wakamatsu who has a microbrewery and large pub. He won a prize as the best microbrewer in Europe a few years ago. Fantastic beer.^^^
Old Sep 5, 2007, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
The link was contained in post 8, but QSG, you're correct to chastise me as I follishly refered to it as the Asahi, and not Kirin Beer Village. (Babelfish didn't do much of a job at it...) The last couple of tabs seem to have information about dates and hours and the like but not much I can fathom (i.e. days open, closed).

Originally Posted by JKD
offers free tours (and my colleagues told me a free sample at the end). There is a cafe as well as a selection of IIRC ~8 different beers, plus tasting sampler sets.

some pretty good info here:
http://www.kirin.co.jp/about/brewery...oko/index.html

according to JNTO website:
Keihin Kyuko Line Namamugi Station - 8 minutes' walk.
JR Keihin Tohoku Line Tsurumi Station - 10 minutes by Taxi.
JR Yokohama Station - 20 minutes by Taxi.

enjoy !

TY also appears to have a taster tray of their own brews...but the selection at POPEYE looks pretty intriguing to get a sampling of various Japanese micobreweries. IPA and other styles of Pale Ale tends to interest me most.

Not sure if I will be adventurous enough to venture down the coast from Yokohama to find the Baird Brewery, though it looks interesting.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 7:20 pm
JKD

kirin beer village

here's the access map run through the google translator
http://translate.google.com/translat...Z_enJP232JP233

Some tour hours from the JNTO site:
http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/location/s...gawa/k019.html
(closed on Mondays unless it is a holiday; then it's closed on Tuesday)

The restaurant hours are 11am-10pm, with last food order at 9:15.
(closed on Mondays unless it's a holiday; then it's closed on Tuesday)

if you decide to go and need more info, I can ask my colleagues to confirm

Enjoy Giraffe Beer Village
Old Sep 5, 2007, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Thank you for the links and the Google translations...I think I've got it all figured out now!
Old Sep 6, 2007, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not a brew pub, but kind of convenient to Strings (Hamamatsucho Station, South entrance) and with over 50 kinds of beer available - several as draft.

Beer Kitchen Aoshima

They serve Jamon Serrano (and have a huge leg which they seem to cut to order - a very good sign that they know how to do things properly), at lunchtime, among other things, they advertise a hamburger made with Kobe beef for ¥1,000.

They're having a British Bass pale ale fair in September.

They seem to have some all you can drink (perhaps eat?) deals, but I don't know enough Japanese to work out the details.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 10:23 pm

Programs: Global Entry · WN, UA, AS, DL, NH; IHG, Wyndham, Hilton, Best Value Inn, Marriott, Starwood, Ramada
Thumbs up Have a bunch

O.K. I can help here. This is the English-language page for Beer Bar POPEYE at Ryogoku 2-18-7, Sumida-Ku.
Here is a coupon which can be printed out and redeemed there.
I am off for Tokyo tomorrow. On Saturday (& probably Monday - a national holiday in Japan), I will attend the Great Japan Beer Fest in Yokohama. You will be able to taste numerous Japanese craft beers there in 50 mL samples.
The Sapporo Ebisu beer tour is fairly standard. However, you will be able to understand what is being shown even with only a frail comprehension of Japanese. Yes, you do have to buy tokens for the beers. Sometimes however, one or two of the beers on tap are small releases which will not get to many on-premise locations.

Last edited by pudgym29; Sep 7, 2023 at 8:34 pm Reason: Coupon is gone. Beer list updated (yes, 16 years later).
Old Sep 12, 2007, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pudgym29
O.K. I can help here. This is the English-language page for Beer Bar POPEYE at Ryogoku 2-18-7, Sumida-Ku.
I'll have to try and convince MrLapLap to get me here - as well as the local brews, they do Onion Blossoms
I've been wanting to one of these for years... (I've never seen or heard of them in the UK)

....Hmmm... more I think about it, more I'm remembering Akihabara station as being particularly unfriendly for those of us with mobility issues... darn!

Last edited by LapLap; Sep 12, 2007 at 5:28 am
Old Sep 12, 2007, 10:43 pm
JKD

blooming onions

LapLap, for a blooming onion fix you can try
http://www.englishok.jp/shops/outback.php
(Until last month, I had no idea there were any, let alone so many, in Japan!)
It's called Typhoon Bloom

I see there's one near Strings Shinagawa, as well as beer so we're back on topic
http://www.englishok.jp/shops/outbac...wa_bar/map.php
there's even a coupon !

I think I recall the Enoshima Tony Roma's also had them; that location is closed and I haven't been to another in a while. Here are a few others .....
http://www.tonyromas.com/files/locat...?Country=Japan
{oooooooops, they have an "onion loaf", not a blooming onion !}

enjoy .......
pudgym29 likes this.

Last edited by JKD; Sep 13, 2007 at 5:59 pm Reason: updated Tony Roma info
Old Sep 12, 2007, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JKD
LapLap, for a blooming onion fix you can try
http://www.englishok.jp/shops/outback.php
(Until last month, I had no idea there were any, let alone so many, in Japan!)
It's called Typhoon Bloom
You're an angel! And indeed there it is. And I know exactly where the Shinagawa Outback is. Thanks for saving me from pangs of regret at not embarking on a gruelling schlep ^
(I've been to Ryogoku on several occasions, but it just wasn't on the cards this time)
Old Sep 13, 2007, 4:25 pm

Programs: NH Super Flyer (*G), Eurostar Carte Blanche, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Accor ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Applefan
There is also a well know bar in the Ryogoku area of Tokyo that I hear is very good called Popeye. http://www.lares.dti.ne.jp/~ppy/engl...shTopPage.html
I would certainly recommend Popeye, especially if you like what the British would call "real ales". The Iwate kura IPA is excellent.
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by LapLap
You're an angel! And indeed there it is. And I know exactly where the Shinagawa Outback is. Thanks for saving me from pangs of regret at not embarking on a gruelling schlep ^
(I've been to Ryogoku on several occasions, but it just wasn't on the cards this time)
Forget it. They have a huge winding staircase.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mcg1000
I would certainly recommend Popeye, especially if you like what the British would call "real ales". The Iwate kura IPA is excellent.
The hoppier the better...I will be sampling all the IPA styles next month!
Old Sep 13, 2007, 9:16 pm
JKD

two outbacks in Shinagawa ?

Originally Posted by Tokyorich
Forget it. They have a huge winding staircase.
to which one are you referring ? one is in the basement and the other on the 3rd floor ....

looking at their map, looks like there are two (just found a different map !)
http://www.outbacksteakhouse.co.jp/e...ion/index.html

Address :
Takanawa Keikyu Hotel B1F
4-10-8, Takanawa
Minato-ku, Tokyo, Japan 108-0074

One minute walk from "Shinagawa" station
"Takanawa" side of JR-Line
Tel : 03-5798-3501

and the Bar & Grill, which is closer to Strings:
Address :
Shinagawa Grand Commons
Taiyo-Seimei Shinagawa Bldg. 3F 2-16-2
Kohnan Minato-ku Tokyo 108-0075

5 minutes walk from "Shinagawa" station,
"Kohnan" Exit of JR-Line
Tel : 03-6718-2761
Fax : 03-6718-2762

I haven't been inside either one; I just happened to pass one of them while biking last month ..... thanks !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.